• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 25, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul B. That's what it looks like to me. By driving through the rear PTO with a hydraulic motor, I can get a real slow speed for trenching. I'm afraid if I leave the drive shaft in, I could break something if I engaged the rear hydraulic motor (that turns the PTO) and had the tractor in gear at the same time.

Also, anyone have any clue why they'd call it a ground saw instead of a trencher. It was built in the mid 60's. I don't think "trencher" would've have ever been copyrighted???

Ken F. I may have done the search incorrectly, but the only thing I could find from Eric Tyler was in April 2008 and he had two Vermeer trenchers. I sent him an email just to check. Thanks for the info.

Paul

Paul Funk,

I may have led you astray. Looking at Google search results, it looked like Hawk Built was a Vermeer product. I now see that there are Hawk Built Groundsaws and Vermeer trenchers mounted on Cub Cadets and that they are different machines.

Best of Luck!

Paul F, Paul B, I mentioned I didn't know anything
happy.gif
. I'm not aurguing with anyone, I guess I'm asking. You can run the transmission that slow and still have enough revalutions to run anouther hydraulic pump off the back PTO?

Those groundsaws are neat units, apparently very rare too. Ive only ever seen this one and one other on a 125 I believe a few years back on the forum.
In other news, I was clearing out alot of scrub and under brush that had been let grow a little too long, and while "bush-hogging" I managed to have my deck rip the entire baffle off of itself. Havent taken the blades off yet to see how they fared...about to somewhat restore my deck anyway so I suppose it was trying to tell me something.
facepalm.gif

Dave, no, that's not the way I think it's suppose to work. There's a hydraulic pump that runs full time off the front of the engine.

232086.jpg

That pump runs a hydraulic motor that has a chain drive to the rear PTO. So, when the hydraulic motor turns, it turns the rear PTO. If the transmission is in gear, the PTO will cause the tractor to move. That is, instead of the transmission driving the PTO, the PTO will drive the transmission. I don't have the chain drive to the rear PTO hooked up yet, or I'd show you a picture. Clear as mud????

Glen-Isnt that a loud noise when the baffles decide to go? haha. I just did that to my 105 a few weeks back. Had a old junk deck on it with some wore out triangular shaped blades on it mowing tall grass and sticks and CLLLLANNNGGGGG...the baffles are hitting the blades!

Brian J-

Thanks for the input on the tiller mounting. I have been brainstorming it and figured the arms could be part of the problem. The problem with the lift dowel is its length. Even with it lowered I can't turn the handle to adjust. It appears to need a longer dowel which wouldn't be too hard to make.

Well, to be perfectly honest, the spark show was pretty good too, that's what caught my eye honestly. My cub is pretty loud, and my deck is noisy too, tired bearings I guess, and was wearing ear protection. I couldn't figure out what that "W" shaped piece of metal that appeared to be unearthed came from, and then it dawned on me...
jawdrop.gif
"oh crap..." upon further inspection...the PO couldn't weld to save his life and sure enough...it literally fell off. Im not sure its even the original baffle, looks like hardware store 1 1/4" stock strap that was bent. Its now needing to be re-bent and re welded by yours truly or my uncle. Ive got lots of nice holes to weld up too now that the bondo has chipped away...oi. What can I say, I was young and its my first and only cub haha.
a_blink2.gif

Charlie, thanks for posting the price list, I'll take one of the 24" x 6"
wink.gif

GLEN - Since your re-making you baffle anyhow, I made the one on my modified 38" deck from 2" wide x 1/8" thk steel. It doesn't get bent up when I hit an occasional tree limb and I think the deeper baffle helps remove more of the clippings. I didn't have my MIG welder when I made it so it was arc welded. I was a better welder than I normally give myself credit for! Nice thing about those older IH decks is the steel is really thick, I welded on it several places and didn't blow a single hole thru it! Now my 50C is a different story, the MIG is set on it's lowest settings when I've welded up cracks from the rear gauge wheels on it.

PAUL B., PAUL F., DAVE R, IH made a "Hydro-Creepr" for several tractors using a hyd. motor driving the PTO or maybe the belt pulley. Think maybe the CUB Farmall, A/B, and maybe the C. Think it was for the same application, running a trencher. I suspect you can vary the speed by shifting the trans into different gears as well as vary hyd. motor speed. Seems like there was an article in Red Power several years ago about a Hydro-Creeper on something.

Denny,
Don't think there was a hydro-creeper for the Cub. The Howard Rotavator(sp)(rear tiller attachment) used a mechanical "despeeder" that fit between the differential and the left drop box/final drive that reduced speed when engaged, and IH built a Cub Lo-Boy highway mower that used one, or something similar, on both left and right axles, and the Auburn Trencher attachment used the same type of "despeeder" I believe.

At the IHCC Auction held during Cub-Arama, there was a M-147A Vermeer Trencher built on a 149 Cub Cadet. It had a shaft down the left side of the tractor, belt driven off the back of the engine, and then a belt from that shaft to a hyd pump and or motor behind the hydro pump on the tractor, that appeared to be part of the trencher operating system. This thing had not run in quiet awhile, and with all the sheet metal, guards, and other assorted rusty stuff, it was hard to see how everything operated, but it appeared the the tractor still had a drive shaft. I have a copy of a brochure on the 147A, but it doesn't show or tell that much about the operation of the unit. It did not sell, high bid was about $500 below the reserve.

PAUL - I thought a roro-tiller would be another job where slow variable speeds were needed.

The term "Hydro-Creeper" stuck in my mind. After a quick GOOGLE I found this comment on YT, D7Fever about half way down said they had a 140 w/Hydro-Creeper when he was a kid. http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=585931

Wish my old issues of RPM were better organized, I'd try to find that back issue with the article. Guy Fay wrote a real nice article about 10-12 yrs ago about the evolution of IH red paint, I looked for a MONTH about 5 yrs ago and never did find that issue.

John, that needs to move up and down to be able to adjust the drive belt tension.

Dennis, I was just about to ask what the advantages were to different baffle types or widths, Id like to use thicker steel and weld up the baffle and all the awesome holes in my deck, those areas are thinner though so I'll have to be careful with the MIG so that I dont burn even more holes in the deck lol
lazerburn.gif

lurking.gif

Hey, someone check if Charlie locked the front door.
How come there are no lights on around here? <font size="-2">Did the last one out turn them off ??</font>

Back