'Tomcat' From the Beginning.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeF. or others, Yes,I would like to know about 'cat whiskers' vendor. QUESTION: TOMCAT's Cab is getting 'glass-bead and Apricot pit blasted' Friday in my shop. How best to first remove the rubber gaskets surrounding all the windows without breaking glass? Locomotiveman Tom

I found out how to remove Cab Glass. Cut the old rubber and PULL. Done now. Bead-blasting Friday.

300716.jpg

I found out how to remove Cab Glass. Cut the old rubber and PULL. Done now. Bead-blasting Friday.

TOMCAT got his Butt wiped today. A wiped Butt is good. Locomotiveman Tom

300752.jpg

The Blaster job went great. Cool water injection feature for thin panels.Glass Grit and Walnut shells did the trick. I will K2 prime t'morow. I'm happy. More PICS later. Locomotiveman Tom
300758.jpg

Tom-

Is there a reason you decided not to remove the fender pan???

I'd be very careful dealing with grit that close to the pump.

Just curious...

Or the battery, wheel weights, etc.

I, too, would be concerned about blasting media getting past the seals and destroying the innards of the transmission, engine, etc. It's not good for your wiring harness, either.

I'm curious why, if you are going to the trouble of blasting and painting it, why you are not taking a bit more time to do it right and disassemble the entire tractor and clean and paint parts individually? Are you going to paint over all the rust, dirt, and grease on the inside?

TOMCAT's wiring harness is being tossed. We didn't blast directly the Hydro tranny area or engine. I air-hosed things right away, it's fine. After Cab removal I noticed it had been rattle-can painted over rust more than I originally thought. I may do a final 'Battery out and pan removal' later. It ain't a Lamborghini...it's a $562/dollar thing, and it's December in Minnesnowta. The blaster just finished a mid-50s Packard Executive for some collector.

300771.jpg

Jeff, since you stopped by I've driven TOMCAT 10 blocks or so. No issues so far. It WAS 'rattle can' painted here and there in decades past. The Cab came apart like LEGO's. That 1880's Potato Digger turned out A++ after blasting. It's already painted. Prepping TOMCAT now w/MEK n Degreaser etc. prior to 2-part Primer. Tom

300775.jpg

I'm a believer. SprayMax 2K Epoxy Primer in a can. Who woulda thunk!! German patented product. Genuine 2-part primer because you burst the hardner cartridge within the can prior to usage. Excellent reviews...now mine. Locomotiveman Tom

300946.jpg

TOMCAT's cast parts I've set up since Paint Booth priming look good. SprayMax's Dial-it nozzle was handy. Fill in and pattern was NICE. Goes on Almond...dries primer grey. Paint window is OK...48/hrs. or so. Speed Channel n YouTube had a nice piece on the stuff. Locomotiveman Tom

300957.jpg

Very happy with the SprayMax 2-part Primer. 64/Degrees inside and -4/F outside. OEM Yellow and White later for TOMCAT. Locomotiveman Tom

301568.jpg

TOMCAT's getting more Yellow every day. NOT happy with my 1st 'RattleCan' of Yellow from IHC. It was a 'dripper' that threw splats out. Had to switch to Can #2 for better results.Locomotiveman

301572.jpg

Question for the 'Greybeards'.TOMCAT's enamel painting (IHC dealer stock)over an epoxy Primer didn't have good 'Fill and Flow' until I laid the part board flat to facilitate a good coat without runs. It appeared grainy/dull. Temp is 62/F w/bone dry electric heat. Too COLD?? Held rattle-can too far away?? Locomotiveman Tom

301575.jpg

Tom, if you want to be <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> factory correct, put the paint on so thick it runs.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Here's a sample of OEM factory applied paint:

301577.jpg

301578.jpg

I'm rattle canning small parts this week also, Tom.
Using plasticote cub yellow.
It's a PITA to use these damn things, yellow especially. Usually takes 2 coats about 2 hours apart over rustoleum auto type primer, then hang'em in line with the furnace discharge.
Been using vinegar to de-rust the small stuff and using a wire wheel, works great. Still have a few small parts to sand blast though. Stuff w/places I can't get at w/a DA or wire wheel.Just hope my air line thaws out today so I can use the blast cabinet outside. Gonna be 44 here so the weather guesser says.
Love your R/R stuff!!

Latest posts

Back