• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Welder madness

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
I picked up a 129 for parts but realized that with a little effort I could get it working again. However the previous owner should have his welding equipment confiscated for doing this to an IH Cub.

Attachments

• 20200917_092832.jpg
    20200917_092832.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 375
  • 20200917_092906.jpg
    20200917_092906.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 375
Wow, did they actually weld the seat pan to the mounting springs? Is the weld on the brake a repair or a modification of some sort?

Yes, the seat is actually welded to the spring bracket and the brake pad was welded to the pad retainer. PO must have had a set of unused automotive brake pads he decided to make do with.

Dad often commented, " A welding rod holder is a VERY dangerous weapon in some people's hands." Dad could weld, he amazed me sometimes the things he could weld together. However, his weakness was his cordless drill. Son welded up over 30 holes drilled into the hood of the #70. Can only tell looking at the inside or underside, closely!

Some people should have their tools confiscated. The 126 I had was owned by some of those people. They had cut notches out of the frame to fit a K321 or K341 and left it like that. When I got it, it had a K301 in it and someone had welded scrap steel into the frame notches. The frame had sagged and they didn’t bother to straighten the frame before welding in the scraps. It was so bad that the hood overlapped the dash by about 1-2”. I immediately fixed the frame and replaced the cotter pins in the driveshaft with spirol pins.

I have an "O" with lots of that kind of welds on it. . . .

It reminds me of the service manager talking to the design engineer years ago. "He (Field engineer) is modifying the conveyor. It involves the use of fire." (I found out later the torch was his favorite tool.)

Could have been worse, my 147h vermeer trencher [147 cub with vermeer attachments] had a chevy truck drivline welded to the hydro input shaft when I bought it 30 years ago!

1963 Studebaker Hawk... someone welded the harmonic balancer, to the end of the crankshaft.... in the wrong place I might add.... (pulleys didn't line up very well)

Back