• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

'Tomcat' From the Beginning.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsteinman

displayname
Tom Steinman
This Thread will be for improving a Cub Cadet Model 149 Serial# 2050047U496602. Earliest known owner: Bud Radunz Willmar, MN from 1975-2015. Current owner: Tom Steinman, Willmar,MN. Oct.31,2015-present. Includes Cab,3-blade mower deck, and 42" Snowblower. Running in Good Condition. Weak battery. Auction Price $560/USD.
Locomotiveman Tom

Man Tom, you scored!
buttrock.gif

Jeff. I will indeed stay connected. I started a 'Baby Book' Ringbinder and dedicated Camera Card for all things TOMCAT. So far, only 'Unload It' and 'Buy New $41 Dollar Battery'. Next will be Buy Manuals. Locomotiveman Tom

I have the Serial# Tag for the Cab on my 149. Locomotiveman Tom

300210.jpg

300209.jpg

Before repainting, how should I fix nasty angle-grinder gouges in TOMCAT's front axle? I am trying to fathom why got there in 1st place. Is this a place for JB-Weld??

300269.jpg

Tom-

Those slots were made by the pulleys on the mule drive when the belt got ridiculously slack. The axle is cast and can be welded up but I wouldn't use JB Weld here. You'll understand a lot better once you start mounting the undercarriage/mowing unit. It was a mower at one time.

Upon Closer Inspection: What's this?? It fell off while pressure washing TOMCAT on day #7. Inside Diameter is sized to go over something 1 1/2" OD. I first thought it was a muffler clamp. Nope,thickness too thin for that. Washing apparently dislodged it.
300272.jpg

Tom that is the flapper that is suppose to disengage the hydro, there are two little buttons on top of the hydro that disengages the unit to free per say. NEVER push or pull the tractor with out these two buttons depressed.
there is a little handle on the tunnel cover that had that flapper mounted to it.

Tom this is what they look like new, CCSpecialties above has them.

300275.jpg

Now I know, TOMCAT's Hydro buttons pusher-downer. And what's this? Steel Bar Stock attached to the Lift Arm mechanism.
300281.jpg

It's not OEM, and was probaly for a shorter than OEM lift rod to use with snow thrower/push blade

Upon Closer Inspection: My first project will be to disassemble the Cab and have it repainted. All the Cab's assembly screws are unpainted.

300284.jpg

tom here is the lever for the hydro flapper

300287.jpg

Tom-

Charlie (CC Specialties) has a good hydro flapper made stronger from a little thicker steel. I think he even includes a new (tiny) roll pin for the fix. It's an easy fix too. I paint the flappers unlike the OEMs. It just makes sense to me.

Good luck!

Wayne,thanks. Upon Closer Inspection: After reading Dtanner,Jstormsa & JBoelens Restores in Archives I have decided I will have a local place sandblast and repaint TOMCAT's Cab once I disassemble it, but I'm not up for a Tractor Restore. TOMCAT runs fine, I will order up things from CC up North of me and have a nice solid runner for $$Cheap$$. Gonna be a fun project.

300291.jpg

Tom CHOO CHOO - I don't see any real significant rust on the cab so I'm wondering why you would want to sand blast it. I myself am more partial to just sanding off rust and wire wheeling if necessary. Sand blasting can make the metal brittle, and with the large panels on your cab I have to think if you sand blasted they may crack when in use.

Also, I know it's getting cold up your way but if you've got a temperature controlled area that you could paint in I'd just paint the panels myself after you get them cleaned up and primed. And if it was my cab I'd paint it all with the Case/IH Federal Yellow. CC Specialties stocks it in the rattle cans and quarts. I've been quite successful using the rattle cans in controlled conditions. I painted a complete model 107 once and a professional painter couldn't believe I used rattle cans. The 169 in my profile was painted with rattle cans (and it is the correct yellow. I don't know why the pic makes it look like it's lighter). It also saves you alot of money over having someone do it for you, and the color will match your tractor which I assume you'll eventually want to paint as well.

Now, I still recommend using your tractor and making sure everything is in good working order before you go to painting. I wouldn't think going thru one winter in your area would add that much more rust to the cab or tractor. I'd hate to see you messing up nice fresh paint if you have to tear something apart to fit it. You had mentioned the hydro worked good before, but I still recommend you remove the cab and remove the fenders and get a good look at the trunion and linkage on the hydro, and make sure the slot isn't worn. THere's alot of info on it in the Cub Cadet FAQs. And while you've got the fenders off that's really when you should paint them, and then there are only 4 bolts holding the engine in so you could remove it and paint up the frame. I'd remove the dash and pedestal and paint them but you could do it while it's still on the tractor, although I really don't recommend it. I like to paint the insides so you'd have to remove it. And if you do remove the pedestal then you can make sure the hydro control and hydraulic lift control linkage is all good as well. Before you remove the engine I'd remove and decarbon the head and piston - which Kohler recommends every 500 hours - and whil you have the head off you can get a look at the cylinder and measure it up. Then I'd remove the engine, de-grease clean and paint it up. I'd remove and strip the paint off the carb and install a kit basic needle and seat and gasket kit which is about the best $15 dollars you'll send. And of course I'd install new points.

Maybe you can begin to see why I'd recommend using the tractor, then come spring start tearing things apart to inspect, repair, and then paint before re-assembly. (And get the correct Case/IH 935 White paint from Charlie as well. If you go to a tractor show you'll want your tractor to match the correct color of the others).

Harry,'Upon Closer Inspection' I see a few things somewhat amiss. Firstly, the Cab needs paint. Particularly on the inside. I suspect 'Sound Deadener' foam was once stuck to Cab panels with adhesive. The Cab needs TLC. I would have a local person perhaps 'blast it with beads'...not silica sand per se. Cab is coming off soon.

300306.jpg

Back