• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 14, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry B,
A GOOD way is to tilt the tractor up at about a 45 degree angle with a chain hoist or something comparable so you can drive that sucker out from the bottom/angle up.
An EASY way would be to remove the engine and drive it out from the top/angle.
I've done both and if all else fails, get yourself a super duper cobalt drill bit and cutting oil and have at it that way. Just my 3 cents on the deal.

Terry B.
Pulling the engine is easy and it's a lot easier to beat on something from above with good view of what your hitting. If the pivot collers are worn they are lot easier to repair with the engine out. Besides, theres probably something else you will want to do to your 147 that is better with the engine out of the way. Steering, driveline, wiring........
biggrin.gif

John

PTO Reverser:

Another important note: Most of those were made for the Farmall Cub, and have a reduction built in.......about 2.8:1

With that in mind, if you put it on a Cub Cadet, with a 515 RPM PTO, the final rotating speed will be 185 RPM.

(They may have offered 1:1 models too, but I doubt the demand would have been very high considering the # of rear Cub Cadet PTO's you see)

Steve - That 185 RPM would be about right to run a bale elevator or something light duty like that..... but I don't think there would be enough HP to run a big grain auger handling wet shell corn
happy.gif
I think that pic Charlie posted was from John P. and He used His on a bale elevator. Dad was always Way too fussy about how close or far away We got from His bale elevator and I always thought having the Cub Cadet run the elevator would have freed up a LOT of room to maneuver in close quarters compared to an M with a loader with the 80" wide snow bucket attached.

A farmer I used to work for when I was in my teens had a Cub Cadet model 72 with the rear PTO he used it to power his bale elevator. It worked great.

Denny,

So a 10" auger in 22% corn would be too much for a 72????????

Come on now, I know of one that will mow 12" grass...........but that's another story.......
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hmmm, go figure, I even have a photo of that old bale elevator. I wish I had a photo of the 72 the farmer had or better yet I wish I had the 72... I checked with him a few years ago to see if he still had it but he had sold it a few years earlier. :eek:(
24057.jpg

Now before you go thinking I'm nuts (It's likely too late) for taking a photo of the bale elevator that belongs to a farmer I worked for when I was a teenager..... In the spring of 2002 a storm came through that wrecked his barn. I was taking photos of the barn before it was torn down. The elevator happened to be in the foreground of one of the photos I took.
24059.jpg

24060.jpg

AFAIK, there were 3 different Hub City reversers available. One was for The Cub Cadets. It reversed to direction and sped it up to 540 (or close to it). I've had 3 of them in the past. One guy claimed he ran his elevator with it. Whether it was true or not, I don't know.

Travis,

I was thinking that there was one made for the Cub Cadet, as you said.

I would bet a fair amount of money that MOST of the reversers were made and sold for Farmall Cubs, considering they would have been much more plentyfull, and more suitable for PTO based tasks (farmers usually don't think of GT's as PTO work tractors
happy.gif
). With that in mind, I would bet that most of the ones you might encounter on a farm sale, dealers shelf, etc. would be the 2.8:1 Farmall model.

Just wanted to make sure everybody realized that just because you have a reverser, you might not have a true 540 PTO.

OK, got it downsized. Doesn't <u>THIS ONE</u> look like a 82 series?
24063.jpg

Denny, Kraig, and Steve,
I don't think the bale elevator used too much hp.. We had one with a small electric motor. Now a grain elevator is a different subject.

Denny,

...with 10+ times the HP!!!!!!!

My favorite 88 series pic is the cover of the '84 (?) Buyers Guide with the 5488 FWA pulling the new IH soil saver in fairly green corn stalks.

Hi Ya'll,
First post: I have a 582 less engine. What engine did it come with, and or, what engine(s) will fit in it without major changes.
BTW, great site.
Eddie

Thanks Charlie,
Now, I would prefer a kohler so what am I up against.
Eddie

Hey,
My question about pressing the pin out of the front axle was kind of a loaded question. I was hoping someone would tell me if the "pin tool" would push it out. I wasn't sure if the "pin tool" would work in that type of application.
angel.gif

Edwin B,
Oh you could stick just about any kohler in there that you want with little trouble. If your going used, I'd go with a KT17 series II or a 12,14 or 16 out of a quietline and if new, go with a Command or something along that line. I'm not much on red tractors, but I'm sure someone will chime in here for ya.

Terry B,
In a word! NO!
It's BFH hammer time buddy!
bash.gif

Or start drillin for/with oil.

Latest posts

Back