• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 28, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyle B,
It fits a C-3 Mower on a Farmall Cub with or without the fast Hitch and an International Cub Lo-Boys. It will fit them all from 1960 to 1980.

Richard I hoped you would chime in on my problem. Since you are the king of the quietlines, (the finest cub series ever built), I trust your opinion. Thanks! I'll try these different tests and let you know what it is just in case someone else runs into this while mowing this spring. Happy cubbin boys.

Steve B. Thanks for the excellent answer as usual.I'll follow your advice. Kent

Question on the 3 point...

My 1200 does not have the bushings for the rod to pass through to hold the casting in place. So I need Frankenstein bolts and the jam nuts.

Is the lift lever casting the same in both mounting situations or do I need a different casting?

Someone asked last week about the mower deck undercoating I used last year. I was out of town so I couldn't reply.

Last year I undercoated my 50c deck with Truck bed coating from Wally World. I just put on one coat.

27728.jpg

I ran all last season and so far this year without ever cleaning it or removing the deck. Yesterday I took it off the tractor for the first time and this is what It looked like.

27729.jpg

I washed it off with a garden hose and used a nylon brush. Had to let it soak some. Used a small scraper to break loose the larger pieces, probably wouldn't have had to if I would have soaked it longer.

Then I took a wire brush on a small hand grinder and cleaned up the metal so I could repaint it.

27730.jpg

Then painted it up again. Actually I was happy with it, took less time to clean up than previous years and I think there was less chance for rust. Normally I have to remove and clean the deck several times during the summer. I'm sure it is much drier here than most of you encounter but it may be even better protection in wet areas.

27731.jpg

I guess I am getting old but I use this hoist all the time anymore, it sure beats the floor jack.

27732.jpg

Rick M.: You can use the same top piece casting for either. The only difference is if you use the bar, or the Frankenstien Bolts with the thin jam nuts.

I'm going to be installing a sleeve hitch on my cub. But I've got a question, who invented the sleeve hitch, what was the first tractor to have it?
Also, my wiring on my '68 is knackered, who sells new wiring looms?
What is the torque output of a 12hp kohler?

Steve, Thanks for the reply re: Hy tran. I'll put that on my "to-do" list. Also, from experience, what would be the recommended interval between changes? I'm not using it for my main mowing anymore so it'll be used for off/on yard work around the Lazy B ranch. Thanks.

Chris, if you're referring to the 3 point, even the Originals had them. See the FAQ for more info. Click on one of the boxes above for a wiring harness.

Knackered: adj. Chiefly British slang

tired, worn out, exhausted

Richard C,
Just curious about the bare-naked spots on the first pic. Do you think the coating did not adhere well in those areas, or is it actual wear due to more air and abrasives moving there? It's kind of neat to see the wear increase closer to the left of your picture (right side of the deck), since that's the direction the suspended clippings and other abrasives move toward the chute.
What is the thickness of the coating, and is there anything you can do (temp at application, heat lamps, whatever) to help it cure? How long did you need to let it cure before using it? I would think that with the rubbery and slightly lumpy texture, it would even quiet the operation a little. It looks like it held up well. Thanks for the update.

Chris,
Don't know who invented it but I have seen them on original cubs.
You can buy a wiring harness at my local IH dealer.
Here is he equation for converting horsepower to torque. This formula is a constant for everything.
(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower
So, (Torque x 3600)/5252 = 12hp or 17.5 lb/ft
Here is a link to more info on horsepower.
How do you convert engine torque to horsepower?

Chris-
If memory serves me right, torque peak on a K301 is somewhere in the 2200 to 2400 range, and it's something like 21-23lb*ft.

Or to quote from the Voyager days
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Harry Bursell - 02:21am Jul 26, 1998 EST (#934 of 935)
Tom @923 and others - I found a Kohler K series graph chart in a book by Paul Dempsey which shows:
K301(12hp) peak torque 22.25ft lbs @2200 rpm. Also max. brake hp is 12@35-3600rpm but torque is 17.5ft lbs. at this point.
Others interested are:
K241(10hp) peak torque 16.5ft lbs @2400rpm, and max. brake hp is 10@3600rpm torque is 14.5ft lbs.
K321(14hp) peak torque is 23.5ft lbs @2400rpm and max. brake hp is 14@3600rpm torque is 20.5ft lbs.
The BIG K341(16hp) peak torque is 28.25ft lbs. @2600rpm with max. brake hp 16@3500rpm torque is 23.5ft. lbs. Harry <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

yep, I had my Wheaties, that's almost 7 years back!

(Message edited by wcompton on April 30, 2005)

Richard C. Thanks for the update on the deck. Looks like it held up very well. Was one can enough for the job? Someone used graphite paint on the deck I'm working on. Anyone have an idea how to remove this stuff so something else might stick to it? Or once you use graphite paint you are stuck with it.
John

Bruce and John
When I painted it for the first time last year I probably didn't do a real good job of cleanup and prep first and I don't remember how much paint I used, I didn't put it on real heavy. Just used some Arizona sun shine to cure it. It dries fast.

The wear patterns show where the updraft of the blades must direct the grass and probably the sand and rocks. I just touched up those areas with a can of paint this year.

I really felt that it did a good job as I normally have to scrape every square inch with a scraper to get it clean and most of the junk just washed off this year.

My brother goes a different route, he coats his mower deck with houshold PAM every spring and he claims it helps.

Success! Stopped at Wal-Mart this morning and picked up the biggest tractor battery they had, 350ca. Put it on the 72, then farted around for awhile not understanding why it wouldn't crank until I realized I had the trminals on the starter backwards. I swear I tripped checked the book when I was assembling! Then cranked 'er for 30-40 seconds with the plug out to get some oil pushed around. Put the plug back in, added gas and cranked, and cranked, and cranked...
AND THEN IT STARTED!!!
Ran for 10 seconds and quit so I cranked some more. Finally pulled the plug and realized I'd flooded it. Cranked it for awhile with the plug out and grounded, I mean, it really needed the oil mixed around more right?
dunno.gif

Put the plug back in and after a bit more cranking at low throttle it started and ran. At first if I added throttle it'd quit so I just let it run for a few minutes at low throttle, then it would respond to throttle fine.
Ran for about 5 minutes and checked the oil, a little low but not bad. Topped up and ran for another 15 minutes driving it around to put some load on.
Couldn't finish because my wife had taken the truck with the bolts for the hood and the front PTO clutch off to class with her, so that will have to wait for next week, but I'm getting close!

Could it be relay
bash.gif
??

The (front) PTO on my 782 Hydro would not stay engaged. The mower would run if I keep the PTO switch in the "UP" position
buttrock.gif
. As soon as I release it, the mower would stop.

If it is the relay, where is it located
confused.gif
? Where can I purchase a replacement?

Thanks
Harvey

Latest posts

Back