• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

106 vs 127 vs 147 Newbie Questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a week so I figured I'd give an update. Over the weekend I swapped out the carb and changed the oil. Happy to report the oil other than being dirty was free of any containments. The tractor fired up for the first time strictly off of fuel and runs. It runs rough. But it runs! Very exciting. I then began investigating the ignition system and put an order in for a complete redo as its clearly long over due for a refresh. Once that's done I'll see how its running and determine my next move.

I am not a huge fan of the choke clip. I managed to crack two of the tabs trying to reattach the choke cable. I have a 3D printer so I am contemplating making a new one that might be a little more durable.

View attachment 155517
If you can find an Adel clamp that's slightly undersized, that would work!

Been a week so I figured I'd give an update. Over the weekend I swapped out the carb and changed the oil. Happy to report the oil other than being dirty was free of any containments. The tractor fired up for the first time strictly off of fuel and runs. It runs rough. But it runs! Very exciting. I then began investigating the ignition system and put an order in for a complete redo as its clearly long over due for a refresh. Once that's done I'll see how its running and determine my next move.

I am not a huge fan of the choke clip. I managed to crack two of the tabs trying to reattach the choke cable. I have a 3D printer so I am contemplating making a new one that might be a little more durable.

View attachment 155517

View attachment 155517
There is a definite technique to getting the clip on. It will go on fairly easily IF you're doing it right. Wish I could describe it, but only remember struggling with it until I figured it out.

Did a full replacement of the ignition system yesterday. New points, condenser, coil, plug wire and spark plug. Set all the gaps according to the manual. Voltage Regulator looked new inside but I cleaned it up anyway. I now have good consistent spark. I went to start it and already noticed a major difference, however it will not run super long. Did some digging and saw that I am not filling the fuel bowl in the carb. I am not used to gravity fed systems but have a feeling there needs to be enough fuel in the tank to push fuel down through the sediment bowl and into the carb. I pulled the fuel tank regardless and will clean it up.

Few good updates on my 106! I cleaned the sediment bowl along with the gas tank and found success last weekend. I was correct in my thinking that the gravity fed system needs enough fuel in the tank to keep the carburetor bowl full.

The new ignition system definitely did the trick in getting the machine firing properly. Video link below!

My next thing to figure out is how to get the tractor to idle lower. I can only get it down to around half throttle with the lever entirely pulled back. I'm glad it runs well on the top end but some lower rpms for reversing would be nice.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WTEsJXDj9QtEfsvK8

A few pictures for clarity.

1000008091.jpg

Attachments

• 1000008090.jpg
    1000008090.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
David, first it appears your linkage is dragging on hose,can you move linkage to outer hole in arm.The other pic shows (guessing) about an inch of possible movement in cable however it appears your spring is relaxed and should be close to that for idle..so no absolute answer from me..If you choose to change govenor arm you be well advised to find good directions.A mistake of very high rpms will cost you an engine.

David, please tell us your thoughts about IH Cub Cadets versus your John Deere now that you've been working on them. It sounds like you're really enjoying this project and I think you'll need another one soon. As you can see this forum is fantastic as well. Keep up with your posts and of any thoughts for your "next one."

I'll attach my video below. Gary nailed it with the fuel line just dragging enough on the throttle linkage. A quick bit of repositioning and I now have complete control over my throttle.

New video by David Collard

I enjoy working on my Deere but its a workhorse machine so I don't get the same tinkering feeling as I do with the Cub. Within the first week of owning that one I had swapped out the quick change oil system to the conventual filter and nipple. I find the Cub much easier to wrench on and much more straightforward. There really is some truth to the statement "things were better 50 years ago" I guess!

My next steps with the 106 will now be more restoration directed in the spring. I am going to mount up the plow hopefully this weekend and make sure I am not in need of more parts there. A few more mows with the Deere up here in RI to pick up the late falling leaves and I will need to reorganize my shed to somehow squeeze two tractors into it. I've joked with my wife that its an every weekend thing now to at least head out and fire up the tractor for a little bit to keep things running right!

Besides playing around with the plow in whatever snow we get up here this winter I have my gears turning for what I want to do in the spring. The first priority is getting some new tires as these are original. While I'm doing that I may as well paint the rims and restore those. I'm torn between some BKT TR-315's or Firestones for the rear. I'm almost certain I am going to go to 10.5 from 8.5 as I enjoy the wider stance. The fronts will either be BKT ribbed or I am ponying up and buying some Firestone 3 Ribs.

Once tires get sorted I'll be at a crossroad. Buy more implements or sink into doing a full restore and repaint. I really wanted to get a Johnny Bucket Jr for this but have concerns about killing the starter generator with excessive voltage demands of its electric actuators. I'd like to get my hands a rear sleeve hitch and maybe a tiller.

I've got plenty to keep me busy on this machine for the foreseeable future but I am sure if a 782 came up with a sweet price I'd try to sneak it home!

The 147 is the LAST of the NF's and the FIRST of the 14HP Cubs.
ALL THREE of them are part and parcel of series #6 made up of the 106, 107, 126 (3rd rarest Cub produced), 127 and lastly the 147. These plus the 73 that was carried over from the previous series.
Series #6 were produced from Sept '71 to Oct '74.
Good luck in what you do.
You can't go wrong IMHO with one or all!! Heh Heh!!
So what IS the rarest cub?

I believe the 800 is @1 at 2,345 units built
Followed by the 169 w/4,005 produced, then the 126 w/5,247 units
The 147 chimes in w/15,678 units
Figures from Oscar H. Hills III book, "50 Years of Cub Cadet"

I believe the 800 is @1 at 2,345 units built
Followed by the 169 w/4,005 produced, then the 126 w/5,247 units
The 147 chimes in w/15,678 units
Figures from Oscar H. Hills III book, "50 Years of Cub Cadet"
That is interesting because I have seen several 800s around here I don’t care for them because the later model cub cadets arnt in my interests.

Figured it's been a bit. I finally got the plow mounted up today. I had a bear of a time spreading the rear forks out enough to mount on the pegs properly. A little extra persuasion and I am ready to play around a bit finally. I was impressed after soaking the angle latch pin I was able to unstick it and move my blade freely from side to side. Not expecting to move a ton of snow but with my 260lbs body sitting on the rear axle it should be enough for now to move a few inches around. Still waiting on spring to get new tires all the way around.

I pretty religiously start it up on the weekends for 15 minutes or so. The Starter Generator is due for a rebuild, I am not getting a ton of charging on the battery to crank the machine over after multiple starts and restarts. This machine has become my trailer towing friend. I no longer have to tear the bagger off my Deere to hook up on my trailer.

1705277956521.png

1705277980203.png

Figured it's been a bit. I finally got the plow mounted up today. I had a bear of a time spreading the rear forks out enough to mount on the pegs properly. A little extra persuasion and I am ready to play around a bit finally. I was impressed after soaking the angle latch pin I was able to unstick it and move my blade freely from side to side. Not expecting to move a ton of snow but with my 260lbs body sitting on the rear axle it should be enough for now to move a few inches around. Still waiting on spring to get new tires all the way around.

I pretty religiously start it up on the weekends for 15 minutes or so. The Starter Generator is due for a rebuild, I am not getting a ton of charging on the battery to crank the machine over after multiple starts and restarts. This machine has become my trailer towing friend. I no longer have to tear the bagger off my Deere to hook up on my trailer.

View attachment 156315

View attachment 156316
You may know this, for snow clearing lower rear tires to 10psi.
Jack

Latest posts

Back