'Tomcat' From the Beginning.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom - just realized from your pics that you're missing the rubber pad for the brake pedal. Definitely recommend you get a replacement. A slightly wet shoe/boot will slip right off the metal plate.

Also, that looks like glue on the inside of the top of the cab. Is the top even metal?

Harry,

It's a hydro.... what does he need to use the brake pedal for? LOL.....

Mine gets used once, each time I start it......

Tom,

Nice setup. Wish I had a cab. The 149 is one of my favorites. I've run one since I was a kid. Dad still has the 149 he bought in 1978. Still a worker to this day.... it has the blade and chains on it ready for winter.....

TOMCAT's bone-stock CozyCab disassembly should be a straightforward affair. Next door in Litchfield, MN the old Reinke Sheetmetal Co.(now Custom Products) 'Bent Tin Panels' then assembled them around the metal frame using mostly galvanized screws. Lotsa robotics in there now. Zero parts are kept for old Cabs in Litchfield anymore, so it's junk yard for a wiper I guess.

300324.jpg

Cab getting disassembled this week. QUESTION:Where is a good discussion Re:paint stripper vs. bead blasting. I'm in Minnesota...so Outdoors is OUT as far as working on it goes. I have this glue/tack stuff on panel inner surfaces

300593.jpg

TOMCAT's Adhesive/Glue probably secured sound-deadening insulation at one time. Once disassembled...what's good Plan of Attack? Gottabe inside as it's 9/F Degrees outside.Locomotiveman Tom

300626.jpg

Tom-
Just some thoughts...

That adhesive is going to be a #$&*!@ to get off. If it were mine, I would just go with it... Scrape it down good with a stiff putty knife to get rid of any loose chunks, then use some contact adhesive to reapply some short nap "indoor/outdoor" carpet with contact cement.

These cabs are amazing LOUD when mounted to a hydro tractor blowing snow at full-bore. (hydro whine) Anything you can do to bring the noise levels down is a great help.

I put some black carpet from Fleet Farm on the ceiling of mine and it looks great.

You'll probably need Acetone, MEK, MEK substitute, or something along those lines to remove the adhesive residue. If it doesn't come off with those things, then I'd follow Art's advice.

TOMCAT's adhesive residue sorta actually etched the metal. I will only repaint it, no more foam. Mineral spirits and a Single-edged razorblade sorta works. Hmm. Pics later. Locomotiveman Tom

300631.jpg

Mineral spirits is not a particularly great solvent for removing adhesive residue, in my opinion. One of the solvents I suggested should make the job go much faster.

TOMCAT it Topless now. The Cab is structurally VERY sound. I will have a local place bead-blast the Cab then prime it after I disassemble it. TOMCAT is nicer looking without the Cab. Locomotiveman Tom

300636.jpg

Tom - any "topless" pics should really be posted in the "Geezer's Garage" thread, but you're fine posting pics here that have the cab removed
biggrin.gif

Why is it you think Tomcat looks better with the cab removed? When the snow is on the ground, and blowing around I'll bet you think Tomcat looks pretty good with that cab mounted. Why don't you look for another 149 (Tomcat II?) without a cab. Then you'll have a dedicated winter unit, and a 3-season unit, which I strongly recommend for your part of the country.

TOMCAT's Cab has certain rust that doesn't lend itself to sanding off. Blasting the Piano Hinge with beads or Sand? I dunno. Locomotiveman Tom

300639.jpg

Definitely not sand. Not sure how you'd get all of the sand out of the hinge afterwards. If it were mine I would lean towards electrolysis, as it won't embed stuff in the hinge and wear it out.

I am leaning toward R&R the old Piano Hinge with a more robust one. TOMCAT's sliding window gasket/track is shot also. Locomotiveman Tom

300643.jpg

looks better with out the cab But cabs are nice and I would not turn one down

Tom S. I would get a hood hinge from the Quietline Series. They are more robust. Sponsors should have one for you. And yes cabs a noisy. Not for those with hearing loss.

Marlin - I believe Tom was referring to the hinge on his cab not the 149 hood. Look down 2 pictures to see what Tom is pointing to.

Yes, Harry,I was referring to the Cab PianoHinge. Lota Tack-welds, but that can be undone. Looks to be 'Generic' farm-supply store hinge stock. Cab's sliding window rubber track...boy I dunno if that is readily avail or not. Appears to have a metal wire core that is pretty shot. Locomotiveman Tom

300679.jpg

There are many vendors for the "cat whiskers"..

I have some samples laying around here and a business card if you want or need them.

Latest posts

Back