• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 25, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the correct color for the headlight housings on an Original? I have seen restored Originals with both white headlight housings with yellow mounts and all yellow headlight housings. My guess is yellow, but curious if they came both ways or what. Thanks Mike

Bruce N. If you look at the block do you see any sooty or oil spots below the head? A bad head gasket can give a similar symptom. It will run good when cold but as it gets hot it will leak and you lose compression causing it to misfire and act like it is out of gas.

On the older cubs you can usually spot a leaking head gasket by the oil or soot below the head.

Thanks for the info Digger, I have checked the deck suspension out, it's a complicated setup but everything is straight and aligned, and nothing moves that shouldnt.

The mule pulleys, with the recent belt installed, were free and clear of any obstructions, the left pulley was Id say about 1 3/4" from the front axel, and the belt had good tension. The belt prior to that one I beleive was too short and the pulley rubbed into the front axel a bit..but the recent one was fine in that respect.

Both bearings feel smooth, no grittyness or slop.

The root problem just seems to be the wicked angle the belts have to turn at the mule drive.

However on my Deere 316 with a nearly identical PTO setup, the belt lasts 300-400 hours, and it's jsut a cheapy Napa 4L Blade Runner belt.

My Wheel Horse tractors run a slightly different routing, but still put the belt under all sorts of twists and turns, and I have yet to tear one up, but they doo stretch to the max adjustment.

The cub just likes to eat belts. But the belt that came on it lasted a very long time...which is what throws me off.

Ive got a shop full of vintage and Early Garden tractors from 1962 to a Late 80's Mitsubishi Diesel..and the cub is the only one that eats belts.

I do have to say though that the drive setup is super slick now that I got the vibrations out of it. Wish the clutch would bite harder in 3nd and 3rd, If im trying to pull something that is stuck it just slips bogs the engine a little and slips the clutch..of which all plates and discs, springs are basically new.

IS the 1/2"X 77.5" belt the right size belt? I checked the previously mentioned site and I think that is the belt for a 44" deck on a quiet line Cub.

Oh. and Bruce N, Im assuming you have a Kohler K series engine on your vintage Cub. Id clean and re-gap the points, a set of dirty and out of spec points can mimick a carb issue and will get progressively worse as time goes on.

Just picked up a model 70 with deck,36" tiller,headlights,creeper,electric start and spring assist. Also came with extra mowing deck and some wideframe parts. It is not running yet but I am confident I can take care of that. When I push the tractor in neutral it has a spot in the tranny that has a catch in it but it pushes through without much effort. Any thoughts on what this might be? It does this with creeper in hi or low. Thought it might be a tooth busted off. Will post pics tomorow eve. I am very excited to have the new addition.

I do not reuse gaskets. I need to know which style to use. Parts look up and the manual do not say.
150431.jpg

Thanks Lewis. I am glad the 4 piece rings are correct. I like the looks of them better anyway.
I am happy to have the set of headlights for my 100. I have been looking for a set for about a year and ended up having to buy them off the evil auction site. Kinda expensive, but they sure look nice on the 70/100's. I guess now I'll start looking for another set for my other 100.

Richard: For my .02, I've been told that the thinner gasket leaves less chance for distortion of the carb base. Good topic.
old.gif
coffee.gif

Morning Frank, i like the thick gasket ,because of heat transfer that could boil the gas in the carb.Put brakes on my 147 yesterday.Its great now and will hold the tractor where its parked. I was always parking it so it would not run away.Took the new to me trailer and atv out yesterday for a run. we drove 60 miles and had a good time.Today i will slip plate 2 mower decks and reinstall a drive shaft in the 1862 after i take the wife to a brunch.52 deg here and weather will get nice later.will be installing the plow on Monday on my 149 (beulah) and see if she will plow a garden. Might have to take my 100 or 147 for disk duty.Walley world had tractor batteries on sale yesterday 300 size $39.00 with a $10.00 return for the old battery so i bought 2 for the cubs. Later Don T
old.gif

I used the thick carb gasket on mine. It didnt run right with the thin one. Actually, it still doesnt run right. But I need a new carb for it I think.
ihrotate.gif

Mike T., I believe that yellow is correct, however even an all original Original could have white headlights as the same headlights in white were used on <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> combines and a frugal <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> dealer may have sold whatever he had in stock. IMO white headlight housings on an Original look out of place.

Thomas H:
Be assured that not ALL Cubs eat deck drive belts.. I just checked and the last one I bought for my 129 (genuine CC replacement) was in 1995.. Like Charlie says - somethin's wrong someplace. Oh - BTW , way to go on the driveshaft fix!
thumbsup.gif

Thomas H, I had a center pulley on my 38" deck that was a little off kilter and it always was the reason my cub chewed belts and occasionally threw them off. I have since replaced the pulley and have had the same belt for about 3 years now and it looks very good still. Like Charlie and everyone else said there is always a reason. I would check there too. I had a heck of a time trying to find it but when I did it made all the difference.

My eyes aren't too good but it looks like the carburetor's seat top could be cut off and used for a throttle shaft bushing. Can someone with good eyes double check my measurement?

Thomas H. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your deck/belts. Closeups if possible would sure help. What may look correct may actually be wrong. What may look okay... worn.

I have so much respect for all the knowledge on this forum that it sometimes causes me great inner turmoil.
dizzy.gif
Example:

By Kendell Ide (Kide) on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 08:29 pm: They might be PRETTY, but real tractors don't hide their engines like girly girl lawnmowers.. heh heh heh..

By Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:26 pm: 123,147,1450 & 1650's feel good, look good and work well.

So, in the spirit of compromise, I picked up a 1450 without the "girly" side panels!
lol.gif
I rescued the tractor from the midst of some green tractors. I Win!
buttrock.gif

150445.jpg

150446.jpg

Engine and hydro seem good - no smoke, little slop, etc. Oil leak at filler plug. I used it to pull a dethatcher over the lawn when I got home, and no surprises popped up.

PS - I didn't take any pics of getting it loaded on the truck, because it wasn't as eventful as Don T's recent trailer ramp adventure!
clappy.gif

150449.jpg
Here is a plowday shot.
1066 5 Millionth was built by Gary Taylor of Princeton Il.

Pulled the soakin parts and tried the top of the carb seat. NO GO. Oh well...

Hello all.Friday a bought some new batteries so i could get some tractors running. This is what i waited all winter for. all 6 run and drive,at least around the house 4 times each lol. I had put in a gas stabilize so i just had to put in the bat and off they went. Made me feel good lol
later Don T
old.gif

150453.jpg

Back