• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

82 Series Engine Replacements

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Larry S.
Why not just upgrade it to a series II KT17 and be done with it. Or if your lookin for MORE POWER, go with a 25 horse Command or something along those lines.

An 18hp Magnum IS a KT-17 II with an oil filter.......good motor, but like all of Kohler's boxers, sometimes they will drop a governor gear into the works.

Does anyone know where I can find a rebuild kit for a KT17? Also what is involved in updating the KT17 to a series II?

B&B take down the SPONSOR'S links , they don't work !

angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

You can't update a Series I to a Series II. Most of the parts of the motor is different and it would cost more to update than to buy a Series II out right. Roger

The KT17 in my 682 runs great for now, but when i'm ready to replace it i have seen a few new kohler and honda engines that come with kits to fit in the 682/782. don't know anything about the honda engines. i've heard these newer kohler command engines aren't near as well built as the older kohlers. also heard that kohlers are now made by tecumseh. is this true and should i just stick with getting a kt17 series II thanks

Adrian- I wouldn't think twice about a Honda engine, they kick @$$, IMHO. Very dependable like the K series Kohler engines.

Just to dispell some rumors about Tecumseh making engines for Kohler - not so! These two companies do not associate with each other as they are competitors. About the only thing they have in common is they are both located in Wisconsin.

Mike H.

Yes the KT-17 will fit in the 582. You will have to change the wiring harness, ignition switch, pto switch, pto clutch, exhaust, air intake duct work and the clutch driver. All of these components are different and will not work on the KT.

Has anyone ever put a K341 from a quietline into a 582. What all is involved in this swap.

Thanks

Phillip,

Fairly easy swap, Mike M just did it. MTD made a 1282 that used a 12hp Kohler single in an 82 series frame.....parts are almost a dorect swap, as are QL engine mounting rails. I'm sure there may be minor wiring issues, etc......but VERY "do-able".

I'm getting ready to do this swap just as soon as I get my 582 it's in another state but hopefully soon. I had a a guy email me and said I needed a flat bottom oil pan for the swap.

I work with a guy who's got a 16hp Kohler magnum engine horizontal shaft. It came off a portable saw mill. Will this work on a Cub?

Phillip, you can use the normal deep sump pan. Like Steve said, use a 1282 setup or Quietline engine rails and the 1282 rails that lift the motor. Some folks make their own spacers. Just make sure you get your 16 raised up and the driveline angles straight.

Phillip,

It needs to be the small base oil pan........not the one with flanged tabs for mounting.

Sump depth does not matter as long as the pan sump clears the axle pivot bolt head.

Cub Cadet sells a Drive Shaft Alignment tool which should enable one to align the engine correctly. Part # 759-3426.

Would the wiring diagram for the engine (16hp briggs) in a 582 be the same for the 20 mag kohler I'm installing. I don't want to purchase a service manual for it if it's not going to help.

Back