• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 25, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorder

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Sean Corder
Was a little disappointed when I went to the Portland, Indiana Tri State Gas Engine and Tractor Show. Didn't see near as many Cubs this year. Mine would have been if it wasn't for the broken clutch spring. But all in all it was still a great show!

In regards to the speed up pulley-I did a bit of research and this is what I came up with.

"On the 44 & 50 inch deck IH had a stock pulley on the center deck pulley then they offered a altenate pulley which gives more RPM to the deck , I do not have the # for this pulley but they are available from cub cadet,:

"It is listed as a 4 inch speed up Pulley PN/IH 126393-CI. "

hope this helps.

1a_scratchhead.gif

Interesting. I'd like to know more about the speed up pully if it is still available for the 50" decks, that would be great. I think it would cut cleaner and perhaps chop up the clippings better. Ummmm Sponsors, have anything to add!

popcorn1.gif

Speed Control Stop

I recently purchased my 1st Cub Cadet. It is a 1979 model 1450. I am looking for a speed control stop fo the dash. It was missing and the tractor likes to take off into high speed with the slightest bump. Any ideas where I can find these parts?

Ron
Its definitely the creeper, I took th frame tunnel off and the shift lever will spin all the way around if you had nothing else in the way. I finished taking off the creeper and found the roll pin broke on the shifter and the yoke bent. Hope i can find some parts!!!!!

Ended up having the 1650 sold out from under me
rant.gif
but on the bright side I ended up finding a 782 in real good shape. Planning on picking it up next weekend. Hopefully this deal goes a little bit better.
rolleyes.gif

Marty--Welcome to the Forum!
groupwave.gif
You've found a great place to share a unique passion for these little tractors. Be careful though, they really grow on you after awhile. It is really hard to own just ONE! In regards to your statement about your tractor, IMHO I would take a look at the condition of your trunnion parts if it were me. From my experience, if they are badly worn when you move the speed control lever it won't react very quickly and then it will take off like a shot. Just my 2 cents.

Daniel G--I'm also interested in this speed up pulley deal--
popcorn.gif

Brian, BUMMER to say the least.
I had the same thing happen to me this spring w/a 1650 and it was a dual hydro unit to boot.
After talking to the guy the nite before, (he called me)!! and arranging pick up for the next afternoon, I drove nearly 180 mile only to find out he had sold it the nite before! Yeah, thanks for calling.....NOT!!!

At least you didn't come home empty handed!!

Dave S.

Here's my understanding of the speed-up pulley. Somewhere in the production of the 44A and 50A mowing decks, IH started using a smaller center pulley. From 5ish inches to 4-1/2ish inch pulley. How I found about this was doing a goodly bit of searching on IH decks and their quality of cut. There's a bunch of info in the archives.

I came to my speed-up pulley by accident. With the purchase of my 1650 came a 44C deck (used on 82 series tractors and later) and the pulley on it was for a wider belt. I blindly ordered a new pulley and what I got was the speed-up pulley.

Fast forward, I bought the 109 and got it mowing with the 44A deck that came with it. The idler pulley ate the deck belt and when I changed it, I also installed the speed-up pulley I had on the shelf - for the 1650's deck.

I think it makes a difference. Prior to installing it, the clippings exited the deck kind of just dumping out the chute. Not bad, but nothing like my other color tractors and especially not with the velocity of my MTD CC LTX4042 - which is a cheap tractor with CC colors, but gives a GREAT cut. That machine throws soaking wet clipping out with ease and no clumping.

Back to the IH content...

So I installed the speed-up pulley and have mowed with it once and the velocity of the clippings out the deck are definately faster, but again not as fast as my other tractors.

243848.jpg

I need to do some side to side adjustment of my deck and I think I'll have a pretty good cutting machine with the 109 and the 44 inch deck.

BTW, I also installed new blades. From the archives, at least one member is using Gater blades with very good results and the speed-up pulley.

I use my tractors 99% of the time for mowing and I was/am anxious to get these IH tractors giving me the same quality of cut as my other color tractor tractors, hence the tinkering with pulleys, etc. My view is IH built a premium machine and they should cut with the best.

Due to the depth of the older decks they will not create as much vacuum as the newer decks. But the speed up pulley and high lift blades will improve that tremendously. One thing that also helps a lot is leveling the deck front to back and side to side. The sponsors will have anything you will need to get your mower working great, and cheaper than your cub cadet dealers.
I went to the gator blades on my 44A deck and it cut the grass great but didn't throw it out better. So i went back to the high lift blades.

Yaayy, another Marty!!
There's a plenty Brians and Charlies,
rofl.gif
but until now, only one Marty. Welcome, Marty!
That's a nice Cub Cadet, but I bet it won't be the ONLY one for long, they're addictive!
thumbsup.gif

Good afternoon,

I've got a question about removing the rockshaft on my 129. This is the shaft that holds the button that engages the PTO. On mine someone must have re-welded the bar that holds the button because the button engages the PTO about 1/4 inch low which causes it to break the fiber botton after a few dozen engagements and the weld is strictly trash looking. The shaft is held in place with cotter pins it has a pinned bushing on the left side. The bushing is frozen in place. I'm guessing it has to slide inward to remove the shaft and it looks like the only way to do that is to drive it by driving a dowl through the other side of the frame where the shaft is held. Am I right or is there another way to remove the shaft? I'd like to ask around before I get out the hammer. Thanks

When I speed up my 169, I get a distinct "ping" or "piston slap" I think. I don't have this with my 10, 12, or 14HP Kohlers. Is this something unique to the 169 or do I have something wrong. Thanks

David- The piston slap you hear, as you probably know, isn't a good thing. It shouldn't be 169 specific. I have had 10, 12, and 14 hp's that have the same noise you hear.

David- I've run a 12 HP Kohler and a 14 HP Kohler and they sound exactly the same. Yours sounds like it may have a problem developing.

David- As Ryan said, it isn't a good thing, nor is it 169 specific. HOWEVER- If you don't have the cash to bore it out and put an oversize piston in it at the moment, you can probably get by. My ag instructor told me that at the Case IH dealer he used to work for, they ran a forklift for years with piston slap- every day, for several hours a day. However, I would tear into the engine and fix it as soon as you get the funds and time to do so.

Thanks to Mike Masheris who lent me a 1 inch pipe tap, I was able to cut some threads deeper into the block. Instead of trying to find an elbow and put the old muffler back in, I decided to put a stack on the tractor, it was super easy. I made a bracket from a 1/4" piece of scrap aluminum that I had left over from another project. Oh, and a can of BBQ paint I had sitting around turned it all black, don't know how well that will hold up, but it looks good now!!! Can't wait to mow with it! Cutting the side panel to fit on is going to be tough!

243886.jpg

243887.jpg

243888.jpg

243889.jpg

Frank- Thanks, buddy. I just came back to see what was up.. Unfortunately, there is no room for cubs here in the apartments.. And even if I were allowed to park them in the parking lot, I wouldn't be allowed to work n them, as we aren't even allowed to change our oil in the lot. (BC somebody who used to be there dropped an engine and tranny out of their truck, and then carried it up to their room and completely disassembled it.

Latest posts

Back