• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 06, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
We got another 5" today!
This is going to get old real quick, having to move snow every other day.
angry.gif

We had some until it got HERE ! I told ya it always breaks up and goes around us.
71192.jpg

Maybe I'll get some fer Christmas ... taint XMAS without it !!

Hey guys, 18 degrees here in Virginia. No snow to push but went out to start the 1650 today, Engine turn over and shook like the ISO mounts were bad. once tractor started no shaking, Is this normal for the mounts in cold weather or should I be concerned. Checked mounts before winter and they looked ok. Thanks, I still running soda ash 30 wt oil. John

Charlie that will teach ya to do your snow dance so damn often
happy.gif

TERRY B. - I had the SAME thing happen about 3 yrs ago, spit the driven pulley key out of My QA-36 and wallowed the bore out of the pulley....I finally got a replacement from Our Esteemed Moderator at a PD that sping! (Thanks Again Charlie!)
GLEN C. - I've never seen a Peterbilt with those flotation tires but they're really common on sprayer trucks and ag. sprayers which in some areas ARE licensed to run on the road. Not sure Firestone actually makes them DOT approved but they really howl at 50-60 MPH! FYI, Tractor pullers use similar sized tires and some of the higher HP classes like Pro-Stock and the multi-engined Modifieds run well over 100 MPH wheel speed while pulling. Naturally with all the tire slippage they don't actually run that fast down the track.

I picked up a fist-sized rock with my QA42 Wednesday while cleaning up the driveway and broke something. Auger won't turn but a couple inches. Does not appear jammed so I'm wondering if I broke the gearbox or something.

Anyway, I mounted up the snow plow and I'm thinking that it actually works better than the blower. It isn't quite as neat but it gets the job done faster. The lift arm from the QA didn't fit the blade so, after a half hour of fooling around without my hydraulic lift, I decided to rig this up:
71201.jpg

It's two links of dog tie-out chain I put the squeeze to in my vise to increase the bore. Couple of nuts and whatnot later and at least the lift worked! Guess I'll have to find a lift rod that fits the silly thing next.

Craig E.
If the drive shaft turns and the auger doesn't, you prolly zipped the key and or cotter key in it.
If the drive shaft doesn't turn coming out of the gearbox, yer screwed so to speak.
But I'd also check to see if it's turning going into the gearbox from the PTO too.

Kraig, thanks for the idea for lengthening my rod. The mounting hole on my snow blower has worn to a slot, so it only lifts about an inch. My plan to get by is to drill a hole underneath the old one, but I need to lengthen the rod to make it work. That is quick and easy until I can do it right in the spring.

THanks!!!

Steve, I do believe that the "hole" on the snowthrower is supposed to be a slot. At least it is on a QA36, QA42, QA36A and the QA42A.

71205.jpg

Charlie: All I get from the PTO is a shriek - probably burning the belt and not turning a thing. I'm afraid I busted the gearbox as the driveshaft would not turn when powered. I didn't have time to work on it...had six inches of snow to move...but I'll see what I can about it this weekend. What really frosted me is being to stupid as to pick up the rock in the first place. After 20 years of running this blower, you'd think I'd know better than to try to clean right to the edge of the asphalt.

Steve: I'm gonna leave that one alone...but you're welcome!

CRAIG - I "THINK" if You can find a used blower for a yellow/white tractor or a green/yellow tractor the gearboxes are ALL the same. Buddy thought He ruined His blower a couple years ago and His local (jd) dealer could still get parts which I don't think a Cubbie dealer can anymore.

Dennis: Thanks, I'll check my IH dealer. I do see them on ebay all the time. I hate to pay those prices but can't do without the blower, either.

Craig,

Before opening the gear box, I would drive the spring pin out of the small chain sprocket and drive shaft. This will help you determine what got damaged. I have hit big rocks and those frozen chunks that fall off cars, fortunately the spring pin has always broken on mine.

Jim

Kraig, looks like you are correct twice. So, I will read up on how to properly set up a snow blower. It did not come with a rod, so I am using the lift rod from the blade I have.

Sorry Craig, but thanks anyway.

I dont use a coil roll pin on my throwers, small drivesprocket. Instead I use the weaker plain roll pin. I may shear a couple pins a year but it sure beats bracking other parts.

Some of the old timers (rather, long-timers) here know of a project I keep starting and putting on hold because of career changes. Well, I've taken the initiatve lately to get the motor together. I took delivery of a reground cam from Vogel Manufacturing today. By next week I should have a rotating assembly togehter.
71213.jpg

71214.jpg

Wyatt-
I'm looking forward to your continued progess on this project, I have a similar one (at least in my head!) planned for the future.

BTW.... Nice car!
happy.gif

Seen many a pro stock tractor, didn't think it was that "fast" though.. I love watching the diesel smoke pour out of em, the whistle of the turbos, and of course, the sheer torque bending and twinstin the frame rails.

Latest posts

Back