• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 19, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Got it about 95% assembled today. Still have to hook up the control valve and fill it with fluid. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to figure out how much fluid I need. I'd rather not calculate the internal volume of the entire hydraulic system. I think I'll prime the pump by filling the tank and turning the pump by hand until it fills the filter and everything between the reservoir and the pump. Then I'll put the belt on and operate the hydraulics and add more fluid as necessary. I really hope this thing works after all of this.

195660.jpg

Matt,

Once you get what you think is the rigth amount of fluid in it, use it for a while and feel the sides of the oil tank. My KW loader warms up the oil enough that you can feel the level with your hand, then adjust until the tank is 2/3 full or so.

Matt, By the look of that filter, you should be able to remove it, prime the filter by filling it up, and put it back on..should save time..

Dennis - I knew WP was West Pullman but wasn't aware of the other details. Thanks for providing that info. I understood IH actually had 3 different facilities that made hardware. Do you know of the other two???

Jerry - please please please keep those 100 parts for me, and if you do come this way bring them.

Did you happen to see that 100 posted in the For Sale section. I don't know who it is but looks like he's intending to part out a really decent 100 for big bucks. I did notice the rear wheels are not correct, or are mounted backwards like the JD ones. But since I don't see the valve stems they may be correct wheels just wrong way around.

Matt - that loader is looking really nice. Are you painting the inside of the bucket or is that some special paint, Slip Plate, or something?

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and 100s give you a real itch)

Harry-

It's this special paint made by Rustoleum that can be applied over rust, as long as loose chunks and scale are removed first. It brushes on very thick. I've used it on a few mower deck undersides with good results, and I figured it'd probably work good on here, too. I may additionally paint the inside with slip plate.

Hi Guys,

I need a little help again. I was pulling stuff out of a box that I had my K341 AQS engine parts in and found this part.

195665.jpg

195666.jpg

I looked though the cub cadet parts look up and kohler parts look up and can't find it. Is it even for the engine or tractor? Maybe it was something else and fell into the box? Any Idea's?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Harry,,, I would be honored to deliver the rest of those lug bolts! I think I owe you one or three!

Rob-
That's the muffler-bearing-retainer-shaft from your lawn chair. You'd better figure it out before SOMEONE has an accident!!!

Rob, I think Arts got it. I think it's for the left side

Rob: I'm going to vote on the side of the "it fell into the box" idea.
dunno.gif

Next door neighbor hauled a 149 home and decided he didn't really want it. Need I tell you whose side of the property line it's on, now? I even told him (quite honestly, I think) that if one were to have just 1 Cub Cadet garden tractor that the 149 would hold its own with any of them.
bash.gif

Have a great weekend, everyone!!
rtfm2.gif

TOO Many comedians on this forum today (Art & Dave!) Think I'll go out and do a little yard work, move two 850# concrete slabs with my loader on the Suuper H, SON & I will shoot some new white paint on a snow blade & the CC 70's hood, maybe even clear-coat it!

HARRY - I'm not really aware of any other IH plants that made hardware to the extent WP did.
I was an "Inter-works Material Scheduler" for about six months my last three yrs @ FARMALL, in other words, purchasing from other IH plants instead of outside suppliers, before I was moved over to the tire/wheel/rim/paint desk and also given a few other suppliers to keep me busy. All one girl did in that dept. was buy hardware, mostly from WP and a couple outside suppliers.

I dealt with E. Moline a lot(sheet metal and weldments), Canton, IL(heavy fabrications/weldments), Melrose Pk.(engines) Shadyside, OH (hood sheet metal for 2+2's) Memphis (Castings) Indy (More castings) Louisville had their own two people to deal with them, one handled machine finished parts, the other raw castings & forgings and steel from outside suppliers. I actually bought a drawbar "Hammer Strap" from IH Hinsdale Eng. center, also Harvester Press,(operators manuals).

There was the old tractor plant in Chicago, the McCormick-Deering Plant in Miwaukee, another binder plant in Rock Falls, IL. And of course the Ft. Wayne & Springfield, OH truck plants.

There's also been articles in Red Power about IH's coal mines in I think it was Virginia, the captive IH steel mill, Wisconsin Steel around Chicago/Gary, Indiana, IH also owned & operated logging & sawmill operations to make lumber used in some of their earliest equipment, and their two Iron Ore ships on the Great Lakes.

The way IH divided engine production up was Melrose Pk made the in-line engines, Indy made the V-8's. My PSD in my old pickup was PROUDLY made at IH's Indy plant! All developement & most testing was done in Melrose. IH also had a construction equip. plant in Libertyville, IL. A ductile iron foundry in Waukesha, WI. The Libertyville plant is now owned by Dresser, as is HALF of the Melrose plant because they also made crawler tractors.

There were also several plants in Canada, an assembly plant in Sautillio, Mexico, & Geelong, Australia. There was also a TWINE MILL for making binder & baler twine in New Orleans, another one in Chicago, and one in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Also had mills in Sweden, France, & Germany.

I could dig more IH plant info out of my books like that tid-bit about the twine mills, but IH was THE business model of Verticle Integration in the 1930's, 40's, & 50's. They controlled their product from raw material ore to finished product. And the company was truely INTERNATIONAL in scope. They had tractor plants in Doncaster, England, France, Nuess, Germany.

ANYHOW, the ONE person I really NEED to talk to someday, is Guy Fay. Many here recognize his name as the author of MANY books on IHC. He used to live about eight miles from me, He now lives in Janesville I think, about 30 miles away. We've exchanged e-mails a time or two. But I really want to sit down and discuss his reasearch of the IHC Archives at the Wis. Historical Library.

IH history lesson is over.... Continue kidding Rob about his extra bolt!.....

Demmis I live in Rock Falls, I know where that IH plant was. I went to church about 2 blocks from there in the 60's. Northwest Steel and Wire used it when IH was done with it and it was torn down about 5 years ago.

Dennis.
The IH coal mine was in Benham, KY, "The Town that IH built", but that is only 6-7 miles from the Virginia/Kentucky state line so you were not far off. Benham is in Harlan County, in the far southeast area of the state. If you are a NASCAR fan, it is about 50 miles, as the crow flies, from the Bristol, TN race track. <font size="-2">That would probably be about 150 miles by road, around the curves and up and down the mountains
lol.gif
</font>

DAVE - I thought you'd know about that IH plant. I delivered to NW Steel & Wire once, about two skids of printer paper in the back of an F350 dually.

PAUL B. - I REALLY need to get my RPM's organized so I can find back issues. I've got all the bookshelves made and the magazines are in them, but not organized.

I forget who wrote that article about the coal mine & town for RPM, but it was really interesting. Seems like it might have been Jim Becker, everything he writes is a "Must Read" when the new RPM comes. It was before Cindy Ladage started writing articles.

I've never been to Bristol but used to work with a NASCAR Fan that said it was the ONLY race worth watching anymore.

Well, SON's here, time to start painting & shooting paint....

Dennis, for the life of me I can't remember what they did there. I think I remember sheet steel after Northwestern took over but from when IH had it I got nothing. That was a heck of a nieborhood back in the day, Firestone and Goodyear had warehouses across the street fom each other NWSW on the next corner and the IH plant made up the intersection.

Dennis,

You should team up with Guy Fay and Jim Becker to compile a book about IH's factories. I always thought it would be interesting to know more about the history of each plant, where they were located (maps included), what did they produce through the years, what's left of them today, pictures of the plants (then and now) and the respective production lines and stories from employees. You have a lot of insight and interesting stories from your IH experience that you have shared here on the forum over the years which I always appreciate and enjoy.

There's not many of IH's original factories left anymore. East Moline, Canton, Louisville and most of Rock Island are gone and I'm sure there's more gone too. I believe Fort Wayne and Memphis works are standing empty. Melrose Park is still in operation as Navistar but I didn't realized that Dresser owned part of it. I believe Melrose became the corporate headquarters during the early days of Navistar after IH sold the 401 N. Michigan Ave building to get badly needed cash. I didn't know that the Libertyville plant is still in operation for Dresser. I believe Navistar closed down the Indy plant a couple years back for some reason and built a new truck plant in Springfield to replace the old plant. The Solar works in San Diego is still there and now owned by CAT. It's too bad IH/Navistar didn't hold on to that product line as CAT has made a lot of money from that division over the years, especially from China. Is the West Pullman works still around? I think Case/IH still has the Hamilton works up in Canada. I believe East Moline and Hamilton were the only two IH plants Tenneco aquired with the purchase of the IH Ag line and name as well as the Engineering Center in Hinsdale.

RPM has had an article or two about IH factories during the past several years that I have been a subscriber. They had a good article last year on the Austraila plant and its history and I remember the article about the IH Coal mine in Benham.

Now to keep this on topic, my 149 and 782 have been carrying out their mowing duties very well this hot summer down here in KS. I hope to get back to my 169 rebuild project this fall when it cools off a bit.

I need a little 982 knowlege quick!
What is the difference in the IH Red 982 and the C.C.C. IH Red 982?
dunno.gif

Are they of equal value?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back