• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Slow Cranking K241

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack casey

IHCC Supporter
I've whined on these pages about my slow cranking CC 102. Engine starts, runs good but is something wrong? Then I saw three videos of guys demonstrating their snowthrowers....each tractor of 70'-80's vintage. All cranked slow. So, I need to accept that my K241 does the same. Right? I'm the second owner of my Cub, first owner is o-o-p. Thought it a good idea to change gaskets for the carb and cylinder head. The carb gasket, what was left of it, had to be scraped off. Also dipped the carb in a cleaner overnite after removing the needle valves. There are nine bolts in the cylinder head....I was surprised to find that no bolt was torqued to spec, which is 30 ft lbs. I wonder how many guys just tighten these bolts with a simple wrench. So, now for the 'moment of truth'....set the choke....hit the starter....and this engine immediately roared to life. No slow cranking. As I've said on these pages, I'm so happy I could just s**t.

When changing the cylinder head gasket there was a coating of oil on the piston. Would this account for the puff of blue smoke when advancing the throttle? Everything else looked ok but what do I know.
Are these engined designed to use some oil?

Cheers, Jack

Yes, that is why you check it before starting, the older the more they use.

Most old engines use oil, the oil gets past the Rings, the Valve guides etc.
Ate you sure it's cranking faster or is it just starting much faster, so, less crank time.

Won’t turn over faster than a S/G turns. If battery is hood and timing is tight they just don’t turn as fast as a dedicated starter. I think it’s just starting quicker cause you fixed issues

I've whined on these pages about my slow cranking CC 102. Engine starts, runs good but is something wrong? Then I saw three videos of guys demonstrating their snowthrowers....each tractor of 70'-80's vintage. All cranked slow. So, I need to accept that my K241 does the same. Right? I'm the second owner of my Cub, first owner is o-o-p. Thought it a good idea to change gaskets for the carb and cylinder head. The carb gasket, what was left of it, had to be scraped off. Also dipped the carb in a cleaner overnite after removing the needle valves. There are nine bolts in the cylinder head....I was surprised to find that no bolt was torqued to spec, which is 30 ft lbs. I wonder how many guys just tighten these bolts with a simple wrench. So, now for the 'moment of truth'....set the choke....hit the starter....and this engine immediately roared to life. No slow cranking. As I've said on these pages, I'm so happy I could just s**t.

When changing the cylinder head gasket there was a coating of oil on the piston. Would this account for the puff of blue smoke when advancing the throttle? Everything else looked ok but what do I know.
Are these engined designed to use some oil?

Cheers, Jack
Just adding to mine above. See the Kohler manual for the K engines, remove the cyl head and (in the manual) notice the sequence for bolt tightening. When removing bolts I bet you find that #4 and 8 are not tight. I'm told this is a common problem. Replace the head gasket and I'm also told to change the bolts.
Torque them to 30 ft/lbs. My slow starting went away. Still find that those two bolts need periodic re-tightening.
Cheers

I would run it for 10 min or so, shut it down and let it cool completely then re-torque because they always loosen up after a run cycle with a new gasket. I usually re-torque 3 times after a rebuild, It likely starts quicker with the work you've done but it didn't make the starter /gen spin faster ,just my opinion.

Back