The railroad thread...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a view from 'Pusher Locomotive' of the Heavy-Duty Plow widening out a drift about 16' deep near Stockholm,SD in 1997. Wings can be widened to 40' if needed for Landslides etc.

300877.jpg

Locomotives can and will be used as 'Battering Ram' Snowplows if need be. With this one, I cut over the controls and ran from the 2nd Locomotive to avoid the chance of being crushed had the windows caved in when hitting the drift near Maynard, MN. in 1997. Snow snuffed out the roof AirIntake, but we got thru it.Locomotiveman Tom

300926.jpg

Milwaukee #261 came through Willmar a few months ago. Rated at 4,500/hp and tipping the scales at over 400,000/lbs. it is one of the World's largest steam engines operating as of 2015. Locomotiveman Tom

301033.jpg

Tom, I am enjoying all the train photos, please keep them coming. I've seen #261 in person a few times in the past.
happy.gif

I worked for American Railcar Industries as a designer for a few years. That was ALOT of fun.

I've also seen 3 of the UP 4-8-8-4 engines now. I know one is coming back together to be used of executives and special clients.

One reason Milwaukee #261 runs so good is that it was one of the last steam engines built. It has Timken Roller Bearings and only saw 10/yrs of use after being built in '44' so it was in good shape for it's rebuild. Right to the end..I still squirmed a little running big Loco's fast over river bridges on rails only 4'8" apart. Looking down all you see is water wa-aay down there. Tom

Here I am standing alongside #2523 parked here in Willmar, MN. Men currently living in Willmar in 2015 ran it. They say they know for a FACT it was good for 100/mph. 73" drive wheels. Used in 'Fast Mail' or 'Fresh Cherries' or 'Chinese Silk' service from West Coast to Chicago.

301036.jpg

Jeff, Well...so you want to crawl in the Baldwin's firebox, eh?? OK,fine, what time should we expect you? 6,300 sq/ft of Total heating surface @ 210/psi can make some serious heat. This one was an Oil-burner, something like 5,800/gallons. She could haul....

301039.jpg

Thanks Tom for all the info. and pictures. The tall wooden bridges remind me of the Kate Shelley story. I visited the bridge in Boone Iowa last summer.

Here's a photo of the depot in my home town where I still live. I have no idea of the date this was taken.

Many were the hours I spent there as well as the blacksmith shop after school in the 50's We lost the depot in the late 60's. The slab it sat on is still there I believe.

301042.jpg

Tom that looks like Cleaver Brooks green color paint. Heres a picture of my boilers.

301049.jpg

301050.jpg

Actually,Jeff, Baldwin made everything in-shop for their Steam Locomotives. Amazing for it's time, from a Wooden Model Shop to Wheel Casting line to rolling and riveting the Boiler jackets. Not like Boeing or GE or AGCO nowadays. Tom

Preparing to 'Wide-wing' a large snowdrift after punching thru. Large RR snowplows were made by the Jordan Co. Most were built in the 1930's and used heavily to this day.

301095.jpg

Widening the Cut. Lateral forces are intense if it's deep snow on one side and a cliff on the other. But some days are like that. Locomotiveman Tom

301098.jpg

A Railroad 'Multi-tool'. Kershaw makes it. It's a plow, it's a Snowblower, it's a broom. All business. Locomotiveman Tom

301127.jpg

Railroads spec everything HEAVY. The rock/snow whippers are steel cables encased in extreme service plastic. Very effective track cleaner. Locomotiveman Tom

301130.jpg

Where the Snow hits the fan. The 'Business End' beneath a Kershaw. I'd venture a guess the auger flighting is 1/2" thick material. Rocks, snow, roadkill...all gone out the chute. Locomotiveman Tom

board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back