• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 14, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,
First of all that shouldn't have come up as a link. At least not if you right mouse click and select copy shortcut in Intenet Explorer. It almost looks like it is a link that counts how many times you click on something, or maybe a redirected link. I figured that out by clicking on this:
http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=15&k=electric%20motor
It seems to send me to ebay some times and other times not.

Anyways,
The text you see is actually html format. The <a></a> is known as an anchor tag. The href part inside the anchor will send the person clicking to the specified address.
For example,
<a href="https://www.ihcubcadet.com"></a>
Would send you here.
The text inside the start and end anchors will give you the text to display.
For example,
<a href="https://www.ihcubcadet.com">cool web site</a>
This link would still send you here but the text you were clicking on would say <u>cool web site</u>.
Web page developers can also add other funcionality by adding scripts to the anchor tag.
For example,
onmouseover="window.status='electric motor'; return true
This would put electric motor in your browsers status bar when your mouse cursur is over the link.
For example,
onmouseout="window.status=''"; return true
This would clear your browsers status bar when your mouse cursur is moved away from the link.

With all that said I am sure that was too much information.

Terry, if your trying to pound that pin out, it really helps to support it with something SOLID. I use a bottle jack with an impact socket on top that sits around the pin.

John

Terry... when trying to remove that pin, there's no replacement for a really good pin-punch, and about a 4lb machinist's hammer. Personal experience has taught me to hold the pin-punch with a pair of vise grips, and to hold the vise-grips and hammer with a pair of leather gloves, and to cover my eyes with a a pair of safety glasses. Before I try to drive the pin, I squirt a shot of motor oil into the pin-hole, put a rubber mat down on the floor, so I've got a secure place to kneel. I always eat a bowl of chili with 3 packets of crushed Saltines and drink two cans of soda, turn up some old Judas Priest albums,and relieve any urge to belch or fart before takin' the first swing., and when I do swing, I swing that hammer like I MEAN it. Usually, the pin comes out. Sometime, the punch bends or breaks. Eventually, they start to move, then I put some'a that beans and beef to work. I really hate drillin' them pins...

I've never had to beat one of those axle pins out but if I had to I would try a small air hammer with a blunt end on it. I would probably use a different air source than Dave.

Richard C,
That's cause you buy Texas Cubs, grin
Come up this way and I'll show some real RUST!
thumbsdown.gif

Dave,
We are on the same page! Except for that Judas Priest thing. I bought a set of pin punches and just had to tap it out. It came out quite easy after buying the punches. I took the left tire off to get a swing at it with the hammer.

Still would like to know what type of pin does the "pin tool" remove? Tapered? Bobby? Safety?
dizzy.gif

Dave K.
I live to read your posts.....The only problem lies in the VISUAL that WILL NOT GO AWAY!!!!!
I will not be able to work on a Cub And not think about how nice a bowl of chile would be....
I finally had to show my wife what was so funny and why I was on the floor...Thanks Dave.....

Terry B,
So your saying that you dint try to remove it before you made this statement?
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

A can't get the roll pin out of the axle pivoting pin.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Charlie,
No I tried, and belt over a couple of 10-24 screws I had lying around. I decided to call it a night. I thought to myself "is this what the pin tool is used for"? Then I posted the question. Remember I am bored waiting for it to snow. A while later I talked my wife into going to the hardware store with me to buy some pin punches. I used a vise-grip on the punch and a hammer to pound the pin out when I got home tonight.

Heehee! I knew that'd generate some 'colorful' images!

Richard- My main air-compressor has a very small tank, so I gotta augment.

Terry- the 'pin tool remover' that KENtucky makes, is a little clamp-block press that forces out the spi-rol pins used to attach the driveshaft to hydrostat input shafts. Most of the spi-rol pins that you encounter on equipment can be physically driven out with a hammer and pin-punch (looks like a normal punch, but the shank is ground to a diameter that matches common roll-pins, and isn't tapered 'till about halfway up to the striking-end). It's not good for the hydrostat, or any driveline part, to get pins 'driven' in and out... especially if the pin is really seized in place. In many cases, a light hammer and a pin-punch will push most of 'em out, however, As Charlie noted, Mother Nature has a way of welding even dissimilar metals to exceptional strength.

By the way, since it was mentioned, when it comes to reassembling K-motors, I typically put on a pair of sweat-pants, a long-sleeved jersey, and turn on Steely Dan. I avoid chili and Pepsi, typically I'll go for something down the lines of a Tuna Salad sandwich and a glass of lemonade- makes the torque readings more accurate, and I do a better job of gapping the piston rings. Doesn't solve the lousy end-cover bolts problem, but I'm two-for-two in good-running-K-rebuilds so far.

Terry if you have a air chisel put a 1/2 " punch in it and shear off the pin and drive the axle pin out the back then you can get the two parts out of the hub if the motor is out no problem check for oil pan clearance first so you don't put a hole in the pan.I got tired of trying to beat a pin out so 45 seconds later the axle pin was on the floor.

Dave K
if that proceedure ain't in the manual, it should be!!!

Either the forum is / has been down or everybody is out looking for xmas presents ... so here's something funny from our weather forcast to help get you in the mood
happy.gif

24093.gif

Commenting on Ken's forecast: No snow on the ground or in the forecast for this part of Minnesnowta.
confused.gif

Oh, the 109 is patiently waiting.
John

(Message edited by jgeorg on December 17, 2004)

Ken -

Nothing worse than a snob shower, and around my neighborhood there are PLENTY of those
lol.gif

I'm sure most of you would think because I live in Canada I would have snow for sure but on the contrary here in Victoria we havn't had snow for a couple of years and when it does it is soon washed away with rain.Today was 12 deg celcius & very plesant. I have no plow,blade or thrower but I did ride my 109 yesterday just for fun & to keep things moving inside & fired up my Scout 80 as well it was another great day!!
Some may recall i found a 147 for $150 bucks which I did purchase but the gentleman I bought from has been in the hospital for a month now & his wife seems to know nothing about the sale. I'm hoping he's going to be ok so I will be able to pick it up. BTW which of the above sponsors would be closest to the north west, my list is getting longer& my local Case dealer is a 4 hr drive away & would have to order anything I would need plus shipping anyway.TIA Don

Hey,
So tell me... how long are those crummy little batteries suppose to last? It seems like when the temp goes below freezing I end up jumping the 147. Has anyone found a better one like a dry cell? Has anyone used a battery tender? I would think mounting a battery tender and plugging it in when Im done might be an option.

Just bored waiting for the snow and looking for a conversation.

BTW, I found this picture from the last plow day and was wondering who it was.
24096.jpg

Terry B. -

You mean like this?

24099.jpg

I'm on my 5th year with that Interstate SP-40.

The charger came from Sears, WalMart sells what is prolly the same unit. Cap'n Kirk uses and recommends a unit from Northern Tool, I will be trying one of those out on the 169 soon.

However, be mindful that, as always: <FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Terry,

I use a trickle charger that has the transformer and control unit mounted in a plug similar to a AC/DC transformer with leads and a quick connect attached to the battery. The brand name is Battery Tender Jr. and they can be found on EPay for about $35 shipped to your door. They are specifically designed for motorcycle and LGT batteries. The nice thing about it is that you don't have to carry the unit on the tractor, just plug in the extension lead to the tractor's pig tail and you have your battery maintained at full charge through the winter between uses.....makes a BIG difference in starting.

The unit has both a maintenance charge mode (bring it up to 12.5-13.5 volts) and a floating trickle charge that keeps it there over long time periods.......all managed automatically and electronically.

I have 2, both well worth the $$$$ to me.

Probably FREE and in the junk drawer .... a 12 - 15 volt plug in wall transformer for yer old portable tv , tape player , radio , spot light , lap top ... blah blah blah .................

I'm still using the battery that I came with
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back