The railroad thread...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
250466.gif

You're right, Don - I'd never thought about it before, but even this old farmboy from Minnesota could understand that explanation. Thanks.

That will be great to see with a full head of steam. I can hear people yelling about air polution already when it makes its 'tour' runs.

Oh Scott, is that neat! This seems to have been taken recently...can you imagine all that steam in some winter air ? Probabily someone moaning about the smoke from the stack, but it will be ok !

I would LOVE to see the 611 run again. I remember seeing it twice when I was younger. I was still living at home, so pre '92, the first time I saw it, it was running on the line that runs East-West from a large Railyard in Decatur, through Tolono, Homer, Fairmount, Catlin and then turns NorthEast and heads up to Danville, Williamsport, In and eventually through Lafayette, In. It was carrying passengers that time, and was in full steam when it crossed the grade crossing north of Mom and Dad's between Fairmount and Catlin. We "chased" it to Danville where it made a passenger stop in Downtown Danville.

The other time I saw it, was during some type of work stoppage. The 611 was sitting on a siding the the Lyons Yard in Tilton, Il. It was on the siding closest to a small gravel area. It was sitting there, still "hot" waiting to be moved again once the stoppage was over. We heard it was there and went to see it. This time, it was not like the previous trip, there were not mass ammounts of people around it, just a handful that found out it was there. We were able to walk up to it, and be close enough to touch it. We spent I would say at least an hour there, just walking around and looking it over. This was an absolutely amazing experiencpe. I have been "up close" with diesel locomotives, but they have NOTHING on a steam locomotive. A steam engine is very much alive. You can feel it, see it, smell it..... you can hear it "breathe" and just feel its presence. If you can see a live working steam locomotive, I highly recommend it. I hope to see it again now that it has been brought back to life. The other one that I would like to see is a "Big Boy"...... that would be really cool!!!!

I just may visit this FORUM occasionally as I am a retired Locomotive Engr.(I drove em' for 30+ yrs.Mostly Wyo Minn and points between. Locomotiveman Tom

The latest Railroad Craze as of 2015. Natural Gas Locomotives. Problem will be refueling stations. LocomotivemanTom

300219.jpg

I kid you not... In the late 70's BN had Locomotives modified to burn powdered Coal.'Coal Paks' like Dumpsters were clipped to sides of big new Locomotives. It worked...sorta. NatGas will work...really.Locomotiveman Tom

300223.jpg

300222.jpg

Latest posts

Back