• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 06, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the future of the forum Kraig!

It is what it is!

I'm on 3 forums for old machines and it's the same story on all of them. The group from 20 years ago is diminishing and there are fewer and fewer folks to take their place. One of them has had zero participation in at least 6 or 7 months. I still sign in there weekly just to see no updates and say high to the owner.. Kinda sad but like the dinosaur - evolution is changing us.

I still love this forum.
I am old school, and care very little about F.B. Twitter, and any other chat line.

I have not posted in a few days because I have been real busy, it has been raining a lot, and my computer has been giving me a fit.
I haven't even been able to work on my 100 any at all. Hopefully, that will change today.

I will explain on another topic thread one thing that is killing my cub time, and what will be hauling my cubs.

I have been looking at this site and reading postings which I thoroughly enjoy.
ihrotate.gif

If this posting goes through, I think I may have gotten my computer back!!!

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 120
I'm on the younger side 38 and none of my peers care about this kind of stuff they not see the value in saving cool old tractors from the scrap heap.thats sad,sorry if his is off topic but had to be said I'll keep active on this forum as much as I can..and thanks to digger/Kraig on keeping going

Kraig - ref the filter issue.... Wish I could Photoshop some of the pics in Cubfaq 94... It was what I had on there for a short period of time, I think I got spoken to at the time about my choice of filters..
bottom.gif

As far as the future of the Forum, I think these things go in cycles, or maybe I'm just one of the old farts hangin' on.. What really worries me is when we have someone that gets on here, is really active for a year and then drops off the face of the earth (except to just view).. always wonder if it was something somebody said or???

Attachments

• bottom.gif
    bottom.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 120
I am guilty of just getting on the Forum and scanning through to see if anything grabs me. I will try to contribute in the future. I will soon have to sell some of my Cub Cadets as we are getting to that age. Probably downsize to a retirement size condo or an apartment. My daughter says we cannot move to her place. That's gratitude for you. But when I think of my parents in their declining years, I think I better understand. Got to get the grill started now, more later.

Kraig - on the filter stuff. We really need an update. I saw Purolator 14670 on the list and that filter is the commom filter for most Chrysler V-8s including the 318 in my Dakota. I used to use Purolator until some German company bought them out and changed the filter - it's now junk. I really wonder about all the others on there now, if they changed to.
I've only ever used The CC filter on my Cubs. Just about went to a Fleetguard one time but backed off.

Mike F - would you believe after about 80+ days of not a drop of rain we're finally getting just a little here in Seattle. Looks like it might be tomorrow before I get a chance to start the 169.

Now - about the "Future of the Forum" and "It Is What It Is". In my view the Forum isn't fast enough for the younger generation that seems to want everything instantaneous. I don't know if it will come back to what it was or not. Once I retire I may have more time to get back on here. I hope some of the lurkers start posting to build things up. Charlie does say above "There is no such thing as a stupid question". Yes, I know alot of them are addressed in the FAQs, but heck, we can revisit that stuff too. Many of the IH CCs are at least 40-50+ years old. I think other things are occuring that we really haven't noticed. David S just mentioned the engine mount holes in the frame getting deformed. It might be a little thing - and the dang front bolts are a pain to get back in, and now we have to go adding a really thin washer - and stainless steel no less so it's thin. I guess it won't be long before what had been the least valuable used part (the frame) might actually be worth something. The hydro rearends used to be worthless in re-sale value but you guessed it they are "creeping up" (pun intended) in demand.

Hey Gerry - I was a little worried you might be in the area of your winter home. Hope it makes it.

Used a genuine Cub Cadet filter since my work done back then.. IIRC, some filters are a shade to large in diameter, and the fan got too closer.

As far as current location, Harry, nope, I'm up north, watching. My place is in Zephryhills, about 35 miles off the coast, 30 miles ME of Tampa. Just wait and see..

I have always preferred to use Genuine Replacement Parts on all of my IH Cub Cadets. My reasoning is supported with the idea of believing what is best for my lawn/garden tractors, keeping things mostly original to the tractor, and as mentioned earlier, peace of mind knowing I have the correct part for what is needed. This goes for the hydro filter too.

Say, I happen to have an idea in my head. Now, with out getting carried away with having the absolute best of the best parts, I would like to run my idea through you guys, because this forum is still a very much trusted, and respected IH Cub Cadet site on the net!

Ok, here goes: IHCC 1450.

I want to replace the old drive shaft. Seeing some of the high prices to have one delivered to my door, I'm taking on the fun of making a custom drive shaft myself. Hey, for $14.84, I got a length from McMaster-Carr of 4140 tool steel. My current drive shaft is an "early" design, being it has only a single flex disk at each end of the drive shaft. On the other hand, I also have a drive shaft from a "later" Quiet Line 1450 that has the double flex disk on the rear of the drive shaft.

I'd like to make my new drive shaft with double flex disk at BOTH ends of the drive shaft! I have four new flex disks, a new drive flange from Charlie, new O.E.M Cub Cadet I.S.O engine mounts, new cooling fan, and a good drill press to boot!

What kind of drill bit is best suited for tool steel, and should the bit be under size from the 1/4" coil pins used for the two drive shaft couplers being used?

Harry, I always enjoyed the forum since 2008! I have been a supporting subscriber of Cadet Magazine for a good number of years, and at least once a year, I always order parts from Charlie. But most of the time, the cotton is in my mouth rather then in my ears, lol!

Any help or ideas welcome!

I have family in Florida, Sebring County. I hope they will fair well!

I'll be interested in your project John. I've thought of doing a similar thing myself. Do you know the grade / class of "tool steel"? If it is a tool steel, it should be machinable until you get it hot. So when you bore it, use a sharp bit and use coolant often. Do what you can to prevent any heat buildup, Also start by pin punching a hole or file a flat to stop the drill from walking and giving a crooked hole. I'm not a fan of the rag joint, especially at each end, you'll need to use a form of centering for the shaft. Else the rag joint will wear quickly and badly. I'll be watching.. Do you have a micrometer? Know how to use 1? How big a drill set?

Mike F.- Thanks! McMaster-Carr part # 8927K98 describes Alloy Steel Rod, 5/8ths diameter at 3' in length. While I can respect your view on the flex joint, I really can't justify having something better for my QL 1450. I suppose I could get the engineer at work that I'm friends with to put the 4140 on the Bridge Port. I have a common Shop Smith drill press which was for free, and have plans on experimenting before I begin on the new material, lol! I don't have a micrometer, but I'm sure I can use the instrument. So, maybe I should just use a single flex joint I on the front of the drive shaft? I would like to believe the double flex joint found in the later QL's was for better reason, figuring that to be some what of an upgrade to my 1450.

This is why I'm asking here! Thank you for the tips. Got to get busy!

Back