• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 05, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have officially had it with this thing, I have exhausted my bag of tricks, tried a new ignition switch, that did no good. even went so far as to take the switch out of my good runner and tried it (it uses the same type switch) still no go. tried a hotlead straight to the coil for a few minutes while trying to start, still nothing but the ocasional pop. At this point I am taking measurements to see what it will take to put the tiller on my Montgomery Wards. I will fool with this yellow/green thing when I have more time and money to do so. If anyone has any ideas I am all ears. I may not be back on here for awhile so if you want to you may send to my email address. And a BIG THANK YOU TO ALL for all the good advice tips, suggestions and whatnot. Neil

Bill and Matt - I don't think my 169 shakes any more than most 149s. I will say the 12hp in a 129 is probably smoother, and a 10hp in a 109 is generally alot smoother. I do keep my 169 at about 1000 rpm's for idle since below that it does begin to really shake, and the hood begins to rattle along with alot of other things. I think IH and Kohler actually spec'd 800 for idle but don't recall for certain. I still don't understand why IH went to the ISO-mounts. IH boosted the recommended idle speed to 1500 rpm's, and if they had done that without adding the ISO-mounts I think it would seem fairly smooth, so I still wonder why they added the mounts. I've seen tractors with bad iso-mounts put dents and even a hole in the left side panel from the stem for the wing nut on the air cleaner, or maybe it's the wing nut itself.

Hydro Harry

Harry-

Somewhere I read the idle speed went up because the flywheel stator alternator wouldn't charge the battery sufficiently at an RPM level lower than that, so that has nothing to do with the ISO-mounts.

Matt must of broke the forum 14 1/2 hours no post..

I hope to be having a 149 come home with me on thursday..... pics to follow if it works out.

Matt - any recollection or idea where you may have read that? My Kohler K-series manual mentions 1200rpm minimum for adjusting carb setting (but I don't like doing that high) and it also mentions idle speed final setting based on equipment manufacturers spec. 1500rpm sure seems high to me on the basis of keeping the battery charged, but it does seem to give the engine appearance of running smoother.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

While it doesn't state why, this chart from the IH/Kohler Service Manual, GSS-1465-B, April 1985, shows different idle RPMs for the QL vs the 86,1x8/9 series.

235103.jpg

1a_scratchhead.gif
What is a 4120?
dunno.gif

Hmmm I think a "4120" is a little skid steer loader.

I think there's some "Special Instructions" to go with that RPM chart. By "Minimum Speed", they mean Operator controlled speed, not low idle speed set with the carb. And the fact that Max full load speed dropped to 3400 with 3600 being no load is odd, on the 169 & ALL Q/L's.

Shutting an engine off running 1800 RPM is actually very hard on it, even if you let it cool down for 5-10 minutes. The engine spins over so many times without burning the gas in the cylinder it washes the oil off the cyl. walls.

Just one of those things about IHC that you scratch your head and wonder why.

Denny,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I think there's some "Special Instructions" to go with that RPM chart.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font size="-1">Hmmm, not that I could find. Note the "Engine speed (governed)" at the top of the chart. Elsewhere in the manual I found this:</font>

235105.jpg

I would bet I've never run any of mine at 3600 rpm. 90% of the time I'm "puttin'" around the yard at way less than 2000. I'll gun them a little every once in a while but I'm never pushing the engine so coooling/overheating isn't a factor. When in the garden or under a hard load I'll give more throttle but never 3600 I'm sure. The closest I come is when I'm mowing and then I'd guess it's running 3000, maybe 3200. These engines are really winding at those speeds (3600) and I don't care to chance a thrown rod or whatever. I guess what I'm saying is I just go by sound from doing it so much. The only time I worry about overheating is in July/August when everything around here is hot, running or not. I also realize Kohler suggests using these speeds for proper cooling and power but I feel there's so much torque why use the rpms if I'm only using the tractor for a short while. I don't care for fast and less noise is always better too.

Just my .02 worth for the day.

Back