• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

'Tomcat' From the Beginning.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom S.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just order the complete 149 decal kit from Charlie?
dunno.gif

I thought about the decal when I ordered everything else. My Hot-rod restorer pal sez they have some excellent 'Bling-bling' stuff out there now. He actually GLUES metal together now instead of wire-feed welding it, as does Boeing etc.

302182.jpg

My old company hated the word "glue". They acted like it was a bad word. We called it structural adhesive. And in most cases, when properly applied and cured, it was stronger than the base materials and had a longer life cycle than the metal.

I was trying to use it in the railroad industry to combine dissimilar materials. In most tests, I would fail a base metal before the adhesive would give up. That's why cars today are mostly glued together, not welded. No heat also = no distortion... Some of the basic stuff I was testing held 2500lb/sq inch in tension! Imagine hanging a car from cables glued to an I-beam with just 2sq in of contact area.

In one test, I hung 5000lb from 6sq in and tore a layer of steel off an I-beam. Imagine glueing it, then pulling so hard, part of the steel comes off stuck to the glue! And the glue had glass beads in it to keep it only about 1/16" thick.

I'm really impressed by some things my Wrench-head pal does with Double-sided glue tape. Incredible strength. A Relative working on 'Stealth Jets' say it's the way of the future...not welds. I'm sold.

302188.jpg

I am seriously considering 'Gluing' TOMCAT's cab together. Locomotiveman Tom

Tom - I wouldn't do that (glue the cab together) since most of the glue being discussed is permanent, never to come apart again.

Yes. I understand the 'Glue Thing' is permanent. I'm just now in pals garage watching him Glue a '36' Ford together. It needs close tolerance fit-up...which CubCadet Cabs don't have.

Any glue is only as permanent as the amount of heat that you apply to it. My ex BIL learned that when he took the family car to a body shop to fix the trunk lid that someone had sat on and dented. The shop owner thinking they still welded trunk lids applied heat to remove the dent. So much for "permanent".

Yes, the Headlights are merely sitting in there for the Pic only. I am making up new wiring harness soon. Locomotiveman Tom

TOMCAT's Fuel Tank is structurally sound, with a soldered patch near the lower left seam. Visual inspection shows very shiney clean surface...no rust.

302383.jpg

TOMCAT's Fuel Tank has a hot-soldered patch near the lower right seam. Internally, the tank is very clean. No dents externally, but it needs repainting.

302386.jpg

Fuel Tank appears good. Straps good. Mounting brackets good. Ready to Prime n Paint TOMCAT S'more. Locomotiveman Tom

302444.jpg

82/F in the Paint Booth this morning. Not unlike a Sandblast Booth. Just enough room for my Rattle Can of paint and a rubber-gloved arm. TOMCAT's getting more lipstick every day.

302450.jpg

TOMCAT seems to be coming along great! I have laid down some surprisingly decent paint work on an IH Cub Cadet using "rattle cans" ! My next upcoming IH Cub Cadet project will be painting my model 86!

Tom S - what's that big spot on the heat shield? It looks like something has been welded to the top of the shield right next to the slot cut-out for the spark plug.

Back