• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 26, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob E:
The PTO safety will keep the starter solenoid from energising the starter, not the coil. ( see the diagram the Charlie Proctor posted - it may not be exact for yours, but very close). You say you've got 12 volts at the coil, but have you checked it in the the "cranking" position of the ignition switch ? You could have a bad switch. Also - are you sure your are getting close to a full 12 volts when cranking? I wouldn't think a bad battery would crank it, but not have enough voltage for the coil, but what the heck, it's another thing to check. Also - somebody didn't put a ballast resistor someplace did they?

Bob E:

On my 1450, my Ignition Switch went bad. With the switch in the "on" position, I had my +12VDC to the coil, but when I turned the ignition switch to the "start" position, I lost the +12VDC to the coil. The internal contacts were bad on this switch. I simply used the "jumper wire" procedure and found the 1450 started right up. I replaced the ignition switch....end of story.

Had a great Cub Cadet day today. Had a visit from a friend from a long time ago who worked at the International Harverster plant in Louisville. Although he did not work on the Cub Cadet, he brought me along some goodies -- two NOS seats

33145.jpg

and several manuals.

33146.jpg

He also brought along a fellow he worked with that helped on the development of later model Cub Cadets. We spent the whole afternoon talking about the fellow's experiences with Cub Cadet development. He left some information with me including a brochure that contained this picture that I don't think I've seen before.

33147.jpg

Have I just missed this somewhere else?

Paul "F",
I don't think've seen that one either. Paul "B", Hank "W", Ken "U", Tim, wanna' chime in here???

(Message edited by thoffman on December 27, 2005)

Tom, Paul, a different photo of that has been posted here in the past.

Paul, nice find there thanks for sharing that photo. Nice NOS seats too!!!! Sure wish I could have that kind of luck.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on December 28, 2005)

theres a pic of a original in Hanks book with that hood but a different grill. I think he mentioned that some used the back part of the Cub hood that covered the gas tank.

Getting the January thaw early in Mid-MI. Supposed to go to 40 today. Losing the snow pack on the path to the workshop and in the driveway, I'll have to set the QA-42A runners back to max height. Anyways, perfect shop weather, so I've been working on the Universal Mounting Point (UMP) for the back of the long suffering 129. (pics as soon as the paint dries). Required some high amperage welding of the pieces (250 amp TIG), so even though I wuz wearing a sweatshirt over my favorite tee shirt, I now have "Virgil's 50's Restaurant, Sevierville Tennessee" sunscreened on my chest. Itches.
flame.gif
(non-standard use of "flaming")

Hope to use the UMP with a fabbed back blade once I figuire out a lift (129, no ports on da pump), but right now it's gonna get a draw bar for hanging back weights.

Tom H., Kraig
I believe this picture was posted in the past, maybe by Mcgiver
33155.jpg

Paul B., yep that's the one and you are correct it was posted by McGiver. Just a month or so ago I was conversing with McGiver via email about that very photo. I think I better send him a copy of the one that Paul F. "found".

The picture I posted yesterday is from an article from "Tractor Talk" which was a monthly publication of the International Harverster plant in Louisville. It was one of several pieces of information that was given to be by Wil Greenlee about his experiences working at the plant. Wil is thinking about writing a book about some of his experiences so he has asked me to keep the stuff he gave me confidential. However, since most of his experiences were with the later model Cub Cadets and he had very little experience with the earlier models, I spoke to him this morning and he agreed that I could post more information from the article. Since what I have is a copy of a copy, I'll just quote from the article rather then try to post the article. The article is about the retirement of Robert Baumie. The article says Harverster took custody of the plant in May of 1946 and Baumie was transfered there in June. It says, (quoting directly)

"To Baumle's credit, he was instrumental in the designing and building of the first Cub Cadet which was made here at Louisville in 1946. 'I remember how skeptical everyone was when we came up with the idea of building the Cadet here . . . We might never have begun production (on the Cub Cadet) if we had not been experimenting to see what we could do.'
After selling the Company on the idea, limited production began to see what the customer response would be."

And, below the picture I posted, again quoting,

"Pictured is the first Cub Cadet manufactured at Louisville Plant. Baumi was instrumental in the designing and building of the first Cub Cadet line back in 1946."

The article, by the way, was published in 1976.

Paul F., thanks for the additional info. Good stuff! Oooo another Cub Cadet book to look forward to. :eek:)

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on December 28, 2005)

built in 1946??????? IH did not do a marketing study on the Cub Cadet until the 1950's.

Ken, good catch. Perhaps they confused the date when Mr. Baumie started at the plant as the start of the Cub Cadet????

Cub Farmall started production in '47. I bet they're confusing Cub Cadet & Cub Farmall. BTW, I got nothing BUT Books for X-mas, The blue one, the yellow one, several more red ones...by Pripps & Klancher (Pripp's made a LOT of errors on spec's and dates!)

Denny.......Pripps???........Errors??.....really??
I think the white hood CC might be the next "Cubette" tractor being fabbed......

KEN - We've already had THAT conversation.... ;-) FWIW... Dad has TWO yellow books..... One's signed, the other isn't....

Kupdike >
I recived the <font color="ff0000">Red Book </font><font color="000000">as a christmas gift.
I have only read the first chapter in the cub cadet section so far and have only found one typo in this chapter.
The misspelled word or typo is where the word( the ) should be instead of the word ( he ).

From what I have read of this book so far it has a lot of helpfull information in it.

I will be looking forward to finish reading it and aqurieing the </font><font color="0000ff">Blue Book </font><font color="000000">for more reading and information.
thumbsup_old.gif
</font>

Hello all,

Have a couple problems on the my 149. The deck leaks off at rest. I park it with the deck raised and it drops down in time. Now I know I shouldn't leave pressure on hydraulics but I didn't think there was enough here to be a problem. Do I need a lift cylinder.

Also the pushing the lift lever forward (to lower the deck) clearly powers the deck down. I expected this to just release the hydraulics and let the deck fall under its own weight. Is this right?

Chuck J.-

It is sort of supposed to push down like that. The lift cylinder is double acting, so it can put down pressure on things, but only if the rockshaft is set up to. Most seem to be set to float, but yours seems to have been locked to put down pressure on something. The float setting makes it easier to attach decks and lift rods for throwers and blades. I know on the 82 series you add/remove a bolt to make it float/not float, but I can't remember how it's done on 1x9's and QL's.

As for leaking down, I would suspect a bad o-ring in the valve but I have minimal experience with these so I don't know much. Someone who knows should chime in here.....

Back