Archive through August 16, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssadams

displayname
Scott Adams
How tight or how much slack should I have on the timed mower belt. Thanks, Scott

GERRY, NIC - If your running in areas with thorns, well, short of a vehicle with steel wheels or tracks, like Dan H's CC 100 Crawler, there's not much defense against thorns puncturing tires. Bush-Hog rotary mowers use a "laminated rubber tire", the tire is made from squares of old tire casings and attaches to a bolt-together rim/wheel. No air in them so they can't go flat. Running over the short stumps left after bush-hogging can puncture tires REAL easy too. Farmers are finding the new GMO corn stalks are like small sharp tree trunks also and will puncture 8,10, even 12 PR tires. For combines, etc they'll end up using log skidder tires which have a band of steel mesh vulcanized between the tread & tire casing. Still tears the tread up but reduces the chances of a flat. My Buddy took a short-cut across the corn field from his Dad's place 30+ yrs ago in his brand new Jeep CJ-5 and stuck a corn stalk through the sidewall of a GY Wrangler tire. He should have drove the 100 feet out to the road!

I used to have tire/rim/wheel inventory sheets I made up that showed average daily useage of all the tires/rims/wheels and a brief description. Bottom line, was just on those three items, I needed at least SEVEN-TEEN semi-truck loads of stuff to keep the line running a DAY. I was also responsible for a small stamping house in Dubuque, IA., o-rings from two sources, National Seal in Downey, CA, and a minority supplier in Indy, batteries from either Delco on Olatha, KS, or Presto-lite in Toledo, OH, which since they were two per tractor, A full semi-truck weight wise lasted about 4-1/2 DAYS. Then in the early/mid 1980's ILL went to 80,000# gross up from 73,280 so a full to legal weight truck would have lasted a week. I also released paint, mostly from Moline Paint Mfg, little from Valspar, then Sherwin Williams took over on the new red for the e-coat system, the big paint tank at the end of the finish assembly line. But the old 2150 red was still used on all the cast parts. And I also ordered clutch disks & pressure plates from Rockford CLutch, Div. of Borg-Warner in Rockford, IL. Then there were the other special little projects, like chasing difficult service parts for others. Special order tractors that needed special tires/wheels, outside contracted stuff. I was a tough guy to keep busy.

STEVE B. Yep, You nailed the problem with most of the 3-rib frts for garden tractors. Then you have the Firestone 16-6.50X8 with that HUGE center rib.

I was looking at Miller Tire's website yesterday and sent Ed an e-mail. Got a response back last night that Ed is gone this week but will reply Monday. They sell a Vredestein 4.00X8 3-rib that looks O-K, but calls for a 2-1/2"x8" rim, & CC's use 3-3/8" wide rim. I asked him how he thinks the tire will work on a rim 50% wider than the tire was designed for. I also asked him if he knew what "Gum-Dipped" on Firestone tires amounted to. I'll let everybody know when I hear back.

Sounds fun... That's what it was like when I was designing railcars. The plant can produce 16 new cars in an 8hr shift. All from scratch. Plate steel on one end, train car out the other.

I was I charge of designing hopper cars, it's fun spending millions of dollars of company money to make something just the way I wanted it.

Still fun to sit at a train crossing watch things I designed go by!

On topic, I think there needs to be a list of available tires sorted by size for front and rear somewhere on the site...

I'm going to tube the 23 deg Firestones I've got and put them on the 126. I haven't had much luck with tubes in that when they get a torn, it's a pain to fix, whereas with a tubeless tire, it's a plug and we are back in business. Some of the guys I know really like this stuff called Slime. Might give that a try one of these days.

On another note....

Picked-up a 14 hp K321 engine last night. Met a great fellow that had a 122, in very good condition, with a blown motor. While he is rebuilding the 12 hp engine in it, he came into this 14 hp engine and in doing so figured out wide vs narrow frame tractors. He was really more interested in getting his old engine back in the tractor and was glad for me to take this 14 hp engine off his hands.

Now what....

I might take the 14 hp engine and swap it for my tired, but still trying hard, 10 hp engine in the 109.

I'm still learning the IHCC's, but in my mind I'm thinking a great combo would be a 128 with a 14 hp engine in it and a 50 inch deck. Simple tractor, wide frame, little slower 2nd gear (which would be good for me) and a little more hp with the 14 hp engine.

It's been very cool in my neck of the woods, wore a long sleeve shirt yesterday. All this cool weather has me thinking about winter projects, like 23 deg ags on the 126 and finding a 128 for the 14 hp. I'd like to have the 10 hp rebuilt and put back in the 109 too.

NIC - Sounds like a neat job. Trains in general are facinating. Locomotives, the cars themselves, the weight they can carry, how efficient they are at moving stuff. Just awesome! My only rhetorical question is.... Why aren't we using them more?

Your idea of the list of tires would be neat, lot of work I think. Most retailer websites and even the tire mfg's themselves have a "Generic picture" of a representative tire and use it for all sizes of that tread style tire. And new different imported brand names are jumping into the market place all the time. Costs a FLLET load of Boats full of money to build a tire plant, so they're all made by someone with a new cheap, or modified mold with a different brand name.

I've wasted a LOT of time surfing the mfg. websites over the last couple years, Firestone, GY, Carlisle, Titan, Duro, Vredestein, Deestone, couple other's I forget. Like Steve said, the 3-rib frt tractor tire has pretty well been perfected since they gailed popularity about 80 yrs ago. I just want something that sorta looks like a Firestone Champion Guide Grip Heavy-duty tire in about a 7.50X16 size but scaled down to a 4.00X8. I'm not fussy... I just want what I want! I'll keep running my old dry-rotted GY ribs till I find what I want, I can put more boots in them if they blow. To my way of thinking, Any tire that holds air is a GOOD tire. Tread is optional. Like 45 yrs ago, Dad's ground driven David Bradley hay rake had a tire with a hole in it and the inner tubes sticking out right in the center of the tread. I raked hay for probably ten years with the tire that way. My Brother-in-law's Dad bought that rake at Dad's first auction and I bet my Brother-in-law still uses it. But I suspect he's put a different tire on it by now. ;-)

Denny,

I got a good set for my plow...just right. Imports, but good looking.

261636.jpg

Scott Adams,
Go to the "MANUALS" page, click on "Decks and Mowers", then "Original Deck Manual 1" or "2."
Either manual has the instructions for adjusting the cog belt, poage 5 in Manual 1, page 6 in manual 2.

Steve,

Are those "Deestone" tires on the plow? That is what I put on my 128 and 70. I like the way they look.

Got this in a box of parts. Wondering if this was for an Original and when it was being used. Any info would be helpful.
261639.jpg

Terry D,

That's a battery hold down bracket used on 1X8/9 and Quietline wide frame models.

Ron - thanks much for the info. No WFs here so guess it's going to the "special" place I have for those parts. Thanks again!

Any ideas about where I can find the steel ball involved in the brake components on a IH Cub Cadet model 72?

Oh, here is a idea, don't use compressed air to clean around the retainer. You can loose your ball this way.

Sure is a nice transmission, and it's cleaning up well too! The trans has not been propelled in 20 years. I was trying to bench test {some how, haw-haw/haw!} the brake retainer to see if it is stuck.

I really could find the answer to my question if I were to remove the working assembly from my 71, and look see. Must every turn be the hard way?
Believe it or not, this is the first part I ever lost, and yes I have been chirping all evening trying to find the ball that went air born.

chirp! chirp!

Man, did I hop on at the wrong time. Charlie's balls are shiny, Terry is round - filing WF parts ....

On a better note, trailer is loaded with a Cub 72, my Cub 73 w/ 10" brinly plow, a Cub 1772 Diesel with cat 0 brinly plow, a Cub 128 w 12" brinly plow, and a Orange Simplicity Landlord with a 10" (I think) plow.... attending a local plow day in a wheat field tomorrow about 7 or 8 miles from here. Will try to get a few pictures turning dirt!

Latest posts

Back