• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 01, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig, Dennis, Marlin and Charlie,

Thank you for the kind remarks. I wish I had more time to devote to rebuilding Kohler K-series engines, but a busy schedule and huge backlog of projects just doesn’t allow for it.

Kraig, your Kohler patiently awaits your arrival. Preserved in a plastic bag in my shop, it’s ready to be put to use. Come down anytime to pick up – just give me a day or two notice.

Frank Currier – thank you for the personal e-mail. I paged back through the Forum and saw the pictures of your K341 engine block and the damage to the bore. My thoughts on boring and sleeving these air-cooled engines is the following…if it were mine, I’d NEVER do it! As the other, knowledgeable engine guys on this forum have stated, removing parent bore material significantly weakens the cylinder structurally, especially in tension. This combined with the reduced heat transfer due to the interface between the sleeve and bore, are two strikes against doing it. In your particular failure, the missing chunk doesn’t bother me as much as that vertically displaced, hairline crack…NOT GOOD!

I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but I’d consider this block scrap and instead of spending money on refurbishing it, I’d put it toward a good used block. Remember, this is what I would do if it were mine. Others have bored and sleeved these engines and have obtained satisfactory results. I would always be thinking about that potential impending failure though, which would be very sudden, unpleasant and costly.

Charlie: That looks like it belongs in the IH collectibles thread.
happy.gif

By Gerry Ide (Kide) on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 12:19 pm:

Don - not sure whether to send best wishes or condolences. I know when I retired in '07, Sandy had a very hard time having someone else around during the daytime - I was never sure whether it was because I interfered with her schedule or her Soaps watching. I'm sure you don't watch TV during the daytime - but be sure to be really nice when she gets bored and offers to do things like reorganize your Cub parts or clean the workshop - give her a credit card and arrange a shopping trip or maybe find yourself a part time job..

AND NOW A WORD FROM MY SPONSER:
I can relate to that. jc

Dave K.:
a_weep.gif

If I consider the block scrap, I've no more interest in making the 169 useable - the rest of the tractor shows neglect and PO modifications (that I'm capable of fixing), it's manual lift with a non-ported pump (I've got a 149 parts tractor that can cure that "problem"). I've got 149s, 123s, and 125s that are begging for attention. I'm good (expert) at procrastination. I'd just as soon let this subject lay until after Dec. 21.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your opinion, and I respect it.
a_weep.gif

KENDAL H, thanks for the observation on Gen only vs. S/G. I have to dig further on this, what I saw was replacements for old cars with generators only. If one looks at the S/G wiring layout it seems that its only a half generator! Gotta wait and see what I can dig up.
dunno.gif

Charlie P. Now that is one sweet little creation.

David K. I've the solution to Kraig's long sitting at your place engine. I'll make the road trip up there and just swap out another engine and take his in place. Then I'll put that Killer Kohler to good use for Kraig.
happy.gif

CHARLIE - That little scale crawler is really neat! Are they going to be for sale soon? ;-) I really like the tracks, they look like metal tracks with pivot pins, not just rubber tracks like most scale models use.

The IH hardware find is pretty neat too. Back at FARMALL we used to have a problem with West Pullman and accurate weight counts in boxes of bolts. They'd fold & tape the box quickly, then to hold the box in shape would throw ONE big capscrew, like a 1" x 6" HHCS in the box then fill it with tiny #8-24 X 3/4" machine screws till the weight count was correct. Which was about two hundred pcs short of the labeled quantity. Sometimes IH plants didn't play well with other IH plants.

DAVE K. - Nice to see you post here again. Hope you can find time to post more frequently!

DON T - Somehow after your wife retires, I really don't see you getting much time to work on your CC projects. I think she'll have other ideas of what you should be doing.

Denny

UPS are a ripe off. Aaron sent me a few parts add I paid 15$ shipping and the brokerage fee they want is $45.38 on a $102.00 dollar parts with 15 of that shipping. The parcel weight is 6 lbs . never again will I use there service ! If I refuse it will Aaron have to pay anything ? So I called them UPS Brown and got the fee reduced by 20$ and I will pick up the package myself. GGGGGGRRRRR

Hey Charlie - on your IH stamped bolts, I had heard there are places around with 55gal drums full of these. Something about IH used to include all the hardware with upgrades, options, accessories, etc, shipped to dealers and most of the additional unnecessary hardware got tossed into barrels. I was figuring when I retired I'd buy a barrel and spend my years sorting, matching sizes, maybe boxing, marketing, etc. I think a 55 gal drum would just about do the trick, but with my luck I'd get a barrel with everything already matched, and probably reverse threaded.

Latest posts

Back