• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 17, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I didn't get to plow this weekend, but I did get to spend most of the day putting E-tracks on the trailer.
17893.jpg

E-track is the same stuff they use on the inside walls of big rig trailers for securing loads. These happen to be galvanized.

This little clip is rated @ #6,000, so four of these should hold a cub down.
happy.gif

17894.jpg

Originally I was going to use "D-rings" instead of this E-track, but the cross-members on this trailer is C-channel stood up on edge, so there wasn't enough room to mount them in the correct direction.

On another, but somewhat related note, I wish somebody would have pointed these out to me earlier.
17895.jpg

I bought these bits at Home Depot because I was sick of the POS "titanium" bits I had that would drill 1/2 of a hole and quit. I drilled 51 holes in 1/4" thick C-channel today and after the last hole, the bit was still throwing nice big spirols of steel even though I couldn't use any cutting oil because I was going through the wood deck boards. Proof that good bits used at slow speeds can last all day.

<FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Paul, Charlie Thanks-
I was going on for ex. "if the left hand axle housing part number is the same between a 70 and 149, then the bushing and bearing are interchangable" because if they were machined differnt then they'd have to carry differnt part numbers, like Paul illistrated.

Now off to find some needle bearing housings!

Wyatt, come on over to my place next Friday and I'll send you home with a truckload of bearing style axle housings!!!

Dave G. You can use napa martin senour part no. 6040 reducer with cub cadet paint with good results and make sure you use hardner for added gloss that is compatable with synthol enamel.

John S -- good luck ! I seem to remember someone buying a big South Bend lathe one time ....

Art -- I've had awful good luck so far with Dewalt bits with the 135º point as I hate to use oil on somethings that I don't want to have oil soaked in.

Erik -- there's a section on rebuilding the steering box , makes good reading ;) my thanks to the author as I plan to de-slack my 127.

Weather Channel map was just covered with tornado icons , hope ya'll are still okay out there.

It's been a couple years (I think) but it's been stated before that the CC paint was to thin to begin with and didn't cover well. Of all the brands used I think PPG probably ranks # 1 in sales.

(Message edited by kweaver on April 18, 2004)

Ken, 4 miles from my house last night, and I was in another state. I was hoping it would take the damn thing!!!

Sounds like all that went to PD had a good time but where are the pictures????

I had a good cub day getting the cubs ready for the 24th but the weather decided that it wanted a chunk of the roof off of my house!! Kinda funny because when the shingles lifted from the roof I was laying under a cub greasing the steering box. Got everything "weather tight" for now hopefully.

OK Guys - no pics from Plow Day yet?????

What's going on here. I came back for a second and it sure looks awful quiet.

Kent Shulz - looks like you really did just pick up that Original - blood on the hood and all - that's tuff. Even most of the big guys on here wouldn't claim to pick one up.

The Ghost of Hydro Harry
169's will RULE Forever

Sounds like there's going to be a few guys over Fri afternoon to help disassemble a few Cubs. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

Harry who ?
happy.gif
Hey Elder that "thing" is still <font color="119911">GREEN</font>!

Like Harry said - 69's forever ! ;)

Erik B.
I will try and answer some of your questions, but first I would recomend that you buy the service manual for your Cub. Its the best money you will ever spend. I've been working on Cubs for years and there isn't hardly a day go by that I don't check something in the manual.

1. On the PTO, I doubt it is bad, probably needs adjustment. If you shut the tractor off and turn the key on and listen by the PTO while you switch the PTO on and off you should hear a solid klunk, if it sounds more like a click it is out of adjustment and not pulling in correctly. If it was mine I would remove the hood and grill, muffler box and muffler and then remove the PTO, clean it up check it out and then put it back on going through all of the adjusments in the manual.

If you want the quick and dirty adjusment you need to adjust these 4 lock nuts on the PTO for a spacing of .010 inches between the driven disc and the driving hub through the 4 slots in the brake flange.

17899.jpg

This is a warner PTO normally black.

17897.jpg

This is a ogura PTO normally silver.

17898.jpg

2. On the loose steering, some things to check before you overhaul the steering sector.

a. Check all of the ball joints.
b. Check the axle slop in the cross member where the pin is. Sometimes you have to remove the axle and pin and squeeze the cross member frame together until the axle just slips in. Some people replace the pin with a bolt but you have to be careful not to hit the oil pan with the bolt.
c. On the steering sector wiggle the side plate that the steering rod is attached to. If there is a lot of slop you can tighten it some with the adjusting nut and the jam nut on the other side.
d. Also on the steering sector side plate there is bolt sticking out with a screwdriver slot in it, called the cam follower. To adjust it loosen the lock nut and turn it slightly CW and lock and turn the steering wheel from side to side to see if it improves the slop without binding. Normally this adjustment doesn't work because the cam follower is wore and when you try to adjust it it jumps from a lot of slop to too tight.

The best thing is to remove the steering sector, clean out all of the old grease, replace worn parts, regrease, align and replace. Rebuilding the steering sector isn't hard but since it is a 1450 you will need to remove the hydraulic controls before you can get the steering sector out.

Nothing is too hard to do, but you really need the manual.

Ken U., Cubgratulations on the twin "tricycle motors" hope all goes well. Sounds like PD7 was a good time, wish I could have made it.

Tedd I., no disk!?!?!?!? :eek:(

The "incident" involved my 10 year old step daughter, Teryn. We drove two tractors to the field her on my 72 and me on the 149 with the plow. She has drove this tractor around the yard for a couple years now. Going down Bluegoose was fine, when we got to Anderson I crossed and entered the field at the intersection Teryn (Ter) held up for traffic.
This is the hard part of it for me. People were showing up, I was excited, I kept checking behind me but I got way to far ahead of her. she stayed on Anderson rd and for whatever reason about halfway between the intersection and the entrance to the field, at full speed, she just turned left.
When she went through the ditch on the north side of the field she bounced off the tractor, in trying to hold on she managed to pull herself under the still moving 72. The tractor continued on in a big arch around the field crossed the ditch again and came to a stop still running against a fence post on the north side of Anderson. When I got to Ter she was crying and holding her right shoulder there was a tire track across her left cheek. I called her Mom (Kerry) on the cell. Larry Gerlach showed up and shut the 72 off then he went after Kerry cause her cell woudn't take the call. By the time she got there Ter was moving around some.

We got her up and she walked to the truck under her own power but slow. Kerry took her home and cleaned her up and within an hour she wanted to come back to the field. I saw this happen and I am amazed she isn't hurt worse. One 2 inch bruise on her right hip, a scrape on her right cheek and anouther on her left calf. When I asked her later that night what she was thinking when she tried to cross the ditch like that in the first place she just said "I didn't know I'd fall off". Add that to the list of things I didn't do right Sat. So if you pray I'd appreciate a word for him looking after fools and childeren.

Kraig,

Man I'm as bummed as you are. I was getting the camera out to take a "Opening the field" shot and "No disk" flashes up on the display. Man I cursed a bit at that point. It is still in the computer at home right now. I'm afraid what I will do to it for hiding on me like that.

Hee hee... I didn't know she was your ward, Dave, but I had a nice chat with her in the concession-stand. She was pretty proud'a them scrapes, and moving around pretty good. Y'know the difference between kids and adults... Kids recover from hurt pride and hurt body, while adults never recover from either...

But as consolation, I showed her (what's left of) my left foot and told her to be careful. Chalk it up as a 'learning experience' for both'a 'ya.
I think childrens' survival falls into that lucky-or-good category... Teryn was lucky. Of course, if it'd been something more like a Murray or Snapper, well, it wouldn't've even caused bruises or scratches.

Harry's still alive!!!!!!!
Cannot believe that noone took pictures of plowday!

Dave, my boy tells me the bruses are there becaulse the chicks dig it. Not sure how this works for girls. Too long ago. When they get up on their oun we are just thankful. No end to the suprises they can give us.

Welcome to the Forum, Paul E!

everyone just came back from a plow day and are suffering from PPD (Post Plowday Depression), so they may not chime in right away!!

Back