Archive through April 04, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith O - I'm just getting caught up on a couple days worth of postings here, so I'm a little late replying to your question about tall seat bumpers. But, Cub Cadet Specialties carried them before the fire. I emailed Charlie a couple weeks ago, and he plans to have more in stock very soon. That is, IF he decides to come back from Mexico!

The holes in those brackets looks like they may have been cut out, and new ones welded in. just sand in down and do some weld filling, then grind it down even. Just my thoughts.

From Keith Clinker:

285252.jpg

285253.jpg

285254.jpg

285255.jpg

285256.jpg
happy.gif

2 horsepowers.
happy.gif

Also, the 147 has a cutout in the frame to allow for the larger flywheel shroud.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Fellas, I don't mean to cut in.

Dennis F, So I figured out International Harvester's reason why they chose a direct drive mechanical energy transfer system over belt drive.

1. The shortest distance between "a" and "b" is a straight line, hence the very fundamental principal of a direct drive system.

2. IH Cub Cadets incorporate that straight line link between the engine and transmission.

3. Makes for a drive system that not only produces more energy transfer, but also produces less friction, and will out last a $80.00 belt three to one over a reasonable time frame of 46 years.

4. The belt drive system must, and I repeat MUST pass through two ninety degree right angles to admit energy transfer to the ground.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Harry asked, "What kind of place were you working at?"

We made small "appliances", but also was a contract mfg. for much MUCH larger versions of the same appliance for commercial/industrial use branded with a name everybody would recognize. Company had made many innovations in the design of that appliance over their 50 yr history, and depending on who you ask, was either #1 or #2 in the whole US marketplace for that product based on quality, performance, durability, reliability, and customer satisfaction. The company that was our primary competitor hired our head engineer away from us 20+ yrs ago.

Most of our products were small, would fit in a shoe box. All the machined parts I bought were tiny, in fact, I've had many machine shops that could easily make machining chips larger than most of my parts I bought there.

The plant I worked at was one of several plants in one small division of a very diversified $8 Billion/yr corp. Not big by today's standards, but fairly well run for the most part. They traded plants & product lines and brand names, made joint ventures with new companies for new niche markets with the best of other corp's.

JOHN L. - While all your reasons why IH used a in-line shaft drive are valid, I think the reason why IH used a shaft drive was because the Cub Farmall the CC GD rearend came from was already shaft drive. The only problem was the CUB engine ran the transmission at 1400 RPM at the time, while the Kohler engines ran 3600 RPM. The CUB rearend used bull gear & pinion reduction at each rear wheel with the rear wheels being MUCH taller than the small wheels on CC's, but IH installed a 7:1 reduction gear in fron of the 3-spd sliding gear transmission to slow the whole tractor down. This resulted in the CC transmisssion running 515 RPM.

ANYHOW, for whatever reason IH did build their little garden tractors with drivetrains similar in design to their BIG ag tractors, which have proven to last many many decades. I lurk at another site that features gear drive tractors with variable speed belt drives in their drive trains. They seem to have a REAL high incidence of problems with them.

Frank C - hey thanks for pointing out 0040 is a 127. My cheatsheet had it is 0030 - so back to the drawing (excel) board.

Keith C - one other difference between the 127 and 147 (that Frank didn't mention) is the 147 came standard with an electric lift. Also, if you scroll to the bottom of this page the next to last post shows a pic of David Kirk on his folks brand new 126 the day of purchase. The 126 is basically the same as your 127 except it's a manual/gear drive.

Dennis - that small appliance company sounds interesting. Were they an IH competitor? (Can yo give us a hint at their name?)

Latest posts

Back