Quantcast
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Welder madness

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
I picked up a 129 for parts but realized that with a little effort I could get it working again. However the previous owner should have his welding equipment confiscated for doing this to an IH Cub.

Attachments

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Wow, did they actually weld the seat pan to the mounting springs? Is the weld on the brake a repair or a modification of some sort?

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
Yes, the seat is actually welded to the spring bracket and the brake pad was welded to the pad retainer. PO must have had a set of unused automotive brake pads he decided to make do with.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
I guess that's one reason they make angle grinders...

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
Dad often commented, " A welding rod holder is a VERY dangerous weapon in some people's hands." Dad could weld, he amazed me sometimes the things he could weld together. However, his weakness was his cordless drill. Son welded up over 30 holes drilled into the hood of the #70. Can only tell looking at the inside or underside, closely!

IHinIN

Some people should have their tools confiscated. The 126 I had was owned by some of those people. They had cut notches out of the frame to fit a K321 or K341 and left it like that. When I got it, it had a K301 in it and someone had welded scrap steel into the frame notches. The frame had sagged and they didn’t bother to straighten the frame before welding in the scraps. It was so bad that the hood overlapped the dash by about 1-2”. I immediately fixed the frame and replaced the cotter pins in the driveshaft with spirol pins.

kashaver

displayname
Kelvin Shaver
I have an "O" with lots of that kind of welds on it. . . .

It reminds me of the service manager talking to the design engineer years ago. "He (Field engineer) is modifying the conveyor. It involves the use of fire." (I found out later the torch was his favorite tool.)

kkuhlman

displayname
Kevin Kuhlman
Could have been worse, my 147h vermeer trencher [147 cub with vermeer attachments] had a chevy truck drivline welded to the hydro input shaft when I bought it 30 years ago!

RayF

displayname
Baker6x6
1963 Studebaker Hawk... someone welded the harmonic balancer, to the end of the crankshaft.... in the wrong place I might add.... (pulleys didn't line up very well)