Archive through February 06, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig - Be ready to "EDIT" Your video a bit before it's released. Your K301 is about as wild as My K321 and the night Son & I fired it up it took probably 15-20 minutes to get it to run decent. Then another two hours on top of that for fine tuning. Biggest problem was getting a load on the engine. Stuff that would bring the tired old K241 to it's knees the 321 just played with.

Brian B-
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

"Just need to get the (charging) system balanced for PD........"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

If I were you, I'd worry about having enough fuel in the tank first!
beer2.gif
bouncy.gif
buttrock.gif
biggrin.gif
roflol.gif

Denny, yeah, I'll likely take more then one video anyway. One of the initial start and another after the head bolts are retorqued and I can rev it up some.
buttrock.gif
Per David I need to run it at ~1500 RPM for 30 minutes then shut it down and let it cool, retorque the head bolts then I can start it up again and set the governor. David said it should be close but may require a little tweaking of the carb and I WILL need to set the governor to limit the RPM to 3900 RPM.

For those that are interested, here's the details from David on my engine.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

KRAIG McCONAUGHEY’S KOHLER K301 ENGINE BUILD SUMMARY

Block- Intake and exhaust runners ported and polished, all corners radiused
Intake port chamfer filled and matched to carburetor thermal isolator
Intake and exhaust valve pockets relieved on deck surface
Bored .030 oversize to 3.405 diameter
Total displacement = 29.594 in^3

Head- Decked .045
Spark plug hole radiused and blended in combustion chamber
Compression ratio = 7.55:1

Camshaft- Reground “Cheater” cam supplied by Madson
Lift* – Ex =.285 In = .312
Duration* – Ex = 254º In = 282º
Overlap = 50º Lobe center separation = 105º.
*Measured seat-to-seat with lash set .009 in, .014 ex

Valves- Stellite exhaust valve, stock intake valve, both polished and lower seat
edge radiused

Crankshaft- K-321 (large counterweights)

Piston- Style “D” Mahle brand with supplied ring set

Con Rod- Kohler forged aluminum rod, P/N 45 067 18 (for K-361 engine)
Rod shank polished and oil holes chamfered

Breather- Billet aluminum breather cover with extended draft tube

Carburetor- Kohler brand with venturi machined to .875 diameter for 15% area increase

Ignition- Bosch “Blue” ignition coil triggered by PointSaver module via production breaker points. Ignition advance = 20º btdc.

Assembly Clearances –
Cam endplay .004
Crankshaft endplay .007
Top ring end gap .018
Second ring end gap .019
Rod to crankpin .0012<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I seem to be tightening my drive belt on my QA42 all the time. Anybody know why it won't stay put?

Craig, I believe you mean QA42A, unless you have a modified QA42. The belt on my QA42 (and, yes, I mean QA42) never seems to loosen, are you sure you are getting it tight enough per the manual? "Tighten the belt until the slack is out then tighten another 3 to 3.5 turns". Or did you lubricate the tension screw so that it turns too easily?

Dennis & Kraig,
My 129 only has a few of the Killer Kohler mods done to it and will out pull my 149. I also have 109 re-powered with a K301. Of the 3, the 129 uses the least amount of fuel per hour when mowing grass, with each of them having 50" decks. The extra power means the governor is not opening as much, therefore not putting as much fuel in the engine. Sometimes more power means less fuel usage. I also agree that if the power is used constantly like blowing snow, the 129 may use more fuel per hour but would use less fuel per job because you would be done quicker.

Wes, sooo, you and Denny are suggesting that if I ever bring my 125 with the Killer Kohler to a Plow Day I won't really use all that much more of Art's gasoline then Brian would?
dunno.gif
roflol.gif

Kraig: Indeed - it is a 42A.

Maybe I'm not tightening enough. I bring it up snug until the play is out of the belt. It will still deflect on pressure but it has no slack. Am I supposed to continue 3.5 turns after that? Wow, if so, that is very, very tight and that might just explain what I'm doing wrong. I'd just resigned myself to getting off and tightening it up from time to time. I can hear when it is loose and just stop and tighten.

Latest posts

Back