• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1st snow challenge 2024

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I haven't replaced the 4 link with 2 link yet, I think I'll have a different outcome with the wheel horse today. The snow is light compared to the wet mess I was trying to push this last weekend. Also the ground is frozen now, stopping the blade from gauging in and tripping.

That damn lake is going to do it to Ya again, eh Bob!!??
Yeah, we got the same problem here, no frost under the snow will make for more work in the spring putting things right with the yard.

That damn lake is going to do it to Ya again, eh Bob!!??
Yeah, we got the same problem here, no frost under the snow will make for more work in the spring putting things right with the yard.
A few back, when blacktop driveways were the norm, I would not have understood the Frost comment. Now I'm fully aware of the dance that is performed to get low to the ground without putting the stone driveway on the lawn.

IMG_4219.jpeg

this snow-packed creation apparently came off my 100’s front wheel after we bladed snow on Thursday. and there it sits today, frozen upright. 😃 🚜💨

I'm thankful I don't get the snow Jay Fetters gets up North!
This year has been absolutely terrible for snow. We didn't even have a white Christmas! The snowmobile trails just opened a week and a half ago! I've only ran my snowblower 2 times this year. Last week, the west end business association, and Keweenaw chamber of commerce filed with the state for emergency relief funding due to lack of snow equaling lack of tourists. We only have about 8 inches, and with everywhere down south getting pummeled in snow, from Iowa to Tennessee, to Ohio, nobody has a reason to travel up here. Which is nice, but the local businesses, from bars and restaurants, to power sports, to ski hills, right down to gas stations, are experiencing a lack of income like we've not seen, ever. Including the covid years. Compare this to normal years where we average over 200 inches, in my area, and over 150 inches across the u.p. We NEED SNOW!!!

This year has been absolutely terrible for snow. We didn't even have a white Christmas! The snowmobile trails just opened a week and a half ago! I've only ran my snowblower 2 times this year. Last week, the west end business association, and Keweenaw chamber of commerce filed with the state for emergency relief funding due to lack of snow equaling lack of tourists. We only have about 8 inches, and with everywhere down south getting pummeled in snow, from Iowa to Tennessee, to Ohio, nobody has a reason to travel up here. Which is nice, but the local businesses, from bars and restaurants, to power sports, to ski hills, right down to gas stations, are experiencing a lack of income like we've not seen, ever. Including the covid years. Compare this to normal years where we average over 200 inches, in my area, and over 150 inches across the u.p. We NEED SNOW!!!
I had wondered if your winter might be going like that when I hadn't seen you post anything.

I believe in cycles..IMO weather patterns seem to evolve every 20-25 yrs...??..in 70 and 80s everyone seem to have snow machines in So. Mi. then nothing for yrs..Everybody started going north to ride..Hardley anyone here has snow mobiles anymore and it's gotten much more costly to head north....I have plowed 4 times in the last 10 days but if predicts are correct it should be gone by next week.... 6 weeks to the mar.1...???

I believe in cycles..IMO weather patterns seem to evolve every 20-25 yrs...??..in 70 and 80s everyone seem to have snow machines in So. Mi. then nothing for yrs..Everybody started going north to ride..Hardley anyone here has snow mobiles anymore and it's gotten much more costly to head north....I have plowed 4 times in the last 10 days but if predicts are correct it should be gone by next week.... 6 weeks to the mar.1...???
March 1st it is!!!

March always gets us. We've been way below normal as well. We always get some snow before Halloween but we are usually full time, white on the ground, from mid November on. When the season is winding down we seem to always get a double digit snowfall in March.
One learned that when the forecast is for sleet/ice I always keep 3-4" of snow on the driveway. The Plow can get into the snow and curl the ice up.

Tony, it's always possible to get snow in March in so. Mi. but usually temps above 40 takes it away pretty fast.. I plow for a few others and my average for many yrs is 7-8 times a season...so far this yr 5 plows and it's near Feb.

The weight is the key! I made a weight box that attaches to the rear out of plywood and filled it with concrete. I get it on and off with a floor jack. My dad and I made some 2-link chains for our '65 100 after it came out of the crate in '65 from old car chains. The 100 is for plowing with wheel weights and box, and I have a 127 hydro as a snow blower tractor also with just a concrete box. CANNOT have too much weight for a plow!!!! If you use the plow to move dirt (or packed snow), the lift rod is only good for lifting. I do not have a power lift of any sort, so to get downward pressure I used my foot on the lift handle in float and push, the lift rod, of course, bent. So I used a 1 inch solid rod drilled at each end for a 1/2 inch bolt solved that problem. With a good push I can lift the front end of the tractor off the ground!!

Remember that weights attached to the chassis translates to weight on the wheel bearings ( or bushings in most cases and you may want to rethink that as the bushings are small and soft metal. Wheel weights ( including filling the tubes halfway with water does a marvelous job of creating traction weight and stability on slopes.
I know there is that cracker picture with 20 wheel weights on each side and Im not 'for a moment suggesting you all go completely bonkers, but a double pair of wheel weights inside and out plus water should give you plenty of traction, also allow the tyres to bulge a bit by not pumping too hard.

remember that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, so those poor bushings are not going to thank you for extra chassis held weight

Latest posts

Back