• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 31, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan B:

The lift cylinder on my 784 goes up and down equally as fast.

Rick M. -

Unlike some, Kraig has a life after 17:00
lol.gif
- haven't you noticed that he almost NEVER posts outside of business hours?
wink.gif

Hmmm - convert my Cubs to E85. Means driving all the way to the Marathon in Arlington Heights and back, fighting all that traffic, nah, I'd spend more buying the stuff than I'd save by using it.

A great idea if you live next door to the place selling it
lol.gif

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 143
  • wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 138
  • lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 147
Roland B, is your lift handle in the middle of the slot? Mine is closer to the top, and I wonder if I just ain't getting enough travel on the valve to make it move faster. Kind of like I am only cracking it open, and that's why it's slow?

I'll play with it some more on my next day off.

BRYAN - The station about half way between Don Vogt & Me that carries 104 octane leaded race gas also has a straight Ethanol pump as of last spring. Not sure it would be real cost effective to convert a CC to burn it though. Price is about the same as the 104 octane plus You would burn about twice as much. But if You had a CC that was tending to run really hot it might cure that problem.

Thanks to those who have responded to my post on QL vs. 82 series. At this point the 82's are ahead in my book, but I would appreciate perspectives from QL fans too!

Bryan B:

Here are some pictures of the Hydraulic controls on my 784. The first is the Dual Spool Valve:
30504.jpg

The next is the Double Control Levers:
30505.jpg

And lastly, the Hydraulic Cylinder for implement lift:
30506.jpg

Attachments

• 30504.jpg
    30504.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 159
  • 30505.jpg
    30505.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 30506.jpg
    30506.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 30504.jpg
    30504.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 151
  • 30505.jpg
    30505.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 30506.jpg
    30506.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 154
Mark Stanley:

I too, own both a 82 Series and a Q/L. I like both real well. The 784 w/50" deck I use as my primary mowing tractor in the summer and use it to plow snow in the winter. My 1450 is my Best "all around" tractor. I use it for dozens of different tasks. In my opinion, they each have their own character and I use them in that capacity.

Mark Stanley
I would have to agree with Roland that they each have their knitch. I love my 782 with the Mag 18, makes you feel you are on a cadilac, my 1450 is better in mowing in tight places with a 44 inch deck. Can't live without my 1200 for a lot of chores and love fall when I get out the 169 with the vac system to chop up the leaves. I don't think anything has the feel of Raw power like the old 169.

If you get a 82 series be wary of the early series 1 engines, some people say they are no good and some run them forever, I don't know as I have never had a series 1 engine.

Are there any marks on the balance gears in a 14hp Kohler engine that are used to line them correctly on the crankshaft? I have a couple of photos from the forum but not enough to guess about it. Any info will be appreciated.

Bill G. -

Didja download the OFTEN MENTIONED FREE Kohler service manual from Kohler? The link is in the FAQ...

Should help you out.

I have a 1982 series 82 with the series I KT17 and she is still purring along. I have switch it to synthetic oil and run just over the full line due to some inclines I have to mow. No problems with lock up yet.....

Just got my first Cub Cadet, an "original" ser # 33040. It is my first 4 wheeler, I have 9 walk behind tractors. I need to find a reliable dealer for used and nla parts, 3 of the advertisers on this site havent returner E-mails, or have bogus phone #'s. Binder Books, and Madson's Service have been great.

What a great site!
Blew a pulley off my 107 last week. It's one of the vetical pulleys that changes the mower deck belt to horizontal (see pic). Will need to replace it and probably the other one too. Is this a std pulley? Wonder if can get them with grease fittings?
30512.jpg

Attachments

• 30512.jpg
    30512.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 30512.jpg
    30512.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 145
Having taken apart 2 series I KT-17's (and created a running one from them), I'll say that they would probably last forever if they are kept on fairly level ground and kept full of oil.

Both engines were bad, one was seized, due to some idiot putting in rods with no oil holes in the rod caps, and the other was probably run low on oil.

Thanks Chuck F.
I just needed to know if those cams should move or not as this tractor has been down since 1985 everything has been tight. I removed the linkages & continued to work the cams while spraying PB & now have everything moving freely & back together even the hydro handle & brake pedal seem to work properly. I'm awaiting some parts but the filter, gasket & fluids will be new.I'm not sure if I'm going to remove the hydro,Hmmm now I see where I could use a pin tool, are these still avail? will 1 tool work on NF & WF? I'll do another search . Thanks again

Hmm, my username still works . . . .
Found the most shocking thing today, I've got a 169 in the garage with a 2A tiller still attached. The owner musta got busy and forgot about it
blush.gif

Attachments

• blush.gif
    blush.gif
    270 bytes · Views: 146
Ran across an odd thing. I was assembling my M18 and noticed one of the rod caps is on backwards. I marked it when I disassembled it and when I installed it, the book said make sure the arrows line up. When I do that, it's locked tighter than a drum. When I turn it around like it was when I marked it, it's okay. Does anyone know if it's okay to proceed that way? I mean, it was running that way before. Must have been done at the factory.

biggrin.gif

I was mowing my lawn (read brush-hogging weeds) and the centerdrive pully on my deck came off. It looks like the bolt just came out and it worked its way off the shaft. I was able to locate the Key but the bolt and washer is no where to be found. Would someone tell me what size and length this bolt and washer is supposed to be? I dont have a parts manual for this deck...yet. I think it is a 44 deck. It is on my 71, and I think it is the original deck. It has one large blade in the middle and 2 smaller ones, one at each rear corner of the deck.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 136
Hi All...new member, Bruce, from The Hudson Valley, NY.

Just purchased a 125 from the O.O. with deck.

Have enjoyed reading about the exploits around here over the last few weeks.

Glad to be onboard!

Two questions about an original Cub. (1) What is the value of the little resistor on the back of the voltage regulator (mine is broke) and (2)What is the acceptable method to repair major cracking in the rubber of an old steering wheel? I have been considering the vinyl dip found at hardware stores used for tool handles.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back