• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 14, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A word of caution here:

Red does not ALWAYS = (+)POS....Likewise Black does not ALWAYS = (-)NEG.

Check the battery markings and trace the ground strap BEFORE hooking up a charger/cables/etc. for the same reasons Kraig just mentioned.

Blowing up a battery or starting a tractor on fire will ruin your day.

I have a 100 with a rear PTO. Is there such a thing as a tiller that will run fromt he PTO as opposed to belts and pullys?

Steve; Thanks for the words of caution. I know how dangerous it can be. Please read my first posting today: Pos on battery has black cable and goes to frame of tractor. Guess I'll hook up the charger lead thats red to + on battery. Let the tractor sort it out.

Dave,

Did you have trouble with the gear box pully on your snow thrower lining up with the engine clutch? Mine is off just enough so the belt rubs. Any thoughts? The owners manual said to make sure the pully lines up with the clutch but did not say how.

Daren L. -

Firstly, there were no implements produced for the rear PTO option as found on your 100.

With the exception of later tillers meant for the 982, they were driven by the front PTO via a long belt and a mower mule drive.

Your only other option might be to find a third-party tiller with an integral engine.

Secondly, the drive pulley on a snow thrower has a set screw or two holding it on (can't recall how many) - you would need to loosen these then slide the pulley forward or rearward until it lines up with the PTO. Chances are real good that your pulley is also held on with years of rust and crud. You'd need to clean that up and perhaps use a puller to get the pulley off and clean things further.

Thanks for the info, looks like another night spent in the barn and not putting up more Christmas decorations. Oh well, it has to be done, I am sure snow is coming sometime.

Just curious why the rear PTO was put on. I currently have a pump attached to it connected to a 30 gal tank that I use to spray my yard. What was the origianl purpose?

Daren L. -

The Farmall Cub trans is the same as the Cub Cadet's, the Farmall Cub had a rear PTO, so why not offer it for the Cub Cadet. It spins backwards and at the wrong RPM anyway, so it's pretty useless unless you come up with a custom application.

Steve-

Wonder where that came from. . . Hmmmmmm!

All-Hope all is well. Picking up a truck very soon!!! Two years is way to long without a truck! Full size this time. It is old but has low miles. Going to put a dump conversion kit under it. Will make it a lot easier to move cubs.

J

(Message edited by jluckey on December 15, 2004)

Dave,

I know...that was just a PSA

Still working on my rebuild. I bought a K301A block recently with "K301" in the casting. I assumed it was a 12 horse block. WRONG! After measuring it turns out to be a 10 horse block. (Can you tell I am new at this?) So I am heading down to the local machine shop to get this thing bored. No snow here in Nebraska yet. If it can hold off a little longer I'll give it Heck.

Daren: No, I didnt really have any trouble with the belt rubbing, the belt (that NAPA cross referenced) is a pretty small section, smaller than I thought it would be. I replaced the 4 bolts that allow me to lower the gearbox and therefore tighten the belt. I still havent tried this thing out, but I think it's supposed to snow through the weekend. What model do you have, did you get your chute cable hooked up? Dave

Hey am I allowed to post pictures of my cub and other old vehicles I repair all the time? Dave

Daren L.
Who really knows whay they originally put them on Cubs other than maybe they had BIG plans and they fell through. BUT, you can get a reverser that will turn things the right way, that way you can run anything that will couple up.
24046.jpg

David P.
Post all the Cub pics ya want on here, but I would post the off topic stuff else where on the forum just to stay in good graces with the big dogs that run it, grin

Charlie,
How do you get the hitch pin in with that thing in the way?
roflol.gif

Hey y'all thanks. The tractor doesn't always go into reverse. Sometimes it will sit perfectly still with the lever in the neutral position. Is this still something to do with an adjustment you think? Thanks, Paul

Hey,
I am going to shim the front axle. There is forward to backward play of about 1/8 inch. A can't get the roll pin out of the axle pivoting pin. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the roll pin out? If so how much will this cost me?
BTW, Its a 147.

(Message edited by tcbusch on December 15, 2004)

Latest posts

Back