• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 19, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JD green on a Cub Cadet? That's blasphemy!
censored.gif

I know a lot of pullers paint Cubs the colors of their "favorite" tractors because only the IH Cubs will hold up. At a local event this summer I saw IH Cubs painted (with decals) as Oliver, Allis Chalmers, Ford, etc. I couldn't understand how they could have another "favorite" tractor if it can't hold up like the Cubs.
1a_scratchhead.gif

GREG, years ago I was at a garden tractor pull, looking over the engine in a Jon Dear 110. Crank triggered ignition, BIG Mukuni pumper carb....pretty radical engine....I walked around the back to look at the other side and I saw the hexagonal shaped rear axle carriers. Only ONE garden tractor has hex shaped axle carriers. Patterned after the same company's BIG 706/806 farm tractors.

I agree, if You want to pull as a Jon Dear run a JD drive train & chassis, or paint it like a Cub Cadet. I'm far from a dues paid up member of the "Correct Police" but if I was the announcer for that pull I would call it what it really is.... A Cub Cadet. Not what it was painted up like.

Brennan-
Don't feel bad about your green Cub. I used to have one like it.....

111712.jpg

Key words = "used to have"
rofl.gif

I was planning on going to the FloridaFlyWheelers.org show coming up in less than a month. Was planning on riding my tractor around the swap meet, but I am not sure now. I might get killed while looking for a 38" timed deck.

Brennan - Don't let my comments keep you from riding your cub around the meet. We all have opinions, and this is still America where you can paint your tractor however you want! I'm like Dennis: far from being Correct Police. Just having a little fun. Besides, having a green Cub Cadet gives you a good restoration project to look forward to!
smile.gif

By the way, welcome to the forum!
wave.gif

BRENNAN, GREG, - First thing I'd do is put a wire cup brush in a 4-1/2 in angle grinder and remove ALL that green paint.
roflol.gif

Art - That 100 wouldn't look bad if the rear tires were mounted backwards.
Slant%20Tongue.gif
I must say green paint must be cheap, We sure see a lot of it on stuff it doesn't belong on. I know red pigments do really cost more than other colors of paint. And I know for a fact the same company used to make IHC red paint & JD green 25-30 yrs ago.

Took about two hours to clean the driveway with the Farmall last night. Started rearranging the shop about 5 PM so I could get the Farmall in & out without moving the truck & 982. Had everything put away and was back in the house by 7:20 PM with only one stop to warm up and put on more clothes.

Anybody use electric socks and gloves when running their Cub Cadets when moving snow? I don't but I'm sure thinking about trying some. Keeping the rest of Me warm isn't a problem, I haven't even broke out the Carharts yet.

Good Morning All. Welcome to all the new members.
wave.gif

I'm off work until next year. The plant has shut down until January 5th. I took yesterday off and worked on moving snow with the 125 and 782D. We received a little over five inches with this storm. In the afternoon a neighbor's son ran the 125 and thrower while I used the D and blade. We were having a blast until the throttle cable magically came loose on the 125. While reinstallng it onto the throttle lever Zach and I noticed smoke coming up from under the battery. Upon further examination we noticed a wire had worn through on the harness. So, today Fancy and I will be working on fixing that in preparation for the next storm. We couldn't figure out how after all these years that cable managed to come loose however it must've been a way to signal the bad wire.

In eastern Iowa there is a farmer that has ALL JD stuff except a FARMALL H. He so loves that H from the design and handling that he coudln't stand to own it and have it painted IH red. Soo... JD green it is. Years back I briefly owned a Cadet 76 that came from Waterloo. The PO worked at the Waterloo JD Works and couldn't stand the chiding of having a yellow and white. Those things always remind me of the "other colors" tractor pullers. They may have other color sheet metal only the majority have Cub Cadet or IH 1086 rearends. (Or so friends that follow that stuff have told me.)

Everyone stay warm and have fun Cubbing away.

Here's a fix for the rusted out clutch brecket mount on the pedestal of the narrow frames. I used a piece of 1" angle I had laying around and bolted it fast to the tunnel from above. Not correct, but an improvement over the flimsy mount IH originally used.

111715.jpg

Now to prime and paint.

good moring fellow IH Cub Cadet tractor friends.it is a cold,overcast but dry day up here in NE.Ohio,good to get out to the shop and to do some outside work as well.....yup,i saw a green cadet around here this summer and it too was a puller.i did not know what to make of it but could see that what was underneath was what counted.....anyways thank-you Mr.Allen Schumacher[aschumacher] for your help.i now have no-dout that i will have both cadets running super!today i should buy more ink for this printer....its a big service manual!have a good day!

Well good morning guys. i have to say on the color (green) I think that a green thing will just blend in with the grass and won`t be seen from the road.
Yellow and white will get a second look and (i wish i had one also)LOL
drool.gif

Kendell Ide (Kide) I do have some parts here but don`t have all that i would like to have. we know these Cubs are great tractors .I have lots of shelves in my shop so i don`t have to dig in the pile to find that lost part.

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine) (Fcurrier) I did enjoy our talk last nigh and when i saw your post this morn i had a smile remembering how much you did enjoy Nova Scotia refreshments.

Today there is only a dusting here. just have to drive the 149 around to the back shed to get a gas tank out so the 125 can run. I have a small thing to deal with since i now have a snow blower to install on a Cub but i don`t know what Cub to put it on! should i use the 147 because of the 14K or the 125 or the 100. can some one help as to the best Cub for the job? Later Don T
old.gif

Hope you all get what you want for Xmas,i don`t think it hurts to give a few hints lol.
111718.jpg

I've been considering replacing the exhaust pipe and was wondering if the place that its threaded into is cast iron or aluminuim. Do you think I'll break the block unthreading the pipe? Should I try with the engine hot or cold?
I've got a '62 K161S
Thanks for your help.

Brennan Hoyt (Bhoyt) it can and has been done. I have a stack on my 149 and have seen them installed on just about every Cub. Soak it with pb blaster and take you time.I have seen people use wax to melt in the threads to aid in removal. Just keep in mind that a stack must be supported with another bracket to help with the extra weight.I love to hear my 149 Bark when plowing lol
Later Don T
old.gif

Brennan Hoyt (Bhoyt) To answer your request! I think all Cub Cadet Singles are Cast. Just my .02
Now is my chance to pass this on
rtfm.gif

Frank C kool i`ll do just that with the 147 as soon as i repair the lift handle. let`s see the line up will be.
147 snow thrower
149 42" blade
100 rear scraper blade
and the 500 atv with blade and snow blower.
i still have another blade.
6 sets wheel weights and 1 75lb set with 2 sets of chains. I think i`am all set for some snow and we arn`t getting any lol . now the 149 and trailer
has to haul away the extra limbs from pruning the HO Ho Bush. so later All Don T
old.gif

Don T,
If I had a choice of lifting a snowthrower with a hydraulic lift or a manual even with a spring assist, I wouldn't choose a manual...
I put the blade on the 1450 yesterday since I was having a hard time starting the 129. 1450 had been outside, and started within a couple of seconds. Beauty. Sure was nice having the hydraulic lift. Now I NEED to get a set of chains and some more weight on it. I had used the 147 for blading in previous years, but the electric lift is something I want to preserve for tilling, so that's turned into its dedicated use for now.

hi guys, it's been awhile, i hope everyone is enjoying the holidays to come. i plowed with my 102 last nite and this morning there was a very BAD noise... no compression, so.....will a 12 hp kolher from a wheelhorse fit? i know, take off the 10 from cubby and sit them side by side and compare but it's gonna snow tomorrow too and i need this done today

STEPHEN - I'm afraid You'll find the WH K301(12 hp) Kohler will not fit in a Cub Cadet. The oil pans for Cub Cadets are different from the standard Kohler oil pan. IH had to have Kohler narrow up the pan so they'd fit down inside the frame. The Cub Cadet pans do fit in place of the standard block, but the pans are different between 10 HP and 12 hp engines. Your K241 10 hp in the 102 should have a flat bottom, the K301 12 HP WH engine should have the dropped oil sump and the finger on the rod cap is longer and will hit the bottom of the oil pan.

There could also be other differences like diameter & length of the crankshaft. IH had Kohler make everything with a 1" dia crankshaft so all the PTO clutch parts were the same. Your 12 hp K301 WH engine could be larger, I think 10 & 12 hp standard Kohler cranks are 1-1/8" dia.

Back