• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The railroad thread...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan, I'd hear a train long before it was anywhere near me, I didn't have an mp3 player on with ear buds blaring...

223324.jpg

BTW, the Arcola Train Bridge will be 100 years old this June:

223325.jpg

RE: Brians 'Keep off the tracks' sign...So why is there a hand rail all the way across the bridge that Kraig took pictures of ? ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Allen, for RR maintenance personal... or for the fire dept. when the bridge catches fire from bad/sparking wheel bearings on the train.

223327.jpg

223328.jpg

223329.jpg

223330.jpg

Photos taken by me on July 30, 2005.

Ah yes, sparking wheels! Watched many times my FD working on brush fires in the summer when the rare freight train went thru a field of dry grass. Hope those guys arn't afraid of heights.

A few years back we almost had the whole county out when BNSF had a "bearing issue"! In about 2 weeks it'll be grass fire season again around here.

The sparking issue is different from what happened a couple of years ago here in Rockford when rain water burst a bank took out the rail line at a crossing and caused a train pulling tankers of ethonal to derail, and explode into a inferno and killing a ladie in a van at the crossing.

I was in Boone Iowa this week and drove down to see the Kate Shelly Bridge again. Of course the new bridge is there now, but that story is interesting to me. This young girl must have been educated beyond her years.

The picture of the boy walking across
the rail bridge was of interest to me.
I have an ancestor who lived in Nassau
County FL who was killed by a train
doing that very thing around 1950.

Hmmm does anyone here happen to be into Garden or model railroading? I'm planning to put my G scale set in the garden- finally got one in the right shape!
226315.gif

Scott Tanner... Looking for "round tuits"...
That was nice to see a C N Canadian National train on the rails. I do remember when they made two runs past our home when I was just a boy .You could feel it in the ground as they went past.

I don't want a car to stall on a crossing with that coming down the tracks

I've actually ridden that Strasburg line, it is in Pennsylvania dutch country outside Lancaster PA. (During the summer). Neat experience... They also have a "Motel" made up of about 2 dozen cabooses from a lot of different rail lines..

Latest posts

Back