• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 02, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North Arkansas area Cub Owners, Hello I am new to the Cub syndrome and would like to communicate with Cub owners in this area, Cubs appear to be scarce in this region. I am restoring a 102 and have a 126 that is used for work and fun!!
This site has been very helpful to me already and I enjoy the various forums, keep up the good work (fun work).

Charlie, I read that FAQ yesterday, that's why I wondered if your thrower was modified. Didn't realize it was your tractor pictured in the FAQ.

A 12hp Gravely will put the snow on top of a 14' pole barn from a long ways away without modifications. OTOH, there's more to go wrong with a 2 stage blower, and it doesn't like to eat stones. It's also very heavy, but the engine behind the axle helps make up for that. I will try to look at that 127 next weekend, with a wad of cash in my pocket. I've already had my fill of making Gravely parts, and I've never owned one. A friend bought two from a municipal parks department about 40 years ago and I've helped keep them going. Making steering pinion and sector gear teeth out of nickel rod and shaping them with a die grinder is no fun. CC steering parts are somewhat available, right? My buddy should have bought a rack & pinion kit back when it was available.

Norm,
I believe www.cadplans.com has a couple different plans for logsplitters. Not sure if you'd need them; the mechanism itself is fairly straightforward. The real issue will be powering the ram. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up a hydraulic pump run off the PTO. It would be easier and less expensive to be able to just plug into the tractors' aux. hydraulic circuit (if so equipped) and use that. But I'm not sure that the aux. circuit is set up to run the pressure and volume appropriate for a log splitter. Has anyone used theirs for this purpose?
Enjoy the snow, Mike

does anyone know where i can find decals for a 105. I've looked but not having any luck . Thanks

Cletus,
Try them boxes at the top of the page.
happy.gif
Thats where I got the ones for my 100.

Charlie,
Sorry that the Bears had a good day. I just don't know how that happened..... :eek:)

Thanks for the advice on the log splitter, guys.
Andy,
I've got a 682. I don't think there is a shaft there, just the front PTO. Am I wrong?
Is anyone out there running a log splitter off a CC?

On the subject of buying old Cubs, I've run across a 122 that seems to be in pretty good shape. The guy wants $295 for it and it's four hours away from me. On the plus side, it doesnt smoke, no noises, one-owner and was apparently properly maintained until the elder's passing whereupon it was stored for 15 years.

On the minus side the guy says the "ring" that encircles the middle blade is "worn out". I can't imagine how one could be "worn out" but there is apparently some problem with it. He says the deck is not rusted through anywhere and appears sound. Any opinions on the price?? I'm not very knowledgeable on this vintage Cub as the only one I have is a 782. Here's some pics - I'd appreciate any opinions before I send the guy some money. Thanks.
46466.jpg

46467.jpg

46468.jpg

46469.jpg

Paul: No, I have not locked that bracket but you can bet I will the next time. Do you lock it when you remove the blower or just before you install it?

Craig - I might be interested in the 122 if it's four hours west of you. (I'm not far from Battle Creek) It sounds like the baffles are rusting out under the deck. The deck doesn't look too pretty topside either. Tires, seat, etc look nice, might be a low hours machine.
Are the airflow baffles (blade surrounds) replaceable on those old decks?

$295 for a working tractor with mower does not sound too bad, but you won't really know what you have until you get home. Be prepared to deal with a surprise or two, such as a dry-rotted tire, or ignition or fuel system problems. The Ring around the middle mower blade is a piece of sheet metal that probably has cracked or gotten mangled. A bit of welding is probably in order to repair it, but isn't too critical, just make sure it stays out of the way of the blades. In any event, you won't know what you really have until you get home and try the mower out. This will shake out how good your clutch, brakes, spindles, PTO, and mower deck integrity stacks up.

The early NF machines are pretty rugged and straightforward to work on, yours is a gear-drive unit with a single-plate dry disk clutch, mechanical PTO, and a wet disk internal brake. The mower decks use roller bearings similar to automotive wheel bearings. It might be a good idea to disassemble and clean/repack the spindles. Getting the rust and crud out is always a good idea, and if a bearing is just starting to go, a pair of new bearings now is cheaper than a pair of new bearings, plus a spindle in a few months. New spindles ain't cheap!

One area of weakness on the early NF models is the steering, which tends to work loose. Most of the play is caused by the roll pin that holds the left spindle assembly together. A new roll pin can help, but there is a good chance the hole in the spindle is egged out too. New tie rod/drag link ends and using a tapered pin similar to the cotter pins on old bicycle cranksets also help tighten it up, as well as doing some work on the steering box. There is a lot of knowledge in the FAQ to help you with some of these jobs, they are pretty straightforward, but can be a bit dirty and time-consuming.

Craig ... Not a bad lookin 122 for the money of course I'm a narrow frame guy any way Just go for it ... You can't have just one cub ya know!!!!!!I said that 20 plus tractors ago

Tom...I have rebuilt 3 k 301 's and never seen that piece . Sorry

46479.jpg

This one has ALL the goodies too! Lights, fenders, creeper, 3point, spring assist, Brinly adapter, rear PTO, cigarette lighter, horn, and nice tires too! Thanks Rodger!!!!

Well since it has just about everthing a little boy could ever ask Santa for is on it, I think I'll have to put the hydro lift unit on it. It should work good for running my McCormick-Deering cream separators and feed grinder. With having the creeper to slow down the PTO speed it should be sweeeeeeet.

Tedd, I was cleaning out the shed to make in the "Inn" for it. I like the narrow frames. Need a 128??

B.T.W., There just isn't anything like 4WD!! Had the Furd out today to get the trailer out of the snow to pick up the 100. Locked in the 4X4 and pulled the trailer out in the 12" snowfall from the other day with hardly any tire spin. Now to get the bar tires for the front too!

Latest posts

Back