• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The railroad thread...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcmeen

displayname
Bryan D. McMeen, Keeper of the Holy Hy-Tran
Thought I'd share a few photo galleries with the (surprising) number of railfans here. Also known to some railroaders as FRNs (****ing Rail Nuts), but we won't go there
lol.gif

Here's a couple of Union Pacific "specials" that have been parked at CPT (Chicago Passenger Terminal):

http://www.mcmeen.net/CPT20070320

http://www.mcmeen.net/CPT20070320

I've got more pics at my site, www.mcmeen.net

Bryan-
I'll be driving right past one of those at the grain elevator in Chamberlain, SD on the way to fire school tomorrow. They've got a one of the UP Centennial units parked there. Rotting away sadly.

It really is to bad to see what has become of really great parts of history. If it hasen't been taken care of by now it maybe to late and this stuff can't be replaced. We are fourtunate enough to have a railroad museum a couple of hours away in Greenbay. The DD40x's showed just what could be done, after all the Big Boy is a pretty hard act to follow.
bouncy.gif

I wish the IRM could get the really big diesel they have from UP up and running. Sorry to say I'm not as big into trains as I was so the models and names slip my mind of most equipment. Walked thru the shed where the Zephur is held and alot of steam equip. Those drive wheels are amazing, about the only thing that can make me feel small, I'm 6' 5".

Earl -

If IRM hadn't BROKEN the Zephyr by backing it over a spring switch, they'd have something more to run than the stupid caboose train
bash.gif

Hopefully Tedd chimes in here - as an ex-volunteer, he can explain the political BS that makes or breaks a restoration project.

Allen -

UPRR uses it because they can
lol.gif
Probably just as wasteful as pulling it with their Challenger...

Wyatt -

Like Earl said, IRM's isn't in much better shape, probably.

The History Channel - The Boneyard - Show on scraping out Rail Road Engines JUNE 28<sup>th</sup> 9/8ct

I started watching it tonight it was pretty interesting and i learned some new stuff

They've been working on the railroad around here, so I took some pictures of some of the equipment they use. Primarily they are replacing ties, redoing grade crossings, and the like. They moved through Boring MD, where I live in the last couple of days. Most of these pictures were taken in Arcadia, or at a convenience store that backs up to the railroad about a mile up the road

93898.jpg

Here they have staged ties along the right of way. I talked to one of the workers, they are replacing about 1300 ties per mile, or about one in every 3 or so.

93899.jpg

Here they have marked ties that they have deemed unfit for further service.

93900.jpg

I think this machine pulls the spikes and the bearing plates out. Some of the bearing plates are reused, some are replaced. A small crane with a magnet picks up the discarded hardware.

93901.jpg

This machine pulls the ties from beneath the rails. Hydraulic jacks pick up the rails and an arm grabs the tie and pulls it out. Often machines worked in pairs, either working on alternate ties, or one would work on the left rail while the other worked on the right.

Here is part two, once the guys finished lunch, they started putting the new ties in.

93918.jpg

A small crane with a grappling hook stages the new ties

93919.jpg

A large machine similar to the one that pulls the ties pushes in the new ones.

93920.jpg

This worker is installing the new bearing plates. The machine lifts the rail slightly and the operator slips it under

93921.jpg

This machine automatically positions and hammers the new spikes. It is like a giant nailgun, it works both rails on the inside and outside of the rails

93922.jpg

Here is a closeup of the spike hammering machine.

93923.jpg

This machine helps to level out the gravel after installing the spikes

93924.jpg

This big machine with the long boom sticking out in front packs ballast under the ties. It lifts the rails, and fingers on each side force ballast under each tie. The large boom sticking out in front has a photoelectric device to ensure that the rails stay level.

93925.jpg

Here is a closeup of the ballast packer in action at the crossing in Arcadia.

I work for G.E. building the evo locomotive engine. They are the most fuel efficient Diesel out there and we can not build them fast enough. Pretty neat seeing something you built going down the track.

Not allowed to take pictures in the plant Kendall, Sorry. If you go to getransportation.com there are some there.

A bunch of us went on a bike ride today to visit an old movie star who is under the weather right now...I took some pictures of her - any guesses as to what and who? (She was very popular just a few years ago, starred with Tom Hanks.....)

192035.jpg

192036.jpg

192037.jpg

192038.jpg

Gerry, Pere Marquette 1225, Lima Locomotive Works,1941, 2-8-4, movie "Polar Express"

Pere Marquette 1225 is housed now at the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, Michigan. She is currently undergoing a $600,000.00 boiler rebuild to meet the 15 year (1500 hour) rebuild/re-certification requirement. This is an all volunteer effort, like the original restoration and the ongoing operation of the locomotive. We were lucky enough to get a tour that included the shop where 1225 is at....

192115.jpg

192116.jpg

192117.jpg

The tender

192118.jpg

Most of the boiler tubes are in this pile. EVERY ONE has to undergo an ultrasound check....

192119.jpg

Big bunch of tube....

192120.jpg

My freind Denny standing about 10 feet in front of a driver. Denny is about 6'5"...

192121.jpg

192122.jpg

Hitch... each tab is about 5" thick...

192123.jpg

Inside the firebox - it's big!! That's a 41/2 inch angle grinder down in there...

192124.jpg

192125.jpg

Engineer's seat....

192126.jpg

Latest posts

Back