• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 19, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
That is soooooo sad.. A coat of yellow paint would cheer that lil' guy look so much.....
wave.gif

2 and 1/2 hours on the 129, did our place and the next door neighbors. Getting ready for the next wave..
Matt - my QA42A's OEM belt is at least 20 years old. A lot of the new belts are actually "fractional horsepower" (but I'll bet you knew that already). Ready to go back to school yet ?

I just registered with the club and am looking for some general information. I am looking for the correct Cub to use mainly for snow blowing. My location is Southern Minnesota.
What model would be a good choice?
Are all the blower attachments shaft drive?
Is hydro drive better than a straight transmission?
Do any come with a locking rear axel so both wheels drive?
Did any models have power steering?

I would like to start out with a used machine and work on it over the next summer.

I know these are a lot of basic questions and I hope I came to the right place.
Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Steve, welcome!
groupwave.gif
If your main use will be snow throwing you'll want to look for a hydrostatic drive model. If you want power steering you'll have to look at the later MTD built Cubs or you'll have to install power steering yourself. AFAIK, None of the Cub Cadets have a locking differential for sure the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> built units do not. I'm partial to the late 1960's Cub Cadets but you might be best off with a 782 as they can have power steering added without too much trouble, they have plenty of power with the Kohler twin (best to look for one with a Series II engine) and they have hydraulic lift. Look back a few pages in the archive to where Steve Blunier posted about adding power steering to his 782. The snowthrower to look for to fit this model would be the QA42B or the H-42. I'm sure some other's will have more input and differing opinions for you.

Kraig and Jeff,
That's not a set screw, its a roll pin. And it most likely sheared off. Make sure you grease the needle bearings.
111705.jpg

Terry, thanks, I couldn't remember which it was, it's been a few years since I rebuilt mine....

thanks terry and kraig on my qa36 i am going to mess with it tomorrow in the morning i hope its just the roll pin i did look at it before leaving for work and it appears as if the pin is sticking up about 3/16 of inch ill update you tomorrow

Thrower Belts:

I have pulled the &^%$ out of the IH belt on my 782 with no issues. I think the biggest thing here is to make sure you run them tight enough and make sure the pulleys are aligned by adjusting the thrower pulley in and out on the shaft.

BTW, having a spare belt on hand insures that you'll never break one......

Brennan Hoyt....;

Welcome to the forum! Your tractor probably isn't worth your time,so....drag it to the road and I'll haul it off for you on my next trip through south Florida,LOL!
Shift.gif
!

Steve:
I broke a S/G belt on the 129 about 10 years ago on a weekend, when I couldn't get a new one. The spare hangs right where I put it 10 years ago..Too bad I didn't buy a second pair of Delco S/G bearings for the 129 when I R&R'd that, the 149's S/G has loose ones, but the 129's are still like new...
bash.gif

Just got to thinking, if Don T subscribed to the "spare wards off evil" theory, he'd need a warehouse.

I have been using a 350 CCA /275 amp battery in my 1650 and it seems I have to replace the battery about every other year. Unfortunately the standard battery box won't accomodate a very big battery and this little (in my opinion) battery doesn't turn the engine over very fast in cool (50F) weather. Just wondering if I'm missing something--I checked connections and the charging systems seems to be working. Thanks.

Got about 3 hours of plowing done today. My wife says its playing and maybe she's right, but it sure was fun! The only problem I had was the 106 dying and not wanting to run after I turned on the lights. Turned them off and all was well, had to have the wife give me a jump start in the neighbors driveway with her car! I cant believe how much snow that cub will push, amazing!

holiday greetings to all:i do hope that my question is posted in the correct forum....my problem is the same,i have a model 71 and 72.they both have the k161 7hp kohler motor.i thought i would give the 72 a carburator kit which included a new needle seat,needle float,and float pin.i believe that the float level is not correctly set based on doing everything else correctly.even though i have the BLUE RIBBON SERVICE manual pt.no.gss-1398,i still have trouble to understand this direction.not quite sure where to take measurments from and how to adjust.any information would be helpful.thank you.

holiday greetings to all:i do hope that my question is posted in the correct forum....my problem is the same,i have a model 71 and 72.they both have the k161 7hp kohler motor.i thought i would give the 72 a carburator kit which included a new needle seat,needle, float,and float pin.i believe that the float level is not correctly set based on doing everything else correctly.even though i have the BLUE RIBBON SERVICE manual pt.no.gss-1398,i still have trouble to understand this direction.not quite sure where to take measurments from and how to adjust.any information would be helpful.thank you.

Brennan,Steve,John
WELCOME
Shift.gif
There are many here who will be able to help you.Glad to see you here!!

Rchristensen, thanks for the info on the rubber couplers. I picked up two today from my local IH dealer for $12.50 each. I believe the new ones are a part number 722-3000 now. They may have updated the number or something. I hope to get this fixed before all the snow comes to Pennsylvania. And is there anyway of taking the driveshaft out without removing the engine? I was really hoping that the last time would have been the last time. It fought me like crazy going back in. Nick

Don T. :
111709.jpg

Aaron Schmidt: Trunnion repair conversation??

BRENNAN - My Dad told Me MANY years ago that "A welding electrode holder is a DANGEROUS WEAPON in Some People's hands" In this case of that 1961 to 1963 Cub Cadet the Guy had a spray can of green paint in His OTHER Hand.
roflol.gif

There's been a few other pictures on the Internet I've seen of IHC tractors painted green & yellow. One's a Farmall M, and there's a 350 International utility tractor. They look disgusting.

The 1963 Cub Cadet Dad bought brand new in 1963 and traded for the 70 I have out in the shop in 1965 was repainted red & white by the IH dealer. Looked pretty sharp I thought.

Latest posts

Back