• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 17, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PD pictures of a deere
17905.jpg

forgot the picture

Whoa!!! Who's the muscleman in the background????

Keith, Dee wanted to know
lol.gif

Actually, that looks like a good picture for a caption.

"Check it out. Keith is behind me digging in the dirt for his tweezers. I can't stop laughing!!!"

New here to the forum, looks like an excellent site! I own one cadet (1811) and currently looking at some others.

My question is concerning a 582 SPECIAL, any information on these would be appreciated. Is a 17hp. Briggs&Stratton the original motor on these units? Thanks in advance for any response.

Kevin:
Welcome to the forum. According to Jonathan Luckey's IH Cub Identification site, the 582 featured a B&S 16h engine. Don't know what the word Special would indicate.

Kevin, the "special" refers to the fact that the tractor has the peerless transmission. This means that it is belt driven. I believe that this was one of the tractors that IH made when it was in its death throws in the 1980s. I have a 582 special and it is still a darn good tractor. I just replaced the original drive belt after all these years. It does have the 16 hp B&S twin.

The 582 Special has the same motor as the 582, a 16hp Twin Briggs, and is the replacement for the 1100, with the Peerless tranny.

Both the 582 Special and 1100 are considered off-topic since it is not a GARDEN TRACTOR, but rather a lawn mower.

However, Bryan has a secret yearning to own a garage full of them...because as I was told last week, the 1100 is highly collectable..
happy.gif
They guy about passed out when I told him that everybody I know buys them only to part out (great sheetmetal usually)...even if they run.

Just uploaded several pics to the PD7 forum..hope you enjoy.

Kraig- We will see if I can figure out the DVD-RW on this new laptop in the next day or two...

i'd like to pass along a good deal i heard about for 2 spool loader valves available from
Prince Direct: open center, 11 GPM rated, 2 spool WITH joystick, boom float, power beyond and plumbed internally in series for simultaneous cylinder movements for $85. they were made for New Holland loaders but the (SAE #6) working ports were drilled slightly off center from where they should be so they held them back. model "LVS" part number HC-V-BE36. i have no stake in this, just a good deal i heard about, regular price $275.

to stay on topic, i pulled the engine on a 122 this afternoon for rebuilding tomorrow, weather should be good for it. the K341 is almost ready to go back in the 169 just in time for mowing duty with the 50" deck. i'm interested to see how it does in the tall stuff with the K361 cam.
buttrock.gif

(Message edited by nfisher on April 19, 2004)

What is the proper order of the components of a 582 driveline w/creeper gear box? The 582 I just got has its driveline all in pieces. Specifically, does this drive line have two flex couplings and a 5/8" dia. steel ball on the creeper side of the driveline? Or is the ball on the engine side of the drive shaft? Thanks for the help in advance, I have not yet been able to purchase a repair manual.

Bill "D",
At least the color of the crappy dirt match the color of the tractor! :cool:.

Kevin,
Didja' pick up anything on the way home???

The rag joints should go at each end, and the 5/8" ball goes on the tranny end between the driveshaft & creeper input shaft inside the coupler.

Kraig or Charlie can probably get you a pic when they get on here next...under edit...<font size="-2">well I took too long for that reply...</font>
happy.gif

(Message edited by rmull on April 19, 2004)

WOW!!! Now Hydro Harry!!! My first post was inspired by Hydro Harry, BGC, (A freind of mine gave me a 126, given to him through his sister, I was hooked!!) I e-mailed Harry with a question, and he said that'd be a good question for the fourm. So I posted,with excelent results, I can't stress enough, how this fourm has inspired me to twist wrenches for myself. By the way-I recently bought a 149 with a model 2 tiller, QA-36A snow thrower, and a 42" blade for $400, It came with a K321AQS ? not the original engine? Anyway it's been bored 10 over, supposedly new bearings, valve job,bla bla bla, Just not enough time in the day to play. Hope to post pic's for lot's of questions !!

Steve L - say that's great to hear I might'a inspired you a bit to get into Cubs. One day I will have some time to get back again.

Erik B - I'd sure follow the advice of ole Richard C and get the manual soon as ya can. Why I'm almost surprised Rich didn't have an old one to send you. Mine got so many greasy finger prints on'm I think I might even need a new set. When you get your first one it'll be almost like the night for' Christmas and you'll be readin it twice maybe 3 times.
Now - on your PTO problem - in all my years I only ever had a problem with one. I'd certainly do the adjustment 1st as Rich advised. One thing tho - you didn't mention if your Amp meter registers a dead short or hard discharge when you engage the clutch with the engine running. If it does I certainly suspect you have a bad coil. That was all that was bad with the only one I had the problem with. Funny thing tho - that was early in my Cub days and before the Forum. I was twisting my local dealers ear for advise since my clutch still worked just registered the hard discharge. All he could tell me was - he didn't think it was the coil cause if the coil was bad it wouldn't work and the coil would only be good or bad. He only had 1 coil left on the shelf in spare parts and after that the only part available was buying the complete clutch. The coil was $60 and the entire clutch was $225. Needless to say I almost fell off the stool I was on. I took the chance and tried the coil - AND IT WORKED! I don't know if parts are available again or if you can get them used from some of the sponsors or others guys on here but I'd certainly give it a try. They do last a long long time (in keeping with IH tradition). Good luck in fixin' her BUT please get a manual as well.

Jerry SPUD Bliler - hope you still got that Original kickin' round. I suspect it's the only thing that'll get my head in shape again.

KENtuckyKEN - what's this here GREEN thing you're talkin' bout? Only thing I recall is GREENhorns and your's fell off.

Well guys - in keepn with my tradition of long winded posts I better cut it off now. As MacArthur once said "I shall return".

The Ghost of HydroHarry
Wide Frames always rule, especially 169s.
I do love QuietLines, but I also got this thing for roundy fenders too. (Aw @#$%, I got a thing for all of'm).

Back