Archive through August 16, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering if a throttle cable for a 70 will work for a 73? I see they have different part numbers...

And to think that not all that long ago I thought one Cub was enough! And, thank goodness my wife doesn't log on to this site!!

Wow, Terry, it looks like you'll be set for awhile!
ihrotate.gif

Steve - always room for just one more!! Not sure where that room is but gotta figure it out quick!

Harry: I'll have to cogitate a bit on what you've served up. I'm used to working the other-way-round, from flat metal to finished product.

One thing I know is that metal expands as it is bent, so the dimensions of the individual spans across the length of the bent piece will not add up to the overall length of the original flat. I suppose if measurements are taken from the inside of the bends, it could be worked out. My brother bends metal every day, and has for over 30 years, I think I will get him involved.

Another fact of which I'm aware: the metal "stretches" depending upon its thickness. So getting a micrometer or caliper on the metal is imperative. I think we can account for paint thickness, but the metal itself has to be of a certain gauge.

The preceding thoughts are only my initial reaction, I'll get back to you upon further reflection.

Harry,

Thank you for the confirmation of my thoughts. I found some connectors that are similar and should work for the light application without the loss of too many points.

Unrelated, it seems to me that you told someone here about a rubber grommet that goes around the spark plug on a Quietline. Would you please be so kind as to re-educate me on its importance and significance? I believe they are NLA from Cub Cadet or Kohler, but I have an idea.

Jeremiah,
I also have many years of experience in sheet metal bending and design. I would bet that the shield is made out of 14 gauge. If I remember right without going back to look at the picture, it has 3 bends at maybe 30-45*. If that is the case, you will only gain about 1 metal thickness or about 3/32". I do not believe this will make that much difference.

Brian - the rubber grommet around the spark plug on an AQS Kohler engine is to provide a seal to stop air leakage around the plug and keep the air flowing across the fins on the head for cooling. They do show NLS in the parts list but Charlie says he has those grommets in his semi-trailer. Last I knew he hadn't found them yet. You could inquire - maybe he has found them by now.

Jeremiah - my dimensions along side a picture will probably help the most. You had that drawing/sketch picture that showed it the best.

Harry, after a good night's sleep I looked at your description again and transferred your dimensions to the aforementioned picture. At first I thought that the 10" was the overall length of the original piece, but then I realized that you had probably given me the sum of the dimensions "laid flat." Please confirm that I have interpreted your text correctly.

Wes, thank you for chiming in. I couldn't remember the technical term "gain, but I know that it can be a significant factor when it comes time to assemble more complicated parts if it is not accounted for. (Our engineers NEVER had such problems
happy.gif
)

My marked-up dimensions (please excuse the malformed arrows):

261726.jpg

Jeremiah - you have the side to side dimensions exactly correct. Now, for the 10" dimension. I didn't know how to account for the angles, so all I could do is lay a ruler flat on the top of the flat section over the muffler and take an eyeball measurement end to end (front to back), and that was 10". So, since you mentioned "gain" I don't know what the flat stock (no bends) measurement would be and hope with your expertise and others, you can determine that.
One other thing to mention, the center bend section is 1 and 3/4" as you identified. I measured that by laying a ruler flat on that part of the metal. So, basically my ruler was at a 35degree angle (off horizontal).
Hope this helps a bit more.
Oh, and one other thing - I was trying to explain the "left side" of the baffle (viewed while seated on the tractor)(right side looking at your pic) is parrallel with the frame of the tractor, and at a right angle to the front and back of the baffle. It's only the "right side" (viewed while seated on the tractor) that is angled. Your pic makes it look like both sides are angled but mine doesn't appear that way.

Latest posts

Back