1641 restore

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdeephouse

displayname
Roger Deephouse
hey yall im looking for some input on restoring a 1641 that has a blown motor. I can get the tractor for next to nothing and comes with a mower deck, snow blade and rear ag tires.seams to be all thare and my thoughts are an 18hp kohler mag. motors are easy to get ahold of if it would be a possible fit any thoughts on this?

Next to the B/S engine a Kohler Command 18-25HP would be an easy fit. Compare wiring from the 1641 to an 1864(as example) tractor. Magnums are pricey on parts and thirsty on gas by comparison.

That doesn't mean you can't easily install one; reference a model 1862 CC as an example.

All you need to do is a parts comparison from the 1641 to an 1862 (Magnum) or 1864 (Command) and work from there. May take a driveshaft adapter, wiring changes and such but it is a relatively easy swap in either case. Regardless of engine choice, NEVER apply any (+) voltage to the engine's white wire, that is the "ground-to kill" wire and if power is applied it will wipe out the ignition module(s) of the engine.

It will require using the appropriate Cub Cadet muffler which is narrower than the stock Kohler muffler. Needed to fit within the confines of the hoods.

yo Jim thanks for your input, i found an 18mag for 350 localy in a craftsman tractor. maybe givne it a ring job and lap the valves and see if she will mount up

Latest posts

Back