• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 02, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis, my 122 has a set of ih weights and tru powers on the back. Thanks for the info.

If I remember correctly the ih weights weigh 25 pounds apiece, is this correct?

Deck on my 123 came to a slow stop this morning after mowing about a minute, then the drive belt began slipping. After disengaging the PTO and trying again several times, still no go...just a hard pull before I'd have to shut it down each time. I decided to give the mower spindles some extra grease. No go at first, then, after more grease, everything worked fine and I finished mowing the yard. However now the deck will not DISENGAGE unless the engine is at low throttle, and even then I need to coax it to a stop by fiddling with the clutch lever a bit. I'd appreciate some advice here....should I try adjusting the turnbuckle? Also, it seems odd that my deck would need to be greased since it has maybe an hour on it all season (my yard is small) and it was well greased when we sto

Charlie,
I was out on my Cub Cadet and a big wind came and blew the $100. bill I had in my hand away. I guess it's lost. Where do I send my adress????

Well, my earlier post was cut short during edit... just curious about possible causes for my deck repeatedly binding up temporarily. Extra grease did seem to help, but I'm surprised considering the relatively little use the deck has had since it was greased last. I'd also appreciate anyone's insight into whether the deck pulling too hard would likely cause a PTO adjustment problem. Hoping for an easy fix...Thanks!

Been looking for the gear shift fix from Ted ?? for long ago. Can anyone send me to the link. I need to do the repair

Tom H.
Ummmmm, That would be the North Pole!
You know, it's about 40 miles north of me!
biggrin.gif

Steve S., check the bearings in the tension pulley, the belt tension pulley on the deck, not the mule drive, (though one of the mule drive pulleys could also be going bad.) I bet they are seizing up. Spray some penetrating oil like PB Blaster on them and see if that frees it up. I had this happen on one of my 42" decks. I figured it'd be a short term fix but it's been working fine for about 8 years now.

I had a "fun" time this evening going to get another 149 about 45 minutes away. I got to the town and started smelling brakes. My cousin was with me and we pulled over to find the grease bubbling out of the front right hub on my little Ford Ranger. The caliper was going bad so we fooled with it on the side of the road and got it freed up enough to make it back to an Advance Auto store. There we replaced it and got back on the road after about 40 minutes in the parking lot. I'll post a pic or two tomorrow of the new to me Chevrolet 149. It's a little rough but it has a nice 48" deck. He wanted $350 for the darn thing but I talked him down to $200. I figure the hydraulics would be worth that much. This guy asked if he could take a picture of my license plate because he had a guy rip him off after coming to his house to look at a boat. I asked him if he wanted me to stand beside it in the picture. I also had to meet him about a mile from his house because he wouldn't give me his address I guess due to his paranoia. I didn't give a crap either way; I just wanted to get the tractor and get back home.

Off to bed...

Zack, meant to ask you, what front rims are you using with the V61's (you did say you had the 18x8.50's right?), did you have to modify the spindles, do they rub the frame etc. Ive had a heck of a time finding SGT wheels and or an 8x7's that aren't 4/5 lug, as I've said before, its lookin like off topic wheels are my best bet lol.

Wayne, sounds just like my kinda luck honestly. Hopefully he doesnt have officer brown and deputy don knock on your door because he thinks you ripped him off!
screwloose.gif

Wayne:
I also had to meet him about a mile from his house because he wouldn't give me his address

Did he bring the tractor to where you met him, or did he then take you back to the house??
Ummmm are you sure it was his?????
dunno.gif

Kraig: Oldie but goodie ! Lotsa names from the past on that page.....
old.gif

Gerry-

No, he just met my cousin and me alone. That's what kinda threw me; he wouldn't give me his address by email or phone, he'd rather show me where he lived. He had a Chricraft boat and the thieves actually waited for when he was gone to work. They didn't steal the boat, they stripped it; they even cut the transom and stole the engine. What's more, he lived at the end of a culdesac with houses all around so they must have been pros.

Thanks, Kraig...we'll do. Also, the PTO was rebuilt last February and had been working fine before this most recent episode. Now the deck will only completely disengage at low throttle (with some extra fiddling of the lever). Could the extra stress on the belt somehow cause this? Maybe I should try adjusting the turnbuckle, but I don't want to mess it up further...

Check out what the nice man in the big brown truck left on my door step last night...

228416.jpg

228417.jpg

228418.jpg

I already got yelled twice by the wife for killing time romancing them in the garage. But she must like them though... She corrected me when I said "My new tires" to "OUR new tires".

Big thanks the ME Miller Tire Co. They weren't cheap, but worth every cent. I'm 30yrs old and I don't think I've ever seen a brand new pair of Firestone 23's. Can't wait to order my 26x12x12's for the puller in September when they come out.

Steve S., I suppose it's possible that it could cause the PTO to go out of adjustment. It's also possible that the PTO went out of adjustment on it's own. A year or two back I had a brand new triangle spring break in a PTO I rebuilt, so be sure to check for that. Also, if the PTO does not want to disengage, make sure that you do not have the turnbuckle set to pull the PTO throwout lever in too far as that can cause the back of the button on the PTO to actually touch the end of the crank shaft.

Nic, sweet!

NIC - I saw my first pair of 23-8.50 'Stones in about 1970 and wanted a pair for thirty years, and PD #1 was what got me to buy my first set, think that was in 2000. I bought a pair of 26-12.00's in about 2005 to replace a set of Carlisles on my 982 I never liked.

Those 23-10.50's Miller sells are a great looking tire. They're worth the extra cost IMO. I like the fact they kept the closer lug spacing like the 23-8.50's had. My 23-8.50's actually have more lugs on them than my 26-12.00's, they're too far apart on the 12.00's, they'd pull better with more lugs.

The folks at ME Miler actually bought the molds and rights to the tire when Firestone discontinued them. So the 23-10.5's and 26-12's are dead nuts Firestone. No remakes over there, they are coming from the same old molds.

Here's the Chevrolet 149 I acquired yesterday. The good news is the tractor was kept in a barn so there's not much body rust. I also got most of the missing parts except the s/g. I even got the chute extention for the 48" deck. I don't know what shape the deck spindles are in. I pulled the dipstick and it has what looks like tar on it...nasty.

228425.jpg

It'll get parked, covered, and put on the list. I simply have too many irons in the fire at present.

Wayne, nice find! There ought to be a law against putting an ugly thing like that on a Cub Cadet.
bottom.gif

Back