• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 25, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
<font color="119911"><u>Wishing you all a safe and happy Christmas holiday. This is a good weekend to think of our troops, too.
Shotgun.gif

</u>
</font><font color="000000">I noticed that when Don T. used that clipart it looked like he shot a reindeer.</font>

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families! Wishing you all the best and our troops abroad!
angel.gif

Kendall, thanks, I thought I had a pic of my PTO when I had it off but cant find it. It does have two discs in it. I could of sworn I remember reading in a Kohler manual that they started putting 2 in the 14 and up horsepowers. That's why I'm confused...among 100 other reasons. Nick

Nick Hasson: The mechanical PTO is an IH item <u>not</u> Kohler.

Look in IH Service Manual GSS-1439, Page 2-78:

"NOTE: The 14 hp Model is equipped with dual friction discs. A dual disc repair kit may be applied to the 10 or 12 hp model if additional reliabiliy is reguired."

Tip: Just buy a new kit (which only comes with one friction disc) and use your old one with the new one... It also says on page 2-78 that "the PTO will operate satisfactorily with up to 4 broken lugs as long as they are not grouped together"

Myron B

Scott I figured out what that tire is weighted with....Ice
lol.gif

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+2"><u>Merry Christmas everyone
</u></font></font>

Merry christmas to all from south dakota. 2feet of snow and more coming,going to give the cub work out to clean this up. Bought the 149 this summer works well. The thrower is a 42qa is bigger than the old 36" used last year. Giving the 147 a rest this year hope everybody has a good new years to .

Jason..You are correct. It's build date is February 1972 model 9820

183095.jpg

whistling.gif

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Just spenting time playing with my "New toys"
183097.jpg

I'm in a pickle. Biggest wettest snow in years and my 108 lost 2nd and third gears, reverse and first seem to work but its real hard to plow in reverse. No way to get it anywhere until next week, and I dont have a trailer to get it anywhere even then.

I'm not really competent in clutches and such, but can someone tell me (hopefully with diagrams) what I can look for to see what the problem is?

Wayne S.
Time to pull the gear shift assembly and you'll see what the problem is. Broken or seriously bent shifting forks.
sad.gif

Myron:
Do they just layer the two driven disks together? I guess the advantage then is protecting against lug breakage (as there is no increase in friction surface)??

Nick:
I didn't mean to mislead you...I based my answer on my 149 and the parts lookup... I shoulda
rtfm.gif

Kendall I: By using a "thicker" friction disc(s), think spring tension here.

Myron B

Wayne, the first thing to check is make sure you haven't broke a drive shaft pin.

Myron-

How is adding a second friction disc increasing the spring tension? Assuming that the same adjustment gauge is used for both cases, the fingers will be adjusted to the same height in either case, and the only difference is that less of the 3 bolts will be sticking out the back of the clutch because of the additional thickness from the second disc. This will not change the spring tension...
confused.gif

Matt, It takes "X" amount of pressure to compress
the spring. Why wouldn't it put more pressure on the plates with two springs.

Dave-

Adding a second FRICTION DISC would not change the spring tension...no one said anything about putting another spring in it...?...

I'm glad to see this pto discussion. The 149 I.m working on at present had double pto discs. I haven't gotten to it yet but I'm paying attention.

I have wondered why IH never made a laminated disc for the pto like the driveline disc. It would need something to prevent steel to steel contact in the basket but replaceable nylon boots might have been all that is needed. That way they might have been rebuildable like brake pads. Just a thought...

Latest posts

Back