• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

motor hoist idea

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Black

i was thinking .. what can i find that would lift this motors and diffs. body is beat. tough to lift these weights any more on the ole back... that is smaller then the normal hoist for cars and trucks.. will i come up with this idea.. its called a hoyer lift. for those who dont know what they are. there for lifting people who are stuck in bed or so on ..
they have lift weights in the 400 pound range.. can be had fairly cheap.. 100 and up used..

thoughts ?

00p0p_lbYk3KfFviVz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

This worked for me: Engine stand + small floor jack + some other odds and ends.
now that is awsome... i never even would of thunk it.. i have a stand to sitting doing nothing lol ..

we should have a tool cat on here... lol.... this homemade lift top of the heap for sure.

Last edited:
Dad built a "shop crane" in his garage. His garage is built with old utility poles (have been under roof for at least 50 years.. so they are good and hard) He used barn door track, a 4x6 and a chain hoist. It's real handy to pluck engines out of Cub's with.... I'm not sure if he has any pictures of it or not... we have been using is it for 20+ years now.

My tuck-under garage has a steel I beam supporting it so I use a come along and a couple of old hooks from some old ratchet straps and clevis-hook for pulling small engines.

I-Beam Hoist_01.jpg

Here's a link to nice gantry/hoist that Richard Christensen built:

Richards Hoist

If you search the forum using the word hoist in the search field and rchristensen as the member you'll find more information that Richard had posted about it.

i was thinking .. what can i find that would lift this motors and diffs. body is beat. tough to lift these weights any more on the ole back... that is smaller then the normal hoist for cars and trucks.. will i come up with this idea.. its called a hoyer lift. for those who dont know what they are. there for lifting people who are stuck in bed or so on ..
they have lift weights in the 400 pound range.. can be had fairly cheap.. 100 and up used..

thoughts ?

View attachment 144000
Been using one of these for years. They are the perfect cub cadet engine lift.

I do the same as Kraig.. I just throw a heavy strap around the main beam in the center of my garage and hang a comealong from it.. the engines are not that heavy and it doesn't leave a large footprint when you don't need it...

Here's a link to nice gantry/hoist that Richard Christensen built:

Richards Hoist

If you search the forum using the word hoist in the search field and rchristensen as the member you'll find more information that Richard had posted about it.
that is sweet for sure.. price of steel these days tho WOW....

some awsome post ... keep them comming folks.. pix also if you can.. some really good ideas ..

A little trick that I did once... I have a 16` ladder that folds up in 4` sections. The sections are hinged together and lock in various positions. I opened the ladder to make an 8` tall “A” frame. Put a 2 X 4 across the top and used a $20 come-a-long to pull the motor out of my 1882. Worked great, only did it once.

A little trick that I did once... I have a 16` ladder that folds up in 4` sections. The sections are hinged together and lock in various positions. I opened the ladder to make an 8` tall “A” frame. Put a 2 X 4 across the top and used a $20 come-a-long to pull the motor out of my 1882. Worked great, only did it once.

how many nobel prizes can be handed out here.. lol

another great idea. the TV ladder that you use on stairs to lol ..

The guy I bought my 782 from had removed the engine for transplant to another tractor, but sold that tractor before it got the engine. When he brought the engine out for loading, I noticed it was sitting on a playground swing and chain. He said he used that as a sling from his Kubota loader to pull the KT17II. I gave him trouble about all the kids lined up waiting for their swing back at the playground.

I have an old overhead wagon hoist sitting right outside the overhead door to the shop. 2 ton chain hoist I got at an auction for $10 stays on it. Will lift anything up to 2 ton, fron whole tractors, engines, and had had several deer dung from it. Always there and ready but out of the way and don't interfere with door access. Chains hag to the side on the X brace for the hoist.

Back