Archive through February 05, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis, yes, I guess you're right. I keep thinking of the CNC machines in use today. Thanks for the info.

This is just for my education, but listening to this forum, it seems a lot of people have trouble with mechanical PTO's. Why wouldn't one switch to the electrical?

Kraig, thanks for the price list. My 108 was built Nov.,1971. So I now know about what it sold for. It has a 48" deck and 4.80/4.00-8 fronts, tho. Just under $1500 back then was a lot of money. Hope you don't mind, but I saved a copy. Also, the 108 was most likely bought around Great Bend, Ks.

Norm, there is no place to bolt them, plus you would not have a pulley for the starter/ generator.

KennyP

Norm-

I think most problems people here have had with mech. ptos is what they acquired when they bought a 35 year old tractor. Once the pto has been rebuilt correctly it will last many, many years. They do one thing that the electric pto doesn't do and that is gradual start up. When you flip the switch on an electric the pto is fully engaged; the mech. pto can be "feathered" in and led to full engeagement. The block configuration is different that accepts the electric pto.

Hope this helps.

Norm B.
People have trouble with mechanical PTO's because they are 30 to 50 years old and NO ONE ever pulls a PTO when they get a new to them machine and checks it out before using it for another 5 or 20 years!
clappy.gif

Actually, for what they do the mechanical PTO clutch is a fantastic little piece of engineering. With very few pounds of thrust against the center post you can feather an unbelievable amount of HP thru one. And as long as you engage them somewhat slowly at lower engine RPM under no load they work for many many years. I actually can't remember the last time I rebuilt the PTO clutch on my 72 but it's gotta be close to 18-20 yrs ago.

Wayne S.

I just bought a 129 this weekend and it too had factory hydraulics. I saw your post earlier and was wondering the same thing! It would be interesting to hear more information on this
thumbsup_old.gif

Norm,
Some tinkering on the Cubs is part of the fun. Besides, if they all worked all the time, what would you be doing when there is no seat time going on. Instead on being on the forum, the wife would want things done not cub related.
roflol.gif

Latest posts

Back