• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 25, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken:
Thanks for the response on the lube for the 90% gear box for the snow blower on my 129. One more question. Regarding the grease. Is an all purpose grease good or is a special grease suggested?
Thanks again for any help
Earl LaMott

Earl,

I just used some "wheel bearing grease" from a can and thinned it with some gear oil. I thinned it until I thought it would not be able to sling off of the gears and get stuck it the recesses of the housing. It should flow enough to keep the gears lubricated. I did not worry too much about it. Whatever I did was better than the old hardened grease in the case. But that grease might have been 30 - 40 years old.

I'll soon be installing a creeper on my 1000. Do I need a gasket or will RTV silicone stuff suffice?

And speaking of a hydro-creeper, can the linkages on a hydro be adjusted for less speed but a wider low range? I'm going to be setting up an extra 129 for a dedicated logger hauling firewood out of the woods (maybe even setting it up for small log skidding) and wouldnt have much use for high speed and would rather have greater control over low speed. I've never adjusted a hydro yet (but have seen the faq's, just not sure if there is a 'range' adjustment or not).

Could anyone please post a picture of an Original Sleeve Hitch spring assist bracket of they have one? I saved two O's from the scrap today and one has a strange bracket on it

GLEN - I tried to keep my home-made baffles about 1/8th to 3/16th inch away from the blade tips. Closer is better.

EARL - I know it's contrary to some of the snow blower manuals, but I'd use gear oil in the 90 degree gearbox. 80W-90 would be good. It's thick enough in cold temps not to leak. Grease just won't flow and after a little while you'll have dry gears & bearings.

Tristan,
Yes you need a gasket, Cubs don't like silicon anywhere.

Ryan M.
Here's the whole thing.
232105.jpg

Thank you Charlie, thats exactly what my bracket looks like. That right there just made saving those two Originals worthwile
happy.gif

Tristan,

Black RTV works great on the rear cover. I actually have better luck with fewer leaks. Just get it VERY clean.
My engine oil pan on my Duramax is nothing but silicone...just sayin'
Charlie would be glad sell you a gasket.
taunt.gif

Rick beem

Thats funny lol , I can see Charlie
rant.gif
now.

I have use The right stuff on more than one Cub rear end as a gasket. I think if its good for a oxygen sensor for a car ( and they are fussy) I`am good.you won`t get a leak using it and it does not cause problems with your Hytran. My .02

Back