• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1250 Refurbish\Restoration

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsterley

displayname
Darren Sterley
Hi all, my friend picked up a 1250, im helping him fix it up. were tearing it down to bare frame, for a blast and paint, here a couple picture of what we have so far.
all hints and tips are welcome, this is the first complete tear down ive done.

234932.jpg

234933.jpg

Darren, one tip I'll give is to take lots of photos of the process as they can be quite helpful when it comes time to put it back together. Another would be to put the small parts and nuts and bolts in separate bags with labels as to where they go.

Thanks Kraig, ive been taking a lot of pictures, i like the bag idea, right now ive just been putting them all back where tey came from.
what the best thing to do with the rearend, to prep for paint, clean it by hand our sand blast.

I wouldn't sand blast, too much or a chance of getting sand/grit in the sensitive hydro-trans. I degrease 'em at home real good with the "citrus" based cleaners and power wash the heck out of 'em. Almost all if the trans is covered with sheet matal and you will never get the glass like paint job like the sheet metal gets on the cast iron anyhow.

Darren-

I'd also plan on a good, proper IH color unless you have other schemes in mind. Now's a good time to replace the pump gasket, rework the trunion/brackets, weld and resize worn holes, ISO mounts (couple of short cuts here but I'd try and go back OEM), etc and follow Kraigs advice the whole time. It can be a rather long list for what you asked but that's why the forum is here. I've gone through a couple of 1250s and it was a good time with nice end products.

Good luck

thanks guys, ill degrease and power wash the rearend to be safe, and it is going back to IH color the goal is to make it look factory fresh.

Hi all, got a couple questions, im preping for paint i know not to paint the pump but what about the breather on the back i highlighted it in red, is there anything i should do to that, clean it and with what? leave it alone, what do you guys do?? ore is that even a breather? thanks again.

235142.jpg

Darren, yes that is a breather. I would just brush it off with a stiffly bristled brush (like a brass brush) and then place a small piece of tape over it to mask it. Or do like Don T and place a plastic bottle cap over it before you paint. I prefer the masking tape as you can size it closer to the actual breather size.

thanks Kraig, will do, this is defintly a learning project

Darren-

There's no problem painting the front and lower part of the pump. Just don't paint the fin area on the top rear. Half of the pump is cast iron and will readily rust. I hope you plan to take care of the pump gasket at this point too. There's a write up in the FAQs on what is involved. There's also a write up in the FAQs about the trunion repair. I'd do what I could while everything's apart.

Looking good so far...good luck!

Thanks Wayne, and yes i finished cleaning it up last night and pulled the pump off to replace the gasket, it had a bit of seepiege, when i cleanded up the fillter it had a IH stamped on it, so im thinking its been a year our 2 since thats been changed.

I just put a glob of grease over the breather...paint over it, and then wipe it off when the paint is dry...works perfect.

makeing a little progress, all the little parts cleaned and ready for paint.

235420.jpg

Darren, nice progress, gotta like nice clean metal. Good to see that the engine cradle has the cross brace. I assume you added it, well done.

thanks Kraig, yes we added the cross brace, and its a good feeling, now got new parts coming in (thanks to the great sponsers of the sight) and now paint being sprayed, cant wait to see it done

Darren: How did you manage to get all the parts painted and not wind up with a yellow bench and shop? Every time I paint I get as much on myself as on what I'm painting. I get more new clothes this way.
smile.gif

Seriously, looks good, and I know you're excited. It looks like it will be next year before I'll be able to lay paint down, but I'm looking forward to it as well.

Jeremiah, Were doing all the paint in my dad’s garage, he put a exhaust fan in the window just out of the view of the picture, it made a big difference in the over spray, and the fumes.

few more progress shots, on the pump we painted everything except the fins on the top of the pump, will this be ok??
first coat of yeller
235735.jpg

haveing some fun wile prepping the pump
235736.jpg

and the pump, turned out great, but did we put to much paint on it the fins are bare on the top of the pump,(the pump is upside down)
235737.jpg

Back