• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 18, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Dan, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
The 105 IMO is a very good Cub Cadet. My favorite Cub Cadet is the 12 hp version from the same series, the 125. The hydraulic lift was an option, as were headlights and a rear lift. Chances are the steering will be loose and sloppy, fairly easy to fix. The hydrostatic control lever may be loose, it's held onto a splined shaft with a setscrew. The hydrostatic control trunion will likely be worn, click on this link to see the info in the FAQ on fixing it When you get to the Hydro Trunion FAQ link, be sure to follow the additional links at the bottom of the pages for more info. The drive shaft to engine coupler will most likely look like the one that Todd H. posted yesterday. Pretty much any <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet is worth getting and fixing up.
thumbsup.gif

Kraiq i have install the head lights on my O and when the hood is opened the hood will rest on the light bracket. Is this normal??? Today i`am taking the 12 k from the 125 that i had the K in from the 129. will have to paint the tin and have her ready for the 129. I hope to spray the yellow and white next week and start to put her back to running order. Thanks For all your Help with my Cubs. later Don T
thumbsup_old.gif

Dale

You and Steve have awsome looking setups with dual tires! (I'm going to pic on Mr. Plow for a minute because I have a few pics of his 782 doing its business.) My question is; is the outside tire just for looks(no offens meant
angel.gif
) or is it serving a functional purpose for your machines such as a lever for the ballast and/or ground contact? I've been looking Steve's setup as my example and I can't really tell by the picture weather there is consistant contact with the ground or not. I would guess not, judging by the angle that the tractor sits in the furrow but I'm no expert.

114900.jpg

114901.jpg

I've been running about 125 lbs in each wheel but I'm thinking that all the overhang on the furrow side may not be worth the extra ballast. Depending on the ground conditions soil gets caked around it and starts to push the furrow tire up somewhat, depending on the depth of the furrow.

Do you think that the 12" plow pulls better than the 10"? Just a thought, I know it's a streach. Need weather to break so I can test some of these theories.

I can definatly say one thing, when the 122 was hooked up good, the 40 lbs of suitcase weights was a little light. The front would start to come up so I must be getting closer on the set up part. Will just have to keep working at it.
Thanks for all the input.

Don, sounds like the headlight brackets were not installed per the dimensions in the instructions.
dunno.gif
Can you post a photo or 3 of your headlight install?

114903.jpg

Kraiq, never finished the install ( wires) because the way the wire must go i want to buy some kind of clip to hold them in place.
I used the corner as a reference and measured down 2 and a half in. and drilled. (worng) this grill is not the same on both sides. I think i need to take the hood off and redrill but using the boltholes for the hood as a guide?later Don T
114906.jpg

Kraig, thank you very much...the guy says it runs good and everything works..he only wants a nominal fee for it....I am to see it today at 3pm. does anyone have anything to add? thanx again..Dan

BRIAN - Back in the day, on full sized tractors with a dual on the land wheel We used to plow 20 acres of old hog pasture every year, normally tough alfalfa sod but some of the ground would be totally smooth & bare but still pulled hard. When the main land wheel starts spinning the sidewalls squat just a bit and the lugs bite deeper into the ground the dual wheel does start increasing it's footprint and helping to pull the load. Plus it's added weight. But there would be places where the dual wheel wasn't leaving any tracks on the ground. This was on a very hard surface, in old corn or bean ground the dual would be in contact just about all the time.
The pull or "Draft" of a plow is directly proportional to the amount of dirt it's rolling over at a constant speed, the 12" Brinley should pull about 20% harder than the 10". One BIG factor is that plow bottoms are only designed to pull efficiently when they are as deep in the ground as one-half their width. So 10" Brinley = 5" deep, 12" Brinley = 6" deep. Once You get a plow socked into the ground as deep as the bottom is wide the pull goes WAY up.
I remember one time DAD wanted to add to His garden and tied a 14" horse-drawn plow to the drawbar of the Super H with a chain to turn over some sod. He got a little deep in some spots and pulled this 5500# 30 HP tractor to a stop trying to pull this one-bottom plow 12-15 inches deep. This tractor should have been able to pull 2-14's in 2nd gear in those conditions at a "Normal" plowing depth but I was spinning out in 1st gear.
I always run about 65-70# of weights on both wheels of the 72 and the best performance I had at a PD I had an extra 50# plus the 65-70# on the land wheel. You can adjust "on-the-go" with body english for difficult traction conditions and tough spots. I also think the smaller normal length CC's transfer weight from the front to the drive wheels much better than the GST's with their longer wheel bases, but You can get them "Light in the front" also.
Depending on if You can run weights "inside" on the rear wheels (internal brake rearend) or not (external wheel-mounted disc brakes) I would think 75#-100# on the furrow wheel and 50# more on the land wheel would be a good combination. Two or three CC weights on the outside of the furrow wheel shouldn't be a problem picking up dirt and raising the tire off the ground, four may be a problem.

One thing I will say, plowing on a CC is fun but it's a WHOLE LOT rougher ride than plowing on a full-size tractor. The more I look at Steve's 782 plowing the more I think I need to make a set of duals! Someday SON & I will have both the 70 & 72 at a plowday. They might even have duals on!

DAN W. - On these older CC's, especially the 72/104/105/124/125 series there are no real problems with any of the major components. The K-series Kohlers are simple & reliable, the Hydro-static transmissions are bullet-proof. The narrow frames like the 105 are a little harder to do major repair work on the transmission or rearend or hydro but Kraig mentioned all the things to look at. Keep in mind that tractor is FORTY years old. A little wear is to be expected. Normal servicing is simple and easy. Remember to ask if the Owner's manual and any service manuals/parts books come with the tractor. If not, get them if You get the tractor. And We'll need to see pictures when You get it home!

Don, how about a photo of a side view with the hood closed, and one showing where the hood hits?

i Hate to show you how i made a mess on the install. Oh well that can be welded and redrilled
114911.jpg

114912.jpg

114913.jpg

Don, that looks right!
1a_scratchhead.gif
I'll have to check mine, perhaps it hits the light brackets too, I never let the hood open fully. Here's a trick I learned from Dan Hoefler: put fiber washers between the hood and the grill and snug up the hinge bolts so the hood is held in place by friction. Ummm, Regarding the wire clips....

KRAIG - If You have a small enough hole saw, 3/4" to 1" You can drill holes out of plastic milk jugs, then enlarge the center holes to 3/8" dia. and use those as friction washers for the hood. BT-DT, Works good too.

Denny, yeah but I can buy fiber washers for about $0.50 each at my local Ace Hardware store. I like to make stuff but in this case my time is worth more then that.
wink.gif

Brian,

Dennis did a great write up about plowing and duals. With our Cubs the width of the wheel base is very short so the dual on the land wheel(left wheel) becomes a weight most of the time. Of course it also acts as extra traction when that tire spins.

Here's one of my favorite pictures of my son Andrew plowing. The dual wheel is just an extra 25-30 pound weight in this pic. This Cub has a 25 pound wheel weight on each side, and the Firestone Ags are loaded with Fluid. If I remember correctly the Left Dual setup weighed approx 130 pounds, and the right weighed around 100.
114919.jpg

In this pic the ground is much softer and you can see where both tires(duals) are touching/working, plus Andrew is using some of his movable weight... Same Kid different Cub. No fluid in these tires, a 40 pound weight on the furrow tire and a 30 pound on the duals.
114920.jpg

Here's a Pic of both Cub sitting together.
114921.jpg

I think duals on the landside on a cub does very little help for plowing. I do think it looks nice though. I have plowed more without a dual than with. Same for the weights on the front, they do help keeping the wheel in the furrow but are not needed.

Kraiq and Dennis thanks as allways for all your help. Fiber washer on the 2 O`s and a few more Cubs. Just a great idea,, Thanks Don T
114924.jpg

I did paint some parts on the 129 and have the K soon ready for paint.the cylinders will be Red .

VINCE - Those two pictures speak VOLUMES about how duals work when plowing.
The ground sure is working up nice in the second pic where the duals on the land wheel are both working.

Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) I would love to bring a Cub down and plow with them. I know it would be great and the soil i see is so soft, well i`d love to hear them Bark.We have to many stones ( rocks)and to hard on the Cub to just lay into a cut. Some day i hope to see this and you all . Later Don T
old.gif

DON - I know what Your saying about ROCKS....We never had ROCKS in the fields where I grew up.... But here inside the Cheddar Curtain (Wisconsin) We have rocks.
You happen to get to a PD I bet You could find a tractor & plow to borrow & run for as long as You want...and someone to buy You lunch and something to drink! But bring Your picture books...and be prepared to talk for hours! They're an ALL DAY affair!

I wanted to remind all Florida Cubbers the Florida Flywheelers 17th Annual Antique Engine & Tractor Show featuring Antique LAWN AND GARDEN TRACTORS is coming up February 25 thru 28th. I am planning to be there on Friday the 27th. How about letting me know if you're going. Ray are you going to have a spot this year?

Dennis made a good point on the soil condiations being a huge factor. Sometimes the dual is working and sometimes it there for looks. The dual comes in handy to finish out dead furrows or to plow the ends of the field.

I have traction problems on a single land tire(8.50 tires). If I run 10.50s on my 149 I will break pins in the driveshaft. I haven't broke a pin (yet) since I went to 8.50 tires. The ride is what sold me. The tractor felt like a bucking horse at the rodeo on 10.50 tires when plowing. The 8.50s have a smooth ride.

If you look at the ground closely in Brian B first post today (first picture-10:21 AM) it looks like looks the inside land tire is on top of a bean row. If that's the case there is a inch or two difference in the soil height. Looks like Steve used the same planter for corn and beans.

Vince T
Are you using a 6-12 ag tire for a dual? Tire looks a little smaller in height and width.

My Son's 86 and my 149 need front end weights when pulling the 12 inch plow.

Which pulls better 10 or 12 inch plow?
Soil condiations and horsepower are 2 big factors. I have an 10 and 12 inch plow. I think the 12 inch plow does a better job turning the soil over than a 10 inch plow. Son usually pulls the 12 inch with his 86. I haven't had much time using the 12 inch plow.

The weights on the furrow side are even to 2 inches beyond the side of the tire on my Cubs.

Latest posts

Back