• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 06, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarney

displayname
Craig Carney
If one looks close, the engine tag prefix is "EX." This denotes the experimental nature of the engine, preproduction supplied by Kohler:

79168.jpg

Bill -

It was a copper tube the purpose of which has eluded me. I took it off. There's evidence that there were two of them.

The PTO discussion has been very enlightening, and I think I finally see how all of the parts go together. The P/O of my 123 removed the PTO clutch and replaced it with a plain pulley, and then modified (destroyed) the mule drive to swing back fourth to engage / disengage the mower deck drive belt.

I am correct to assume that the circled part of #21 pivots back against the front of the PTO to engage the clutch?

79171.jpg

Matt, exactly backwards, it pivots back against the PTO clutch to disengage it.

Craig, I can't imagine what those tubes were used for. What about the red paint on the pto lever, gas cap and dipstick? Is it a K181 replacement?

Got it! Thanks Kraig. Looks like I've got a lot of parts to buy.

Well the bearing on my pto clutch on the 782 is bad. Looked in the parts online and it doesn't show that I can just order the bearing. I would have to order the entire armature (ih-223407-c1). And of course my particular armature is NLA so I would have to order the whole clutch assy. Doesn't anyone know how I could get ahold of just a replacement bearing, thanks.

I was busy throwing snow this morning with the 1650 when the engine started to get a little louder. All of a sudden it got real loud. That 16 horse Kohler sure puts out a nice bark when it is working hard without a muffler. Right now the muffler is resting against the grille and laying in the engine shroud. I guess the 106 will get clean-up duty tonight moving this 12+" of snow. Well, at least that is what they say we have. It is hard to tell because part of the driveway is bare and another part has a 2-3' deep drift about 10' wide across it. It is still snowing but is supposed to ease up in the next hour or so. I am sure I will have to clean it out again in the morning due to the 15-20 mph winds.

Wes, send the snow. Have only got to plow once here in Missouri. Neibors all thought I was nuts to bother

Jerry:
You send a truck up here, we'll find a front end loader.. We've gotten about 9 inches of really nasty wet stuff in Central MI, so far. Haven't even talked to the 129 about it yet, going to wait this out..

Adrian, I have replaced several of these bearings, you just need to get the bearing number off of it and buy a new bearing (wish I could recall the # but it escapes me now){Ken, no wise cracks ;-}

Since I have a decent JD(oops) dealer nearby I had him x-ref the bearing number to Deere's, much cheaper than buying it from the bearing folks.

Kraig,

Are you allowed to reveal what was done to the "Killer Kohler". Cam change, compression, etc.? Just curious. I'm sure it sounds awesome. Just wondering if it was because of having been "hot rodded" or because if really high quality parts.

Jim T. -

There are no secrets - go to our pulling topic and follow the links to the Killer Kohler documents.

Kendell, my luck it would all melt before I got it all home. Smow here just does'nt last long. We finally got 3-4 inches and it was gone in two days.

Jerry,
Borrow Charlie's truck and a refer van and haul a big load down there. I have plenty for you to have. My driveway goes through a hill. Right now it is level full from side to side at about 3' deep at it's deepest point. I haven't looked at the other end of the u-drive yet. That side is about 4' below the top of the hill.

Well fellas, We got lucky here at the lake and every thing went to the north of us. Three poor souls up in the northern end of the county lost their lives though, R.I.P. Luther ya out there? So as to stay on topic Craig nice snag on 415

Timing on this forum is amazing. I've been confused reading the front PTO clutch postings and actually spent time tonight reading the manual to see what I wasn't getting. Then there is was in Matt H's post. My project 127 apparently has a plain pulley done by the PO. I have never operated this 127 or any CC so couldn't figure out what I was missing. Enlightnment and yet another challenge

Jim T., pretty much the same treatment that David did to the K301 in his 1250. There are links to David's write up, as Bryan mentioned, in the Pulling and Hot Rodding forum. I will have to scan and type up some of the notes that David provided to me. From memory my K301 has a reground "cheater" cam, Forged Alcoa rod, 0.030" piston, relieved intake and exhaust, shaved head, ported and polished intake and exhaust, K321 crank, the carb has been rebuilt and the venturi has been drilled slightly oversize, it has David's "Points Saver", Bosch coil, David's billet aluminum breather cover and fuel pump block off plate. I'm sure I missed something. David says it should safely run 4,000 RPM with the stock cast flywheel but the rest of the engine is good for more. I'll post some progress photos that David took, here's a few for starters. I basically just wanted a good solid rebuild for daily use, something this will easily deliver and yet still be reliable though slightly more thirsty. Enough rambling here's some progress photos.

79173.jpg

Stock block.

79174.jpg

Relieved block.

79175.jpg

Piston and rod.

79176.jpg

Cam.

79177.jpg

Assembly.

WoW Guys. Alot of snow here in the Saginaw Valley in Michigan. I have about 12" in the yard and about 20" in the driveway. The guy behind me tried to plow is driveway with a belt driven bolens!
bash.gif

He asked me to snowthrow is walks and driveway with the old cub 127. I told him only after it stops snowing. Soon after that he was suck in the driveway. So I grabbed the Freebie cub 107 with plow blade and pushed him back in Bolen land again! But at lease he has 18hp Briggs! Too bad!!! Cubs kick and Bark!!! There just plan AWESOME!!!!
animatedihbear.gif
Will try to post picks if the site will let me!

Heenri, Ken, everything worked out good here. No major damage, but A lot of trees down.I went with my son(deputy sheriff) and we cleared out roads for 6 hours. No one was hurt here but several killed in middle and west Tenn. We have got 1" of snow all winter.Bad. Today I will give the 147 A workout dragging brush. Just Done that last week.

Latest posts

Back