• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 08, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don T.
Is your key to hit the parts lookup broke this morning?
Screw w/Internal Tooth Lock Washer, 10-24 x 3/8 C-Z Slt Rd Hd Mach

Denny, one "draft" I saw wanted anyone who purchases a case of oil to supply ID so the oil could be tracked! Almost like buying a firearm! It's the politicians holding this back for now!

Ralph L., don't change to new valve springs! The new pressures will be close!

The other irony I find is that we now have diesel trucks adding urea to keep the exhaust clean! (along with less sulpher and ash levels), Remember the combo that took down a OK courthouse? I still don't understand how the EPA justifies it!?!?! Sometimes at any cost?

MIKE - I forget what magazine I saw this cartoon in, maybe Newsweek, but back in the early 70's, this little car, looked like a VW Bug, going down the road with this dirty foul air everywhere .... and the little PUFFS out the sxhaust pipe were all pretty, colorful, & green.... Saw a post on another forum last week that said the exhaust coming out the end of new car tailpipes is cleaner than the air going INTO the engine in some bigger cities right now. Our little Kohler's will never run that clean.

Frankly, I don't find it odd that the EPA wants to track oil. I signed a paper where I buy my leaded race gas that I won't use it in a polution controlled vehicle on highways several years ago. And I had to buy "SPECIAL" fertilizer to winterize my yard fall of '10 because my county prohibits the use of one form of nitrate. They sell tons of the prohibited stuff but only to people outside my county. It all ends up in the streams, rivers, & lakes and promotes weed & algea growth. Farmers in production agriculture don;t have to go thru that, they do have to have a license to spray their own herbicides & pesticides, but they're much more responsible with fertilizers.

Some of these restrictions I have to agree with. But If I buy a case of oil, even though it's now required by law, if I go back into that store with 10-15 gallons of waste oil I know how they would act. I have a well on my property, I'm fussy about how I handle used waste oil, antifreeze, paint, gasoline, chemicals. I don't want it in my well. But I also want a place where I can get rid of them easily. The county recycle center where PAUL R. worked was 3 miles down the road, but they tore it down and built a grocery store & McDonalds there now. They won't let me dump used motor oil there now.

From what I've read on diesel pickup sites, the environmental agencies in the US want diesels to run to the same cleanliness standards as gas engines. That's why the new Ford, Chevy, Case/IH engines need DEF (diesel exh. fluid), urea. In Europe the diesel's have to burn dirtier fuel, more sulpher, etc. but have their own standards to meet. Also about 80% of their cars are diesel powered where maybe 10-15% are in the US.

Where SON works the new Tier 4 compliant engine costs $25,000 MORE to the end customer than the tier 3 did. The new engine has two turbochargers, not 1, has coolers for everything, coolant, oil, intake air, fuel, exhaust, the whole engine package increased in size about 25%, and about 100% more complex. A new design Tier 4 compliant version is coming out in another year or so, will be diesel-Electric like a RR locomotive. The computer will control the operation of the engine, not the operator.

And probably not too much after that we'll be required to fit cat. converters to our 50 yr old lawn mowers.

I read an article couple months ago that the largest polluter in the beef industry is the transportation to/from packing plants then customers. Second biggest polluter is the cows themselves. Evidently their FLATULENCE is a pollutant too! Their answer to this situation is for everyone to eat TOFU.

Like you said MIKE, Wait till those EPA people find out that the real cause of pollution is PEOPLE.

Feb 9. No snow for blowing or plowing. I give up. Time to put the tiller on.

Dennis Frisk

I`am lucky I don`t have a problem getting rid of my waste oil.Local trucking company up the road has a furnace to burn waste oil and told me they would be glad to have all I have to discard.I have an old style rocked well and great water . I take care in what I use around my property. my 125 is showing sings of life soon .Today I looked all all the carbs I have here to install a kit I got from Charlie . Seems all my spare Carbs have more play in the shaft than I would like. Guess I have another parts order to do.I might have to "ROB" another Cub to see this rebuilt 12 K run .

Bill J - if you haven't got a manual for the tractor and mowing deck go to the index section of the Forum and select the manuals section. You can download an Operator Manaul for the tractor that includes the mowing deck (toward the end of the manual) that has a section on "Set Up". There are some nice drawings/pics of the sub-frame and mule drive so you can see how it installs and the deck connects as well.

Mike and Dennis - all this talk about pollutents, EPA, oil, diesel, etc. What's your thoughts on the new Valvoline stuff that is 50% recycled. I had thought that oil never really breaks down - it just gets dirty, and that re-refining would return it to what it was originally. I haven't seen/looked for it yet to see how it's graded or what standards it's rated to, and I don't know what part of the market it's actually targetting.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and make sure you keep your dipstick at the F mark)

I really wish we could figure out a better system of dropping off used oil. Right now the only place near me (that I know of) is about 8 miles away. I can "make" it part of my drive to work, but for most it's not that easy. I'm guessing a lot of people would have to drive a LOT further to find a drop-station. The local "jiffy-lube" used to take used oil, but they quit doing that about 4 years ago.

Here's a scary thought...

If "they" want to clean up the current situation with waste-oil, "they" should just outlaw the selling of oil filters. If oil filters are eliminated, there would be little waste-oil in the general public sector.

Scary......

<font size="-2">Of course just before that happens, I will be FIRST in line to buy a half dozen CASES of of oil filters!</font>

Harry-
The guys at my local NAPA tell me they were told that the recycled oil is supposedly BETTER than "virgin" oil for two reasons: 1) It's better homoginized, and 2) it's filtered to a higher standard than "new" oil. I'll buy the "filtered" argument, but I'm not buying the other one. Needless to say, none of the oil in my garage comes in a GREEN bottle!

Brian Johnson
Ge I`am hearing we are getting a few inches of snow in the next few days. Ge I hope so cause I get 3 tools for the job.I have one snow blower out for repair , I striped the gear in the blower fan and having a slip joint welded in to test my theory of a repair before I buy a replacement parts.I have enuf snow moving tools to keep a few neighbors happy also.So far this year I have cleaned the drive 4 times. No fun in that
err.gif
Shift.gif

Too bad one could not find a way to filter and reuse used oil. Think my truck takes 14 litterers for a change.Just add a few additives to the application and be good to use after a 2mc filter.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Home of the Plow Special

Art
I will confess how I found how to get rid of my used oil. I ask the driver of my furnace oil making a home delivery for the house . He told me who to ask, Made a call to the business and ask .They give me back clean buckets when I drop off full ones. I bet you could find places also.
old.gif

Art, is the oil "drop-station" you are referring too the one at the Hudson City yard by the Lake Mallalieu bridge? That's where I take all my old oil.

Regarding having to provide an ID for oil for tracking it. What if you have a vehicle that uses oil and requires topping off between oil/filter changes? How would you track that burned oil? Oh, I suppose they will outlaw that old vehicle...
bash.gif

unfortunately I had to pay for this to follow me home.

235168.jpg

235169.jpg

235170.jpg

235171.jpg

Kraig-
Yep.. That's the only one I know of in our area. It's not a problem, but its rather ironic how many places which are in walking distance from my house that SELL oil, but none of them TAKE used oil.
a---allalone.gif

Jeff-
It looks like someone was using the "passenger" side of that deck to level their gravel driveway!

Harry,

I'm a 1/2 step ahead of you on the reading materials. I downloaded the manuals for the tractor, deck and service manual too. I've been reading FAQ stuff - anything I can get my eye balls on before I get into this 1650 very deep.

On another note, I looked at my tractor last night and I have the front pulley brackets and lift assembly under the tractor - so I'm good there. I even have a belt in my box of parts.

The 44C deck I have is not modified in any way to be a 44A. I assume I can pull the stuff off the 44C and use it on the 44A shell with the exceptionn of the 5/8 pully - which I will need to replace that pully if possible/available.

I'd like to make the tractor a working machine for some summer mowing chores - hope I can make the deck work, else I might be looking for another 44A to use complete or at least in parts.

Speaking of manuals, I haven't see any parts diagrams anywhere online. Do you know if they are availble for download? I know most of the time when I need a part for my Wheelhorse tractors, the parts diagrams/lists are great. It's better if I have the part number than to ask someone over the counter to look one up. They also help with assembly/disassembly too.

One thing this tractor does not have is a seat. In my box of parts, there are two U-shaped brackets that look like they would fit under a seat - but are they used or do I bolt the seat directly to the hinged plate on the tractor above the battery? Aside from that - any seat recommendations?

Thanks!
Bill

Bill, the U-shaped brackets go between the seat and the hinged plate:

235173.jpg

If you click on the "Cub Cadet Parts Lookup" button at the top of the page you can access all sorts of exploded view parts diagrams.

HARRY - I'd always heard there was a little old used oil in new motor oil anyhow.

You have to figure that crude oil comes from decayed dinosaur's covered in earth for thousands of thousands of years. There's bound to be LOTS of dirt and abrasives in the new oil to begin with, so starting with used motor oil has to be better than crude oil.

If it's filtered to the same spec as crude, refined, etc, has the same additives it should work fine.

Art- Check with a local implement shop that has a used oil furnace they generally take the oil. I take mine to work and add it to the "heat fund".

I thought all the places that sold oil were "required" to take in used oil. My local autoparts store chain all have signs on the door they take used oil. I've seen ads for Walmart encouraging you to bring them your used oil. Maybe it's a state law, regulation, etc. Anyway, most seem happy to get it - I think they actually "sell" it to some recyler, who is the one that puts the tank in the back room, so it's a money-maker. I probably shouldn't say this, but I have heard people with oil furnaces just mix add it to their oil tanks and it burns away fine.

Bill J - I believe you'll be able to transfer all the 44C parts to the 44A but you'll want to change all the pulleys to the half inch belt style. Also, before you go installing the engine you need to remove that sub-frame or you'll find it really in the way of trying to install the engine bolts. Kraig pointed you in the direction of the parts web link. I prefer paper myself and have a TC-147 copy if I recall the number correctly. Keep your eye out and you might see someone selling one. How long before you have the cradle done and the engine installed. I'm anxious for a report.

Jeff B - I want to thank you for saving that unit from the scrapper. I understand scrap is pretty high right now so these units are commanding better prices to keep them from going there.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (they just find another resting place).

Back