• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 30, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
Anyone have suggestions on where to look for some inexpensive wheel weights? All this talk about snow is making me think about all the fun I'm going to have plowing snow this winter.
biggrin.gif

Brian, you could always make some out of concrete. Here's photos of some that Pat Irlbeck made.

39550.jpg

39551.jpg

39552.jpg

39553.jpg

39554.jpg

39555.jpg

39556.jpg

39557.jpg

39558.jpg

Or you could make a rear weight. Here's a nice one that David Kirk made. Note also David's rear mount work light!

39560.jpg

39561.jpg

39562.jpg

Is that 45 lbs. rebar and 45 lbs. cement
err.gif
. Just kidding!!! It amazes me, which I am very good at making things, the imagination and skill that I see others doing with their Cubs.

Back in the old days many many moons ago I built a lot of things to make my cubs more handy. Today I look in awe of the things I never thought of!! Have seen cement wheel weights before tho.

Keep the pictures coming guys!!

Pops

Brian,
I made a set out of concrete. I made a form out of bending birch plywood and line a wheel with it.
39564.jpg

I placed pvc "sleeves" where the bolts travel through the concrete.
39565.jpg

For my next set, I'll be using concrete form tubes that you can buy at Menards and fit those into the wheel. I hope to make a set before plowday.

Kraig,
Ya beat me to it.
My comment relative to concrete is that one needs more volume of concrete to equal the density/weight of heavy metal. Mine concrete weights only weigh in at 33# ea, a little light for what I want, so my next design they'll be a little taller and wider, but not as tall as Pat's.

That said, even the 60+ extra pounds made a difference in traction! The plus side is that it's pretty cheap.

Ray, nice touch with the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> logo! Do you have a photo with them mounted up on a Cub Cadet?

Kraig,
I don't think so. . . I got so busy plowin', then it got late, yaddi yaddi

Have 1250 with 44A deck getting lots of clippings collecting on top of deck from front. Is this the nature of the beast or can this be corrected?

Alan,
Someone smarter than me will need to answer your question IF you're wondering about how the grass clippings are effected by the dynamics of the blades to the shape of the deck.

Frau usually uses our leaf blower to get rid of the brown grassy buildup after every mow. Be sure to drop the deck and clean out the caked up build up every now and then when you sharpen the blades. I use a painters knife to get rid of all the encrustment. Some guys use slip plate on the underside of the deck after it's cleaned down to the metal.

Alan T.
I guess we would need to know what your idea of a LOT of clippings.
Your always going to get some, especially if you cut your grass tall this time of year.
The lower your deck, the more shoots out the chute.

Ray L,
Is that like that cartoon where the guy sticks his head under the deck to see if it's cutting the grass? LOL
BTW, My dad always told me if you would more the yard more than once a month, you wouldn't have all those grass clumps layin around!
Course i was to young and chicken to tell him to mow it himself in between my mows, LOL

Charlie,
Yep. Sometimes I plum forget to clean the undersides and I don't notice poor performance b/c it creeps up on me.

Then there's the day Frau asked why we had narrow strips of tall grass all over the yard. Here I was mowing with only the center blade; the belt was busted. <font size="-2">Deep down in my subconscious I knew something was wrong but I was focused on the engine, goofin' with the carb and thinking TUNE UP.
smile.gif
stupid.gif
</font>

Some great ideas here. Anyone have an idea (picture?) for a (cheap) weight box that doesnt involve welding? Something that attaches to the hitch would be ideal, though it may need more support than just that.

Wayne

Wayne, here's about as cheap and simple as you can get. I forget who came up with this one.

39578.jpg

39579.jpg

Or there's this "carry all" that could be used as a weight holder. It involves welding though it could be bolted together. This one was made by John Proeschel.

39581.jpg

39582.jpg

The photo above shows a chair caster mounted to it for ease of installation. Simply roll it under the Cub Cadet and attach it to the lower 3 point hitch bracket. If you don't have a lower 3 pint hitch bracket you could modify the design to include a pin (aka, a bolt) to drop into the drawbar hole.

39583.jpg

If I start with a clean deck and mow approx 1 acre, the front half of deck will be covered to point that one can not see the deck paint. My neighbor who has a older cub doesnt have near as much clippings on deck. Grass mowed once/week. Doesn't matter what part of the season it is. Clean underside of deck twice/season.

Alan,
Sounds to me like someone maybe cut the front lower edge off your deck at some point. Got Pics?
Or maybe your baffle is shot?

Back