• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 28, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, this is off topic, but I've been thinking (with gas prices what they are) that I might like to produce my own bio diesel. However, that would mean building a tractor with a diesel motor in it. I've got 2 QL tractors that I have been planning on turning into one good one, and though I have a 12 horse kohler for the project, I've been thinking more and more about diesel. Anyone put a diesel motor in a QL tractor, and if so, what brand and or model should a guy look for? What are the challenges of such a build?

Chuck

Starter not working on 125. The solenoid clicks but the starter does not turn the engine over. Where shoudl I start: replace the brushes or is it better to just get a new starter/generator.}

David,
Start with a fresh battery. It may be the problem.

STEVE B - I looked for You Saturday. Saw plenty of Cub Cadets. But I didn't see the semi-mounted 2 bottom plow. Wished I would have and looked it over close! Really neat show. AF base worked great for the show too. I was surprised by the rocks in the ground in the fields. Even saw a couple plows with broken points & shares.

The battery is fresh and also a jump does not produce any results. What else could it be?

David l., check all the electrical connections, especially the grounds, also turn the engine and S/G over by hand one half revolution and try it again if it turns over now the brushes may need to be replaced or the S/G rebuilt. Always check for the easier and less costly stuff first. If you have a volt meter you can also check to see if you are getting any voltage to the S/G. There is a way to bypass the ignition switch and wiring and jump start directly to the S/G but I don't recall what the correct procedure is. Perhaps someone will post it.

R.C.......Have you considered cutting the top cover open (into 2 pieces) to be like the modern day decks??

These have covers over the outer pulleys pinch points only, leaving the rest open for easy cleaning.

MYRON B. - On the part number suffix I wasn't aware MTD even used them. I go into C&G and tell Apostle Ken what I need and for which tractor and He doesn't even look in the parts book or the computer, just goes & grabs the parts. Seriously every CC dealer I deal with also handles the ag stuff, C/IH/NH or whatever, and when You ask for CC rear axle oil seals the reciept prints out a description "Cornhead gearbox seal". As long as the package says C/IH or CR on the package I'm happy. I know the IHC part numbers in My parts book printed in 1980 or '81 still come up in their computers and I get parts that fit. Ken would know for sure but I believe C/IH/NH continued with IHC's part number suffix determining the part revision level.
If MTD's paying the bills they can make the rules. I'm just glad they still buy & sells parts for these durable old Cubbies!

Ken U.
I haven't really looked at any of the new decks. Are they made somewhat like the older 38 or 42 inch decks with the two covers you attach?

The reasons I went the way I did:

A. It was easier to punch the holes and have something that looked almost stock than cut up the cover and possibly have something that looked like a kluge.

B. By leaving the cover in one piece it gives some more strength to the 44 and 50 inch decks and they are not near as strong as the older model decks were.

I mowed again today and blew it out, will probably run the rest of the season and then remove the cover and see the results, if I'm not happy then I will try something more radical. In the meantime I will check out some of the newer decks.

Dennis F: If you use old IH manuals you will only get IH part numbers as you stated. MTD, however, in later editions of the TC 113, 157 & 193 uses the source manufacturers part numbers. Regardless of model, if MTD is the source it it's got one of their numbers. If some other original source like Kohler is the source, it's got a Kohler Part number....likewise with Briggs & Stratton, Sundstrand, etc., or any other manufacturer/parts source. If the original source was IH and the part only fits/is only used on an IH made Cub Cadet, they keep the IH part number although MTD is now the source. Apparently, this is because IH was the original source and these parts did not originate from any other manufacturing source. That's just the way they do it....and yes, you betcha, we are all glad they continue to provide most parts for our IH made CCs a quarter-century later.
Myron B

Myron,
Are you really really really sure about that!
clappy.gif

You sure you don't want to check with the MASTER forst! snicker

Attachments

• clappy.gif
    clappy.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 131
<font color="ff0000">Cripes! Can't even go visit people in the hospital without folks ignoring the rules!!!</font>
poof.gif

Attachments

• poof.gif
    poof.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 132
  • poof.gif
    poof.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 135
I can see one of these coming
poof.gif

Attachments

• poof.gif
    poof.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 134
  • poof.gif
    poof.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 138
Steve "B",
Wouldn't that make one kick ass neat museum for IHC/McCormick-Deering/Farmall/IH!!
animatedIHbear.gif

Charlie,
Got my head screwed on correctly tonight. Thanks for the bail out.

My 1250 has developed a extra noise. It is a sharp metalic sound, seems like it is comming from the right side of the engine (starter side). I can't find anything loose or out of place. It almost reminds me of a rocker arm with to much clearance, the engine runs great doesn't miss or anything. I know it is hard to figure out without hearing the noise. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

A couple weeks ago I said well, I am not going to say anything about J.W. posting issues. But, he is really making me mad, What is so hard about reading "IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules" that are found at the top of almost EVERY page?!Geez!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my question: Is it ok to put the automatic release valves from a 82 series in a 149?

I have decided to code my project "crocidile", until I can find something that isn't as corny it will be done in no time after the mowing season is over. Now I have the money and no time. Soon, I will have the time and no money I just can't win.
Thanks for the input Tyler

Jim C. -

An unexhaustive list:

- side panels
- grille insert
- headlight panel
- muffler/air box panels surrounding the muffler/cracked aluminum air box casting
- air ducts surrounding the engine

How's that for a start?

Tyler T. -

You'd be surprised...

And yes you can swap them. You might want to remove the dump lever or at least the "flapper"...

Jeff W,
All caps and multiple exclamation points generally means you are yelling. You should try and use your indoor voice. You don't need to yell for us to hear you.

I am very,very, very, sorry. i didn't mean it to sound like i was yelling. i am not here to make anyone mad . i am trying to get along with every one. i allready made digger mad. and i am sorry. i dont want to make any enemies. i am here to enjoy talking to you guys and to enjoy my 1250.

Back