• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

WWII Farmall H

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some work done last weekend.

312299.jpg

312300.jpg

312301.jpg

My Dad said that when his FARMALL H and M were new the governor on each would open up if the tractor was at an idle and passing over a gopher mound. That is how sensitive he said the governors were set.

Marlin- Not sure how its going to turn out but the bearings have to be done and the parts manager at IH gave me a few tips on what to watch out for. The fly weights have wear marks on them but they appear to be smooth so it looks like they'll be ok to reuse. $300 for new weights so its worth a try.

Mike- Thanks! It will probably be primed and painted at some point but this project will certainly not be a 110 point tractor. I'm not taking all the dents out of the oil pain and I will be using as much of the original sheet metal as possible just to keep it 'real' if you will. I want to use it as much as possible and just might paint it myself, just for the experience. I'm very excited to see things coming together.
Shift.gif

Good to hear you're enjoying the build. It's always fun putting all the little bits back together and it's works as intended.

Brian B. When my Mom had the M overhauled after my Dad passed away that summer, I re-painted the M. Definitely paint your H yourself. The thrill of driving it the first time with new paint and being freshly overhauled is worth it. I felt on top of the world running the M and corn corn picker that fall.
happy.gif

A few more updates from Saturday. Almost have a head now. Almost bought new keepers for the valves but the old ones looked better than the new ones on the shelf over at the IH dealer. I feel lucky though that they even stock parts for this old war bird.

I didn't get a picture of this but we took the old water pump off the tractor and the dumb thing came right off and came apart with no problems. Couldn't believe it! the pulley adjustment even broke free pretty easy. Dumb luck I guess

312371.jpg

312372.jpg

312373.jpg

312374.jpg

Thank you Mike.

Here are the replacement wheels. The H only needs one and a good friend of mine has an H with a bad key so $100 didn't seem like a bad deal for the pair.

312690.jpg

Thanks Brian.

My "A" has wheel weights that I think are 150 each, and the steel wheel is maybe 30 to 40 pounds. I've always been curious what the cast wheels weigh.

Brian B. Very nice acquisition. Congratulations. My Dad's H will need the front cast pieces that hold the rim to the hub. I'll be making a trip to Franzen Family Tractor Parts in Monmouth, Iowa to get those and other parts when I start my Dad's 1946 H. I could spend days in his yard.

Brian, nice! Should be getting close to getting it started. That should be a fun day!
bouncy.gif

Yes! Didn't know that lifters needed to be reground when I got started otherwise they would be done by now. Should be back next week I would think.

Latest posts

Back